Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Lost one of our Girls

Hello to all,

I have been out of touch with the forum for a couple months as I have had a couple surgeries, and actually have one more in about a week. So, I've been laying pretty low.

Anyway, enough about me... We never had children, and our pets have always been our "kids". Sophie, the one sitting in the avatar, started to act different a couple months ago. We treated for a couple symptoms which seemed to take care of things. Then she kept getting worse. Long story short, we took her in for an ultrasound about two weeks ago, and she had cancer. The darn cancer by the time we discovered it, took her health away extremely fast. We had to put her to sleep just a week ago. She was thirteen, and since I don't work, I have been with her and Carmen since they were both puppies. As all the pet people know, it really hurts to say goodbye, especially for me when we have to make that choice to euthanize.

I think Ron and Cathie (CATCRAW) are the only MOCers to have met Sophie, but we wanted to share this with the MOC family. We really miss our girl. It is also hard to see poor Carmen this past week. We can tell she misses her, and she has been just as sad and depressed as we have I think.

Greg and Kris

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sorry to hear about your loss. Will be praying for your upcoming surgery.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Sorry to hear about your loss. Will be praying for your upcoming surgery.
Thanks very much Dick, I appreciate it.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
We understand your pain. We miss our "kids" terribly but now have a toy Aussie that keeps us both entertained and busy. You'll always have a hole in your soul that will never be filled but remember all the good times and love that you shared. It will bring you comfort and solace in the days ahead.
We wish you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Greg and Kris,
We are sorry to hear of your loss. It is tough anytime a pet is lost but must be especially rough in your situation. We wish you the best in your upcoming health issue. Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Greg and Kris, you have my sympathy on the loss of your fur baby! Life is tough, but it goes on
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

We understand your pain. We miss our "kids" terribly but now have a toy Aussie that keeps us both entertained and busy. You'll always have a hole in your soul that will never be filled but remember all the good times and love that you shared. It will bring you comfort and solace in the days ahead.
We wish you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery.
Thanks Jay, I really appreciate the kind words.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Greg and Kris,
We are sorry to hear of your loss. It is tough anytime a pet is lost but must be especially rough in your situation. We wish you the best in your upcoming health issue. Dennis and Mary Kay
Thanks Dennis - Yeah, its been a rough few months with my issues and then Sophie. We haven't even been able to take the trailer out since December. I really wanted to take her to the beach one last time, but she went downhill so fast we just weren't able to make that happen.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by K0LCB

Greg and Kris, you have my sympathy on the loss of your fur baby! Life is tough, but it goes on
Thank you Leonard. Wow, you got your hands full with three Yorkies! Notice we have the same trailer - how are you liking your front living room floor plan?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
So sorry to hear of your loss. Our fur kids are so special to us. This has helped some of us through those tough times, maybe it will give you a bit of solace:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:34 AM   #11
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I am still grieving the loss of my Gawain (I had him for 17 years) but know that he is in a better place! You are in our thoughts and prayers!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #12
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Love that poem. Was helpful when I had to make the painful decision to euthanize Captain last year...

Sorry for your loss and wishing you luck in your upcoming surgery.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:37 AM   #13
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Greg, we will be making that travel to the vet clinic I imagine in the next 6 months with our oldest Doxie Madison. And have had to make that decision before and it is a hard thing to do. Our hearts go out to you and Kris.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

So sorry to hear of your loss. Our fur kids are so special to us. This has helped some of us through those tough times, maybe it will give you a bit of solace:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

Thanks Mrs. CountryGuy - that Rainbow Bridge is comforting. We've got a couple waiting for us now and I hope they are safe and healthy.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #15
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BusyCarol

I am still grieving the loss of my Gawain (I had him for 17 years) but know that he is in a better place! You are in our thoughts and prayers!
Thank you Carol, we appreciate your support.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #16
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

Love that poem. Was helpful when I had to make the painful decision to euthanize Captain last year...

Sorry for your loss and wishing you luck in your upcoming surgery.
Thank you Michael. Should be "routine", but it's always nice to have someone pulling for you!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #17
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parts Ed

Greg, we will be making that travel to the vet clinic I imagine in the next 6 months with our oldest Doxie Madison. And have had to make that decision before and it is a hard thing to do. Our hearts go out to you and Kris.
Thanks Ed and Rebecca. I'm really sorry you're facing the same situation. As you know, just love little Madison all you can, and enjoy your time together. We will be thinking of you.

Greg and Kris
Old 07-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #18
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
So sorry for your loss,we lost our second Lab Maggie last Oct. and the hardest thing to do was making that decision.
We had the vet. Come to the house And as I held Maggie in my lap and hugged her she was put to sleep.
This is something I'll always remember,I wanted to be with her the very last minute,she was always there for us.
Our prayers are with you and of course sweet Sophie.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

So sorry for your loss,we lost our second Lab Maggie last Oct. and the hardest thing to do was making that decision.
We had the vet. Come to the house And as I held Maggie in my lap and hugged her she was put to sleep.
This is something I'll always remember,I wanted to be with her the very last minute,she was always there for us.
Our prayers are with you and of course sweet Sophie.
Jack
Thanks Jack. Very sorry to hear about your Maggie too. We totally understand being with her until the end. I know some people just can't be a part of the final putting to sleep, but we felt just as you - she had always been there for us so we didn't want her to be alone and scared when it happened and we wanted and needed to be there for her. We too held her to the very end, knowing we had to do what was best for Sophie and not for us... Our long-time vet was so gentle and good with her which helped a lot. She also really helped Kris and I as she knew how hard it was on us. We felt she was just as sad as we were almost.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #20
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Here is our Sophie in her younger days. She used to run for fun and sport. Whippets are like sled dogs, they want to be doing what they were bred for, and for Whippets that was chasing anything that remotely resembled a bunny including a plastic bag!

Dreams on the Sofa, SC, FCh, SR, OTRM

"Sophie"

SC - Senior Courser
FCh - Field Champion
SR – Sprint Racer
OTRM - Oval Track Racer of Merit

...and of course best of all, a great little companion.

I wasn't going to open up the can of worms about my medical, so I won't... only to say the other reason this hurts so much is Sophie was not only our beautiful little Sophie... but for the last several years she also helped me out as a Service Dog. I just decided I would share that in honor of her because she was such a special dog.