Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2004, 04:36 PM   #1
Montana_2180
Established Member

M.O.C. #2180
Short Bed Hitch Requirement?

Hey all, new here. I'm buying a 2002 3575 RL and the guy has a hitch as part of the deal. It is NOT a slider hitch and I have a short bed 2003 F-350 4x4 (see Sig)...

Will this be a problem in that it is not a slider. I understand it rocks in all directions, but, alas, no slide.

Before I go and have it installed, how much trouble am I going to be in? I measured the pin and the approximate location of where the hitch would be and it is about 3 feet from the back of my cab to the front of where the trailer would be.

Opinions? Advice?

If I can get by and not have to drop $1K or so on a slider, I'd be very happy.

This is my first 5er (just sold a 30 Sportsmen TT) and I will be going fulltime so this will be an adventure!

Thanks,

Chip

Montana_2180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Welcome to the Forum, hope all Your questions are answered and You find some useful info here.

I would reccomend a slider. Even if You just get a manual one it is worth the money. You never know when You will get in a jam and need it. Not paying attention can cost more in damage to the truck and trailer than the investment in the slider hitch.

There are automatic sliders but they are more $$ and that is really up to You, there are members here that do use them and love them.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:50 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also would recommend the slider. You didn't say which hitch you have but I know the Reese 15K Classic and 16k Classic can have a slider added at considerably less than $1k. I don't recall the exact price but it was more like $200 to $300. It's best to install the slider first. The hitch then mounts to the slider. If a different brand, then I don't know how it works or if a slider is available.

In over 8 years we've 'had' to use the slider just four times. Two of those times we could have just taken a different site that didn't require the slider. Once we would have had to go to a different RV Park. The other time we could have backed out of the pull through site but it had a nasty dogleg with trees and I wasn't keen on trying it. It also had a forward exit to a narrow road with trees on both corners of our site so the slider was the only way to get out going forward.

The Montana has a curved nose which will give you more turning radius than most fifths. Also, if you have them mount the hitch so the pin center is directly over the axle, that gives you more turning radius without upsetting the truck's balance. When we had this one installed the tech told me that's the proper way to install in a shortbed, not two inches forward of the axle as in a longbed. We've been very satisfied with it in this location.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:18 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I would go with the slider. Let us know what you decide. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:23 PM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
With having a short bed truck a slider is a must.I use my slider every time out while going to my spot in a camp ground.Its just good insurance aganist hitting the cab of the truck and blowing out the back window.if money is no concern I would go with the 16k pull rite super glide hitch.No need to manual slide it does it automatic.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:48 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
In my opinion, I would get a hitch with a slider for sure. I have the PullRite Superglide 16k fully automatic sliding hitch and would not be without it. My thought was if one is going to spend this much money on a coach why cheap out on the most important part of the towing factor. I dont know how many times I have done full U-turns with my 3400RL and have not had trouble yet. There are some really narrow single lane turns I have to make getting into my neighborhood, and being 38+ feet of trailer behind, I would not be able to make them without the slider. Damage that can occur from the coach and truck coming into contact can cost upwards of $3,500. More than the cost of a slider hitch installed. Again, my opinion get a slider even it you do go with the manual. You wont be sorry you did.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:50 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Only one thing to say...Read my signature.

I would not be without my Pullrite slider in my shortbed. It's an automatic slide and just the piece of mind of having it back there makes it worth the Xtra $$$.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 02:52 AM   #8
Montana_2180
Established Member

M.O.C. #2180
Wow, 6 replies!!

Thanks, all...looks like I'm going with the slider (I knew that ) if all 6 of you are saying so.

Anybody see a problem with my tow vehicle and that trailer? Hope not...that would be a little tougher than a hitch to upgrade...

Chip
Old 10-13-2004, 05:28 AM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
While I can't disagree with the 6 posts in favour of a slider, I must add that we have been managing with a fixed hitch in my Short box Chev. truck. Yes, you do need to be aware of the possibility of hitting the back of the truck if you make a tight turn (usually while backing into a space), but as long as you pay attention, you can get by without a slider. About the tightest space I have get into is our own driveway at home, so I get a fair bit of practice. If you want to delay the decision and see how you make out, I don't think you will have a lot of trouble, but do practice with it so you know how much room you have to work with. If you have the $ available, sure, go for the slider, go for the Pull-rite, they are certainly helpful, but not essential.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:50 AM   #10
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
We too have a slider hitch in our short bed but have not had to use it. We were in some pretty hairy situations and I think my husband forgot we had it LOL. It's a nice thing to have just in case.......

As far as your tow vehicle and Montana combination, I'm not sure if you are going to have any problems. They don't have the specs for that unit on the Montana site any longer but I'm guessing it's around 10,500# dry weight (at least). You don't say which V10 you have, you could pull anywhere from 10,200# up to 13,200# depending on which engine you have.

Good luck and congrats on your decision.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:09 AM   #11
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
definitely a slider. I can't tell you how many people I've seen with damage to both their truck and camper because of a shortbed truck.many times they had the slider, but forgot to use it!!! there isn't anything wrong with a shortbed truck, if used properly.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:13 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 3575Owner

Wow, 6 replies!!

Thanks, all...looks like I'm going with the slider (I knew that ) if all 6 of you are saying so.

Anybody see a problem with my tow vehicle and that trailer? Hope not...that would be a little tougher than a hitch to upgrade...

Chip
Well now that you mention it I do see a big problem.
The Montana trailer is fine. It's the Ford you got up front. Iffn it was me I'd be gettin me a Chevy.

Now what was a Chevy man to do? Leave it alone you say?---NOT!
You don't know me do you?

Actually your 3575RL/F350 combo should work fine. But only after you add that PullRite.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:09 PM   #13
Montana_2180
Established Member

M.O.C. #2180
Again, thanks to all...but it looks like I will have to forgo the slider (I just found this info out)...

Seems the hitch I'm getting is a very expenisve "Fabulous Fiver" or something like that...sorry, not sure of the exact brand...

Anyhow, the slider kit for it is around $2K according to the trailer place installing it so I think I will be passing on the slider and will sell the hitch and get a different one later...I won't be pulling the trailer much now as it is so I should be OK...

Glen: Just remember, anytime you need me to pull your bowtie out of a jam...just call, that Ford will pull the paint off that Chevy any day! Hah!

I know you were teasing, as was I...and I enjoy the brand rivalry...as long as one keeps it respectful, as you did...

I'll let you all know how I do...I pick it up Sat...

Chip
Old 10-13-2004, 02:43 PM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Glen, 3575Owner doesn't know you - the paint on a Chevy doesn't come off like on the Ford. Again, just kidding. Your dealer should be able to give you a different hitch for very little additional money and sell that one to someone with a long box. I don't know your dealer, but most will go out of their way to avoid you having a problem down the road. We have a seasonal site that we need to jack-knife to get into and couldn't do it without the slider. I have been in your situation many times in my life and everytime I did something that I knew I shouldn't do, I found out why I shouldn't have done it. Hope you have good luck with your new unit and welcome to the forum.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:57 PM   #15
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
3575Owner
I pulled a 5ver with a short bed truck & no slider. I did pop the back glass once & Ins. replaced that. If you watch real close you should be alright.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 03:02 AM   #16
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Well I see several pros and cons, I pull with 2001 F250 PSD CC, SRW without a slider hitch and pull a 3685FL 37'3" in lentgh. Before i bought I hooked up to a 3400 and towed it around for about 40 miles even took it home to make sure I would not have trouble backing into our RV shed from our neighbor hood street. By having crew cab you cannot jack knife the unti doesn't have the turning radius. Coach hitting the cab was a concern to us as well so I took it to parking lot and made as close to 90 degree turns as I could both left and right with someone watching the truck cab and camper all the way. Never got claoe came about 3-4 inches from cab with it jacked as hard as we could get it the coach wheels were following the truck so we knew it was as clsoe as it would get. 3-4 inches is as good as mile when you are taking it slow in your turns and evne backing. If it was going to be problem I would have went with the pull rite 16K fully automatic. if you haev to get out to use manual slidepulling forward to make a turn what good is it, manaul in my mind are good for backing only. We have Reese 15K trial boos hitch which at this time seems to work just fine. If and when I trade trucks I might would install a Pull Rite 16K then, but stray where we are for now. Just my opinion, that's the good thing about this forum.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 01:36 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ouch! 2 grand for a slider? Never heard of that for an add-on slider. For that much you're getting into pullrite superglide territory and that one is worth the cost, in my book. As rames14 said, your dealer should be able to put you into a good hitch with slider for much, much less than that. If you really want to keep the hitch you have, that's another matter.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 02:32 PM   #18
Montana_2180
Established Member

M.O.C. #2180
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Ouch! 2 grand for a slider? Never heard of that for an add-on slider. For that much you're getting into pullrite superglide territory and that one is worth the cost, in my book. As rames14 said, your dealer should be able to put you into a good hitch with slider for much, much less than that. If you really want to keep the hitch you have, that's another matter.
True enough on all you said above Steve...but the good news is, I jockeyed it around quite a bit after I first hooked up to it and I have to say, I ould have to make a drastic maneuver to hit the cab...but I'm not trying to be argumentative...eventually i think i will get the slider...just to be safe...as it is, I have a Super 5th hitch...with a 17.5K load range...so i'll stick with that for now.

Thanks all...

Chip
Old 10-19-2004, 06:33 AM   #19
Montana_2125

M.O.C. #2125
I don't think there is a good argument for NOT having a slider on a short bed truck. My first trip out with a new 3400RL had me backing down an incline to almost a 90 deg turn along with it (boat ramp) because the gate was locked at the exit. I am thankful that I had a slider. I now think I will explore installing a superglide.
Montana_2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:07 AM   #20
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pull100

I now think I will explore installing a superglide.
And I know you will not be disappointed.
In an earlier reply Melissa mentioned that she thinks her husband forgot he even has a slider because they have not needed it. I do hope he remembers the first time he actually needs it and before any damage is done.
The point I am trying to make is it doesn't matter whether or not I remember having one. The Pulltite Superglide is back there and I don't have to remember to pull some lever as it is fully automatic. It will do it's job regardless.