Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #21
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Not to mislead anyone, "no issues" referred to nothing else actually freezing...now, were we "warm and toasty?" To be honest, we were a lot more comfortable in the Montana than we were the year before in our TT, but only warm, not toasty.

CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #22
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
I have also been a fan of opening the lower cabinet doors in places like the kitchen sink and bathroom sink. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it is much cooler under there. We do the same for the bathroom but that is more for our comfort. It gets cold in there!
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #23
Farmhawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9080
I hate to disagree with you all but we spend time boon-docking in our 2008 2955 and don't have a whole lot of problem with the cold temps. Just got back from eastern Montana on a hunting trip. The morning temps were in the mid teens with a 15 to 20 mph breeze. I had no issues with the arctic package. I had some water in the morning and expecting to have brain freeze but was pleasantly surprised to only have cold water to drink. at night the temp in the trailer was kept between 55 and 60. Very happy with the Monte Arctic Package!
Farmhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #24
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
I'll say this, our Monty, with just the furnace, is a whole lot warmer than our '95 Rexhall motorhome ever was with the furnace and 3 electric heaters running. You've just got to remember, these are recreational vehicles, not stick houses. The only way to survive in "really" cold weather, in "any" RV, is to prevent air/wind from going under the trailer. We couldn't believe how much better and warmer we were when we put a vinyl cover all the way around the bottom of the motorhome.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:35 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Every time this subject comes up I want to throttle some one at keystone. Folks have no problem in cold weather....We do and we have never been in very cold weather. We did not get the warm and toasty package. We did get the drafty when windy package. It was 38 degrees this AM here in Florida and my socks left on the floor in front of the couch were cold. Our 3400 looks good. The service center says we have a normal unit with the arctic package. we were using 1 tank of propane every 3 days last year in a Florida cold snap to keep the camper at 70 degrees.

Up date
It is 43 degrees here near Disney and the sun is not down yet. hard freeze predicted tonite. Just went out and wrapped the hose connections. Furnace set at 70. tower heater set at 73..both are running. Wind at 11 to 13 mph..it will be breezy inside tonite.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #26
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
I have entered a couple of fifth wheel display models at rv shows that have had something called "heat strips" attached (?) to the ac units and these units have actually kept the interior of the fifth wheel "very" warm...so warm, in fact, that I could not spend much time inside before I had to make my way back outside. Anyone have any experience with these "heat strips?" Can these things be retro-fitted to any ac unit? Also, how much energy do they use?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #27
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
The heat strips can be purchased with some AC units. I don't know if they can be retrofitted. They are just electric heaters built into the AC units.
The issue with my Montana is that it takes a LOT of energy to keep it warm inside when it gets near freezing outside. Propane or electric doesn't matter to me. The Montana insulation package is unacceptable and I have dual pane windows!
The seals around the slides are all COLD. The basement is cold and the bedroom floor is NOT insulated. The floors of the slides have little or no insulation. The list goes on...
Nuff said.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #28
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

I have entered a couple of fifth wheel display models at rv shows that have had something called "heat strips" attached (?) to the ac units and these units have actually kept the interior of the fifth wheel "very" warm...so warm, in fact, that I could not spend much time inside before I had to make my way back outside. Anyone have any experience with these "heat strips?" Can these things be retro-fitted to any ac unit? Also, how much energy do they use?
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...-strip-kit.htm
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #29
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Quote:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...-strip-kit.htm
Thanks for the link, alwims...does not look like there is much to the install; however, the product in the link seems to be for non-ducted systems, which lets us out???
Old 12-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
the problem is with the slideouts.Take a digital thermometer and have some fun. Place it on the floor of the slideouts on the wall under a window then on the window. If you have the drop down step to the outside take the temp there. We are using 1 tank of propane a week here in this Florida cold snap.. temps was low of 37 one night. From the outside take a look at the corners where the rubber gaskets overlap. In the kitchen corner by fridge we coulds see outside. It is 53 now..temp set at 70 furnace runs @ every 15 mins to maint temp..
Old 12-09-2010, 06:30 AM   #31
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Around the bottom of the Kitchen slide we too are able to see daylight beyond the rubber gasket...I had thought initially it had to do with a slide adjustment we had done to prevent further damage to the kitchen floor. As it turns out, looks like a standard feature. We got some black foam insulation (the stuff you see around a/c pipes) and cut a couple of pieces to fit each end...stuffed these in the corners and have pretty much stopped the wind from blowing through.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #32
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Here is a link to the fireplace that I installed in my 3075. I started a thread on it but can not find it. Footloose posted photos that I sent him. I have searched but can't find that thread. Maybe it was deleted??? I will look some more.

http://www.electricfireplaces.com/wallmount.htm#Black
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #33
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I put up 2" styrofoam under the basement and I don't know if it helped or not I think you would need to take down the cover under the nose of the pin section to really get the BR insulated right. I am thinking about installing a 15000 btu blue flame heater in mine before next winter. we installed one in a friends and put a Tee in the line that feeds the furnace and it worked great. all the heat goes inside the rv. I know about the outside air that you have to have but it does work good. Just some things I am pondering??.
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:

Around the bottom of the Kitchen slide we too are able to see daylight beyond the rubber gasket...I had thought initially it had to do with a slide adjustment we had done to prevent further damage to the kitchen floor. As it turns out, looks like a standard feature. We got some black foam insulation (the stuff you see around a/c pipes) and cut a couple of pieces to fit each end...stuffed these in the corners and have pretty much stopped the wind from blowing through.
You will find something like that in evey slide all four corners. If you can't see right outside you can lift the corner flap back a bit from the outside and see inside. That is the" breezy and windy package." we stuff all the corners here in Florida for the winter.The floor of the slides are not very well insulated and unlike the main body are not heated.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #35
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Like the "breezy and windy package," Rich...did we pay extra for that?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #36
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Mike, I think that was an option for all Montanas headed south.... Someone may have got their geography mixed up a little though....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #37
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Mike, I think that was an option for all Montanas headed south.... Someone may have got their geography mixed up a little though....