Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2004, 12:39 AM   #1
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
hot water heater designed to leak!

after my ordeals with trying to get my constant leak fixed and for a lack of ideas of how to fix it....they are now telling me that they are designed to leak like that! thats got to be the strangest thing I've ever heard! I have owned 5 different units and none of them have ever leaked! they say the only reason that I notice this one is because the heater is on the patio side in this unit.I just want to know it's fixed right this time before my warrenty runs out.they have worked on it at least 4 times.

BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 01:32 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I have never noticed mine leaking. In fact, none of my water heaters have leaked. Where is it leaking from. I have had some water escape from the blow-off valve periodically but not a constant leak.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 02:00 AM   #3
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
BillyRay, I would take it to another dealer and see what they have to say. I wouldn't let the know what the others have said.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 03:23 AM   #4
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
No Hot Water Heater I've ever seen was "designed" to leak a little! Our heater does NOT leak .... even a little! Keep working with them to fix it correctly. Maybe it's time to contact Keystone directly and let them know what is going on. Good luck.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 04:40 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
BillyRay,

Just a thought, cannot remember in the posts you have made on this hot water heater situation, but have you tried to contact the hot water heater manufacturer to see what they say??

Did you (we) get any paper work/directions on the hot water heater when we took delivery??

What is the actual warranty ON the hot water heater??

I think we will probably all agree, they were not "designed" to leak a little. How silly!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 04:47 AM   #6
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Just a thought, cannot remember in the posts you have made on this hot water heater situation
========================================

Is it leaking around the sacrificial anode, out of the pressure release valve or where? Strange.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 07:50 AM   #7
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
Billy Ray

The hot water heater is designed to direct water away from unit if it leaks. It would be a stretch to say the unit is designed to leak. It sounds like to you may have a bad seal around the annode rod or a weak T&P valve. If the leak is at the T&P valve then it should be checked or changed out. It the T&P valve is not defective then your unit may be overheating and building up too much pressure. The T&P valve is a safety device but should not leak constantly.

As a previous post suggested, take it to another dealer for a second opinion.

Good Luck
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 09:05 AM   #8
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the posting. Something to watch for. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 03:50 PM   #9
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
This morning my husband had me shut off the hot water heater. We thought it was over heating. There was water coming out the pressure valve. Wonder if it is the same problem as you?

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:32 AM   #10
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
Billy Ray,

I have the same model as you and mine is not leaking. I haven’t read all of your posts on this subject but I have seen most of them. It seems like they are trying to brush you off because they don’t want to replace the hot water heater. The only place it “is designed to leak” is the pressure relief valve. That is usually caused by the water temperature being too high. You have already had the thermostat replaced so I imagine the temperature is not too high. Going back to my original thought, I just don’t think they want to deal with replacing the unit. I would give Keystone a call and see what they want to do for you.

Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:02 PM   #11
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Our hot water tanks are designed to have an air space at the top inside the tank. This allows for the expansion of the water as it heats up without over pressurizing the hot water system. Over a preiod of time this "air bubble" will shrink in size causing over pressureisation. It may need to be recharged. We should all do this once in a while. Instead of bleeding all the air out of our water hose when hooking up to city water, leave the air in the hose and turn on one of the hot water faucets a little to allow the air to run through the H/W tank. This will recharge the tank. If we don't do this once in a while our H/W tanks should leak out the pressure valve. If yours is leaking there this quite possibly is the problem. I have known people to have replaced their pressure valves only to find out they only had to recharge their tank.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote