Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2015, 11:47 PM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Final warranty slap-in-the-face

Stopped for a scheduled appointment at Lazy Days yesterday. We still had a few minor warranty repair/replacement issues.

Backstory: appointment in December they had to order replacement ceiling LED bulb, replacement emergency window latch, and replacement sink cover that warped. Lazy Days contacted me in March and told me that all parts were in.

We made the May appointment and also informed them of our step recall. "No problem on step recall". They wanted us to get the unit there as early as possible. So, we arrived just before 10:00 am for our 11:00 am appointment time.

At 3:30 pm they were done with our unit.
LED Bulb: Keystone sent a cover and not a bulb. Not fixed.
Sink Cover: Missing from parts department.
Window Latch: Replaced.
Step Recall: They had wrong kit for our recall.

Lazy Days assured us that they would ship all parts to us when they received them at some future date, thus giving us the honor of doing the repairs ourselves or finding a willing dealership.

You just can't beat this kind of customer service!

Old 05-09-2015, 02:32 AM   #2
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
It seems like getting the correct parts from Keystone is getting to be a big issue.

Most manufacturers purchase components from the lowest bidder. This often leads to mass confusion when you try to order replacement parts.
It would be nice if the RV industry would make build sheets and system schematics available to the consumer.

I had to replace a front door strut on ours and the incorrect part was sent three times.
hybridhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:35 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Having wintered in Maderia Beach the past 10 years, 40 minutes from Lazy Days, folks in our park have not given Lazy Days high marks for service unless you have a high end Class A diesel pusher and join their owners club. Fellow in our park bought a HR Presidential Fifth Wheel, did not do a good PDI, got it in our park, found some serious issues within the first three days, and had to wait 7 weeks to get it back in to Lazy Days for the initial look.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:40 AM   #4
captl27
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16077
Sorry for your troubles. It is amazing and a shame that this stuff keeps happening. I just had my 5er in for replacement of a leveling jack under warranty, it cost me 200 to 300 to get the unit there and get it back. On returning home and checking there work I found that they had not replaced the lost hydraulic fluid. I took 3 phone calls and 2 weeks to get them to send me 2 qt of fluid. The first call they promised to send me the oil, called a week later they said they would check and get back to me. They never did. Finally on the 3 call they send the oil and I got it the next day. Hope every thing works out and that is the end of your problems.
captl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:45 AM   #5
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
We bought our rig at Lazy Days, and have had 99% of our service done there over the last 6 years. There were times when they got things right and times when I wanted to wring a few necks. I hate leaving the rig with them, because then it takes forever to get things done. Many times it is because suppliers/manufacturers are slow getting parts to them, but many times it is just no urgency on their part to get me done and out of their hair.

Recently we went shopping for some camping staples at CW down the road, and ran into our LD salesman, the one who sold us the Montana. We had been told by LD that he had retired. He said BS! Lazy Days had reorganized the sales department, and maybe the rest of the company, and let go anyone over 60. That kind of stuff really grates my nerves, and makes me wary of any outfit that would do that. I'm less inclined to do business with them at this point.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:06 AM   #6
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
What a bumber. Pull it 3 hours, wrong parts, no parts.

The steps? I thought there was only one part number for the step recall. There are 3 bags of parts in the box. Depends on the rivet number in the 2/3 step as to what bag use use?

One bag is marked #80. It is for top step rivet marked "08"
One bag is marked #96. It is for 2/3 step rivet marked "96"
One bag is marked #55. it is for 2/3 step rivet marked "55"

The top step rivet is drilled out with a 3/8" drill bit. The bolt is 3/8-16 x 1 1/4" grade 5. (top step rivet is one to the rear of the step.

2/3 step. If rivet is a #96 drill out with a 3/8" drill. Bolt is 3/8-16 x 1"

2/3 step. If rivet is a #55 drill out with a 7/16" drill. Bolt is 7/16-14 x 1".

All bolts grade 5. All nuts "stover" type. All available at any decent hardware store. I watched while they did my steps. About a 30 minute repair. They either had a recall box of parts or they did not. No way they had the "wrong" parts.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Always wondered about them, now I know not to bother. Sorry to hear about your experience.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #8
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Iretired06, you are correct. They do bend over backwards for the high end Class A buyers. It doesn't take someone long to recognize that if you spend a few hours in the waiting areas of Lazy Days, or the service department.

I hope they are making all the money they need to off those high end buyers, because I would never purchase another fiver from them no matter how cheap I thought their price was!
Old 05-10-2015, 02:05 AM   #9
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I sounds like they live up to their company name "LAZY".
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:21 AM   #10
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I do remember the first 2 years I had the Big Sky they were great. I had a service adviser named Sean who bent over backwards to make sure things were done right and quickly. He was so good that they promoted him to service adviser to the high end motor homes! He had to wear a tie after that,and NOT allowed to associate with the likes of me! (Although he was always very courteous if I did run into him!) He was a class act and after that I had a string of dips for advisers.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:41 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ordering parts can be a big problem. I am on the phone or sending E mail near every day to insure that we get the parts we ordered. There are so many people involved. The dealer, Keystone, The vendor. Keystone does not stock parts. Think about the vast number of brands and models Keystone supports
They would have to have a mile long warehouse to stock all the parts. Also as any businessman knows inventory on the shelf is $$ not doing anything.
Inventory is delivered every day for that days production. Vendors are no better they produce what they are contracted for again inventory on the shelf is money not working.

The only way we were sure that we got the right tanks was to drop the tanks and copy the part number off the tanks. We got the invoice from the dealer that the order was placed then a verification from Keystone that they got the order then a verification that is has been shipped. There was a lot of co ordination between these different people and I was the coordinator. The result is 8 days from ordering the parts to the parts at the dealership.

Our dealer told us the there was usually 10 days between ordering a part and it being shipped any brand. If your part has been on order for more than 10 days and not shipped something has gone wrong and we need to get involved.

The folks we talked to in Owners relations were always helpful. In fact I pestered the crap out of them but they always provided great service.

That area is again booming vendors and manufacturers can not keep up with the demand and that does not help any.

I am not making excuses for the manufacturers or the vendors but that is how I see it and by getting involved in the process and understanding the process we have no complaints.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:30 AM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Now you know why I do it all myself.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote