Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2017, 07:49 AM   #1
juliathetraveler

M.O.C. #20634
Black holding tank question - Model 3160RL

Hello everyone,

We just purchased a new Montana 3160RL and are getting all settled in. I've read through the very detail owner's manual (NOT!) and cannot find information concerning the black holding tank.

Here's my question, according to my monitor panel, there are 2 holding tanks for both the black and the grey waters. I'm not concerned about the grey water tanks but how exactly do 2 black water tanks work? On my other RV we only had the 1 black and the 1 grey tank. So the question I have is, how is the holding water being distributed between both tanks? I've put the holding tank treatment and 4 toilet fulls of water into the black tank (my standard procedure after dumping my tanks) and my readings are, one tank is 1/3 full and the other is empty. So if the tanks simply fill up one and then spill over to the other, how is the tank treatment getting into the second tank? Reason I'm asking is, in the 2 years we've been doing this full-time RV thing, we've had one black tank issue (when we switched our holding tank treatment, NEVER AGAIN!) and it wasn't a pleasurable experience and not one I ever want to repeat, so I want to make sure I'm starting things out right on this new RV.

Appreciate any help. Thank you, Julia.

juliathetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #2
Maurice45
Established Member

M.O.C. #18380
Send a message via AIM to Maurice45
Hi, We have that same model and there 2 grays and only one black tank. Are you certain you have 2 for black water?
Maurice45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
You only have one black tank. They have a standard panel for all makes, some models have two bathrooms so they have two black tanks. This way they dont have to have a special panel for the different models. A way of cutting cost .

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
adams7806
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice45 View Post
Hi, We have that same model and there 2 grays and only one black tank. Are you certain you have 2 for black water?
We agree with Maurice45. We have a 3160RL and it has 1 black and 2 gray tanks.
adams7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You will eventually learn to ignore the monitor panel for tank levels, except for maybe the fresh tank. Some have been able to maintain the level system, but on most rigs, the system always shows full or close to that, even with all tanks empty. Just use a good tank treatment, drain when you feel the tanks need draining. We wait until the black tank burps, and the grey tanks we drain every day or two.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
juliathetraveler

M.O.C. #20634
Thank you all for your replies. I thought the black was only 1 tank and now understand that the second reading is for a black tank/2nd bath that I do not have on my model. I'll ignore that monitor and use the one only.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:02 AM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Imo it is bad advise to wait for a tank to burp. Do a search for waste tank leaks and replacement. These tanks are notorious for leaks because of how they are made.

When they are overfull they expand and separate at the top where the 2 parts of the tank are glued together.

Never wait until a tank is full to dump and never travel with more than a few gallons in the tanks
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #8
juliathetraveler

M.O.C. #20634
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Imo it is bad advise to wait for a tank to burp. Do a search for waste tank leaks and replacement. These tanks are notorious for leaks because of how they are made.

When they are overfull they expand and separate at the top where the 2 parts of the tank are glued together.

Never wait until a tank is full to dump and never travel with more than a few gallons in the tanks

Great advise! Thank you for your help. I normally always dump every 5 days or when the tank is reading 3/4 full, which is 99% of the time on the 5th day. I did not know that these tanks have had problems with leaking though and we'll keep an eye on it.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliathetraveler View Post
Great advise! Thank you for your help. I normally always dump every 5 days or when the tank is reading 3/4 full, which is 99% of the time on the 5th day. I did not know that these tanks have had problems with leaking though and we'll keep an eye on it.
Yes, it's good to have a routine and not rely on the faulty lights. There are 2 of us full timing and I dump every 7 days without fail. Usually about 30 gallons out of a 50 gallon tank. I tested it using my portable tank once when not on FHU.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote