Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
ghuff

M.O.C. #4899
Broken Spring Hanger Brackets

On a trip from Michigan to New York that I just returned from, I had a major problem with the suspension system on my 2006 Montana 3400 RL. The best that I can figure, my suspension system is a Dexter Axle double eye leaf spring suspension system with a Mor/ride equalizer in place of a steel equilizer.

The bad news started with a blowout on Interstate 90. We had the tire replaced by Good Sam Road Service and we continued on our way to our first stop. Since there was some damage to the RV side panels in the area near where the tire had blown and there was significant axle mis-alignment by this time, we attracted several courious campers. One soon pointed out the probable cause of the tire blowout. A spring suspension bracket at the blown tire position had broken loose fron the frame. Shortly we discovered that 2 more spring suspension backets were completely broken away from the frame (only one bracket was still attached).

Has anyone else experienced this suspension bracket breaking? I didn't expect such a thing to happen in the life of the trailer (I guess the sky is the limit).

ghuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
A friend of mine had a 1999 Montana and it happened to him. He told me that the earlier models were susceptible to this kind of failure. I don't know what year they got it corrected.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
ghuff, I think maybe it was the busted spring hangers that caused the tire problem, with that much misalignment it probably scrubbed the tread right off the tire. I think you better check the other tires very closely... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It has happened to a few on this forum. It has also happened on other brands as seen on other forums. Just for fun have your 3400 weighed ...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
You might want to check the age of the tires, if your rig is an 06 then you may be over age on the tires. Check serial # for build date and match against listings on this site
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The original spring hangers are light weight material and are prone to cracking. I have had one break and I know several other owners who have had the same problem. It definitely is not a rare condition.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:13 AM   #7
ghuff

M.O.C. #4899
Thanks to you all that replied. For your info I had replaced my tires replaced 10 months ago. Maybe 3000 mi on tires. I admit that I have not had the 3400 weighed at traveling weight but my wife complains a lot about my concern for excess weight and I have estimated the amount we are carrying and don't believe it to exceed specs. I do plan to weigh it loaded soon just to be sure its in spec. In reguard to spring hangers, I'd say they (Montana) have not fixed the problem. My 3400 spring hangers were 1/4" thick. From what I saw, I think that's entirely too light for a 15,000# RV. Isn't it a design problem?

I have a couple more questions on which I'd appreciate your comments, opinion, and advise. Do you think that the Mor/ryde system could be part of the problem causing the brackets to break because of more twisting? My unit was one of the first Montanas to have it on it? The other question is what have RVers done to fix the broken brackets so that it doesn't happen again?
Old 07-19-2010, 04:04 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I also havde a 06 34300.Build date is April 06. Our Brackets never broke. We are longtimers and do many miles a year. From the pictures we have seen it looks like severe side to side stress that caused the failure.

We never had confidence in the suspension system under these heavier Montana's. Light use OK. Heavy use....not. We did have a shackle nut failure which caused a axle shift and was a expensive fix. As
a result wde went to the Mor Ryde IS Syatem. We feel a lot better.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:36 AM   #9
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I would also look at the rubber blocks and see if there are any cracks. there has been a couple of posts about them. IMHO I feel the hangers and shackles are too light. I was told that the bushings in our shackles are good for about 7000 miles!!
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ghuff,
Sadly the broken suspension items are not all that unusual. Like other MOC members this information has saved us untold $$$$. Not to mention possible injury to ourselves or others.

We changed out our shackles after reading of a fellow MOCer losing a shackle and the rig collapsing. Fortunately he was pulling into his driveway when this happened.

Before reading of the various suspension problems we never checked the under carriage. Now we check at least a couple of times each year.

It is good to hear that Keystone is starting to use heavier duty shackles.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
bwney
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4633
We have broke both rear shackles within the last 6 months. It's always something.......
bwney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bwney,
Be certain that when you replace the shackles that you go with the HD type. Those should last for the life of the rig. And if you've had one go bad then you need to change ALL of them.

Travel safely,
HamRad
Old 07-23-2010, 06:46 AM   #13
ghuff

M.O.C. #4899
HamRad
In my case I had 2 front hanger brackets broken and 1 rear hanger bracket broken. I had a structural steel company replace all 4 of these hanger brackets with custom built HD brackets on site in a RV park. I notice that the discussion has moved to shackles. Is that the shackle links? Do they need to be replaced with HD links also? And do the shackle bolts and bolt sleeves need replacing?
Old 07-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ghuff,
I've had no trouble with my hanger brackets. They do need to be reinforced but so far they have not been a problem. My shackles, on the other hand, were gone within about 15 to 20K miles. We replaced them with the Heavy Duty type. And I suspect the drift of the topic from the hangers to the shackles simply because they are so interrelated.

Yes! If the hangers are shot then I'd be suspicious of the shackles as well. But I assume you checked the shackles when you had the problem with the hangers. If not then my recommendation is to check the shackles. My replacement shackle kit came with all items. That included the equalizer (I've got the older non MorRyde type) and all the shackles, sleeves and bolts. The HD stuff has grease zerks. I feel much safer since replacing the shackles.

Good luck.
HamRad