Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2004, 02:12 PM   #1
Montana_1680

M.O.C. #1680
Break in the skin

During this past winter, my 2002 Montana suffered a 14" crack in the fiberglass(?)plastic(?) skin next to the front compartment under the front bedroom. Something must have hit it pretty hard to cause the break. It had been stored at the time.
Anyway, I have an estimate of just under $1,000 to replace that section of skin. Can this skin be repaired, and if so, how?

Thanks for any help

Montana_1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:19 PM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
First of all take some good pictures and send them by registered mail to Team Montana at Keystone. Some of the bedroom cracks are defects and Keystone may take care of it. The fix is to install an expansion joint in that area. A crack at the bedroom slide is a common problem. Don't forget to tell them that you are an MOC member. Do it as soon as possible.

14 inches is the longest one I have heard of.

Welcome the the MOC Gary.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:49 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
gary237,

is this under the slide itself, OR is it under the bedroom (under the overhang created by the hitch, near the compartment that contains the battery, etc.)??

I saw a unit in Texas that had a crack UNDER the bedroom, was caused by a rock during transport. In fact, I think the fellow that owned it, said this was the second time it had happened to him. He had quite a little hole where the rock hit and it actually splintered in several directions. I used to have photos of it, cause I helped him email them to his insurance agent and dealer. Not sure I still have them tho, and not sure where to look.

The crack UNDER the slide is what lighingjack11 is referring to, there are a number of posts here on the forum about that, try the search engine to find those posts.

Welcome to the forum, there is so much great information here, hope you enjoy!!

Cheers
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gary, I assume it was some kind of collision while in storage? Our first Montana developed some bubbles on the skin. It was not the high-gloss but the standard skin. Montana fixed it by cutting out the bad parts and patching in a replacement, then filling the lines. It was very well done. Actually, they had a commercial RV repair facility do it for me. Hope this helps.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 08:51 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Welcome and thanks for the posting. Good info to know. Happyrving...
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote