Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2004, 05:02 AM   #1
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Fuel Injectors

Received a notice from GMC that they would change all fuel injectors on my 2002 Chev Duramax. My question is should I have them changed? All seams to be working fine, I have 45K and getting 20mpg not towing and 11.5 when hooked to my Big Sky 3280RL. Dont want to change the mileage, like it the way it is, did anyone notice any diference power/mileage etc, when they had theirs changed?? Thanks Ron

RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:46 AM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
My notice didn't say anything about changing the injectors. It did say that they extended the warranty on them and would reimburse me if I already had changed them at my own expense.

As far as I know the only real recall is the tailgate cables (which mine both broke at once a couple of weeks ago).

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:48 AM   #3
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
There is a lot of controversey over this...check out TheDieselPage.com forum and click on the Duramax 6600 line and check it out from other Duramax owners, you can then decide if its right for you....good luck
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:38 PM   #4
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
Ron S:
I also received a recall notice on my 2001 GMC Duramax. According to the letter the fuel injectors need changing only if you see a loss of power, hard starting and the SES (Service Engine Soon) light keeps comming on. If you don't have any symptoms don't do anything. GM has also extended the warranty on the Duramx to within 7 years of purchase date or 200,000 miles, whichever comes first without any charge.

I currently see the SES light comming on only after stopping for fuel while trailering and I forget to let the truck idle for over a minute before shutting it off. The light goes off as soon as we reach highway speed after entering the interstate. I don't experience the problem when I let the engine idle before turning it off. Letting the engine idle after a hard pull lets the oil in the turbo to cool, according to Trailer Life. If you don't let the engine idle to cool the Turbo the oil absorbs a lot of heat and could harden inside the Turbo, again according to Trailer Life.

GAry
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote