Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2004, 03:31 PM   #21
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I run Shell syn in the engine and Mobil 1 ATF in the tranny.

My tranny temps run 140-200 while towing depending on conditions. It reaches 200 only momentarily.

Steve on my tranny there is a test port just forward of the linkage on the drivers side. That is where I installed my Autometer sensor. Just above the pan. Also installed a pyrometer.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 08:26 AM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Tom. I'd have to find a plug to fit the existing socket then put the sensor in the port the others also have identified, assuming it would even thread into that port. I also have the pyrometer and the engine temp gauge. Didn't get the boost gauge because the pillar pod only holds three and those other three are the ones I considered most important, given Ford's engine and tranny temp gauges are not real gauges. Now I see Autometer has a 4-hole pillar. Once again I was just a smidgen too early.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:16 AM   #23
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Autometer gives you fittings to adapt. I think it was 1/8 NPT in my EO4D. You can install the sensor without draining the oil out of the pan. Both the tranny guage and pyrometer were easy installs. Just a little patience.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:25 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I had mine installed and didn't get squat. Not even a manual.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:36 AM   #25
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Steve, at least the install is done, maybe time for that fancy aluminum finned high capacity tranny pan and at the same time relocate the sensor.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 05:45 AM   #26
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by do-dog

Steve,

I have the Ford 4R100 transmission on my truck with the Bank's Transcommand module connected to it and Bank's DynaFact pillar mounted gauges (EGT, transmisison, Turbo boost). My transmission temperatures are similar to yours, though I have never topped 160. It seems to run very cool and only starts climbing on long steep hills and heavy stop-in-go California bumper to bumper freeway traffic.

The transmission module is very cheap insurance for long lasting cooler transmissions on the 99-03 Fords. Every ambulance and a good many delivery service trucks in my area all have them installed when the vehicles are first put in service. I was told this and did some checking to verify it. By the way... I don't work for Banks.

The techs who installed my system at Banks told me 240 degrees was the critical temperature to avoid in the transmission. So far, I have not come close to that.

I am heading to Yellowstone National Park next week in a fully loaded truck and trailer. There will be lots of steep grades and the desert heat to get through on the way. I will keep a close eye on the temperatures and advise if they get "critical."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
What is a Banks Transcommand Module for the transmission? Where and how is it installed? Thanks!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:07 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I had the transcommand module on the 4R100 on our '99 F350 with the V10. It essentially reduces transmission heat by causing firmer shifts. I don't recall if it delays shifts like tow/haul on the torqueshift transmission does. I felt it worthwhile insurance on the 4R100.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:25 AM   #28
Montana_1152
Established Member

M.O.C. #1152
Thunderman,

Here is the information on the Transcommand:

http://www.bankspower.com/Transcommand.cfm

It raises the hydraulic pressure quicker in the transmission, but more importantly, it doesn't exceed the maximum pressure already built into the transmission. My transmission shifts firmly and does not "slush" from gear to gear.
Montana_1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:53 AM   #29
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by do-dog

Thunderman,

Here is the information on the Transcommand:

http://www.bankspower.com/Transcommand.cfm

It raises the hydraulic pressure quicker in the transmission, but more importantly, it doesn't exceed the maximum pressure already built into the transmission. My transmission shifts firmly and does not "slush" from gear to gear.
do-dog,
Thanks for the information on the Transcommand.....I appreciate it!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote