Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Take care of that 'Coconut'

How do you like a 10% humidity level in your home? Can you say Sahara Desert???
Well, that is about what you have when you run your furnace in the winter. In my Heating and Cooling business, I sold them to customers with cracked furniture, peeling wallpaper and mothers who were told by their family doctors that they needed to raise the humidity levels in their homes for their health. You can have cracked lips, bloody noses, dry sinuses because of the dry air.
A carbon-based entity needs to have a humidity level of 30 to 50%, after all, water is critical for us folks. Babies are 75-80% water and us grown up folks are 50-60% water. Our brains are a whopping 85% water.
The furnace in a stick home moves lots of air when properly sized, did you know that the air goes through the furnace (and the furnace filter) around 7 times an hr.? The air gets super-heated, this drives out the moisture, the furnace is wringing all the moisture out of the air.
Our RV’s have to move a bunch of air as well, to heat the air enough for our comfort. You will have to go to a free standing humidifier for the RV.
I like the cool air models, that is what we have, they make many types, ultra-sonic, small fan misters, steam and others.
Keep them clean, you can cause harm by using a dirty humidifiers, all sorts of dirty little creatures can be spread by not keeping them clean.
You should use mineral-free water in them, not tap water. We use reverse-osmosis water in ours. I want clean moisture for my coconut’s 85%
You can buy a hygrometer to check the humidity levels. Anywhere that sells hardware should have the wall mounted gauges. But if you run a furnace, and don’t have a humidifier of some sort, you have dry air.
I used to use a sling phychrometer, dry wick and wet wick, I would swing it around in the air for a few minutes, but that is old school, now electronic hygrometers are available for service techs.
Check that humidity level, it could save you from illness.
And change that air filter…

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I have a guage and check it everyday. I have been a lot healthier since I discovered how important humidity is to our existance. I carry a small portable humidifier with when going to hotels etc.Thanks for posting this topic.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thank you for thanking me
It is good to help each other, we are all in the big boat together.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad you brought this up. All you normally hear about is excess humidity in RV's. By the way, do Monty's have a furnace filter and if so where is it located?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mine didn't, and I don't think any of them do.
I posted a filter install thread today.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
You guys are all pansies!! I live in Arizona and we had a record low day with 2% humidiy!!! I think it is 10-30% most of the year. I don't know why, but rarely do I get shocks when touching something grounded like happened back in Iowa. Anyway, 30% doesn't seem bad to us after 25 years in AZ.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Mine didn't, and I don't think any of them do.
I posted a filter install thread today.
Thanks! I found the thread, cool idea.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
For all of us that suffer from sinusitis and live in the summer sauna which is for me central Pa, low humidity is a blessing.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote