Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2011, 04:18 AM   #1
docport
Established Member

M.O.C. #10181
shocked when touching stabilizer

Received low grade shock when touching rear stabilizer also roof ladder. Disappeared after disconnecting shore power. Whats up!! Do I have a poor ground somewhere. Where do I go from here..something I can do or head for the dealer. Any help appreciated. Unit is a 2010 Montana 3455sa.

docport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
First check would be a poor ground on the post. Have the CG manager check the post
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:52 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
One of the strongly knowledgeable AC electrical guys will be along but my answer is you have a loose or not connected ground.

Now the hard question is finding where they ground is located.

1. I would move the 50 amp plug to another outlet and test. If gone then it is the pedestal problem.
2. I would move the 50 amp plug to a 30 amp outlet and test. If gone then it is the 50 Amp socket problem.
--above results is a park action not yours --
3. If you get it at other locations besides this park then you have to start trouble shooting your power cables, trailer socket, and last AC wiring in the trailer.

NOTE: this Minor shock could become deadly so do not ignore it and determine if it is the pedestal or worse your trailer.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:49 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The green wire (safety) ground in your power cord is there to prevent just that occurance. It drains off any stray voltage that may get onto your trailer frame. That stray voltage could be from a frayed wire, a bad electrical device, induced voltage from a normally operating device, etc. If a direct short to AC hot occurs, it would normally trip a breaker. If it did not trip the associated breaker, it would likely generate more than a low grade shock. So it is probably a collection of static induced voltages produced by normal electrical activity in the trailer. In any event, it should be corrected immediately.
There is probably an open circuit somewhere in the green wire ground link. That could be at the pedestal outlet, in your connector to the pedestal, at the connector to your trailer, or somewhere inside the trailer itself.
A tester like this is very good to keep in your trailer to check if AC connections are correct.
If you really want something extra usefull, here is a tester you can make fairly easily and cheaply that will test the pedastal before you ever plug in.
This RV Electric web site is a very good place to fully understand the electrical system. Click on "Outlet Testing" to get a lot of info on troubleshooting.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
You definitely had a grounding problem. Either in your trailer or most likely the pedestal.

I would highly recommend some thing like the Progressive Industries EMS Surge & Voltage Protection. http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_pt50c.htm A product like this will tell you of the problem and also prevent power to the trailer for your protection if a problem is detected. Over the past 3 years twice I have found a problem with the pedestal. I notified the camp ground and it one case they sent someone over to fix the problem immediately and in the other they had me move to another site.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
I was getting shocked from various things on trailer while parked in a back yard, a few weeks after Hurricane Katrina, and it turned out to be the neutral wire was never connected at all. I was running off of 220volt and the neutral wire was anything that could carry current to ground including me. I wouldn't believe that it is possible for every thing to run this way for a while but it happened to me. Blew out two converters before it was figured out. Hope you don't have that problem. You could be having a similar problem with a bad neutral connection at the post. Like someone else said, move to another site.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote