Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Slider Hydraulics Question

On my 2955 we have 2 slides, the bedroom and dining room. For the last several years I have noticed on occasion a very tiny (few drops) of hydraulic fluid on the base of the pump. I never have had to add fluid in all the years we have had the Monty. It was a nice day so I went to take a look and there was a very small drop of fluid on one of the fittings at the end of the hose where it is attached to the pump. I had always thought the it was the reservoir that had a slight leak now I think it could be a hose fitting. I am NO expert on this system but it looks like there is a pair of hydraulic lines that leave the pump and go up immediately probably to the bedroom slider. Then there are two lines that seem to go back toward the dining room slider, and it is one of these where the very small amount of fluid appeared.

We are heading to Alaska in May and I don't know if this is a potential problem area? What is the fix for something like this if indeed it has a small leak? If the fitting is faulty at the end of the hose does the entire hose need to be replaced or can a tech replace just the fitting?

Thanks

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
The hoses aren't that expensive. I would replace the hose that has the leak instead of trying to repair it.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Is it possible that the fitting just isn't as tight as it should be? I would be checking that before changing anything.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I second the tighten the fitting first suggestion. Your system runs in excess of 1500 psi ... thus the crimped on hose ends. Unless you get lucky, a mobile tech with the crimp equipment to simply replace the end fitting are very few and far between. The fittings themselves are metal to metal seal ... dabbing pipe sealant on the flange and then reassembling is a waste of time. You could just have a bad crimp when the hose was made. The fitting could have developed a hairline crack over time. The flair on either fitting may have been scuffed upon initial assembly. The fittings on your pump or any manifold are usually O-ring fittings. The fitting has a nut with a thin washer behind it and behind that is an o-ring. Perhaps the o-ring has simply gone bad. When you try tightening down the hose itself ... give the nut on the fitting on the pump or manifold a little tightening also and see what the result is. If you do end up swapping the hose ... bleeding the system simply involves running your slides completely in and out 3-4 times. The system is self bleeding. Wheew ... trying to cover most of the possibilities make ones fingers sore
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Any hose shop worth their salt can replace the fittings w/o a major hassel. I have had fittings replaced by our hose shop and Lippert at the fall rally. I have also replaced hoses to the bedroom slide and the rear entertainment slide due to an accident. I still have some leaking problems and will be visiting Lippert when we get home. If you choose to replace the hoses you should upgrade to a better hose than original. With only two slides it should not be that big a deal.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

Is it possible that the fitting just isn't as tight as it should be? I would be checking that before changing anything.
Same here, that was my problem.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Just don't overtighten as it will crack the fitting.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
I would do the obvious and try to tighten the hose fitting first. It doesn't take two men and a gorilla to tighten it but, that may be all it needs. Wipe it clean and watch it. If it leaks more then, there is a hair-line crack in the fitting somewhere that opened up more. Then it is obvious what needs to be done.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote