Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Chains for Dually???Quick

Headed for Yosemite tomorrow and their website says to carry chains. Has anyone, with a dually ever had chains on their truck and, if so, do you just chain up the outer wheel or both duallies???

My inclination is to go without but IF I need them then????????

Thanks for quick response.

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
usually only chain the outside dual tire.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I was going to buy some a while back so I asked a CHP the rules for a DRW truck I was told it all depends on the state, some require front and rear to be chained and some require the rear outers only. there are chains available for the rears that do both tires at the same time which was what I was going to do, it seemed to me that I would not have a bunch of chains rubbing the inside of the two wheels and causing a future problem. another way is to rent them at the base of the hill if they have that available. are you going to do the Monty too?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Phil......Turn around and head SOUTH.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Like Illapah I used to only chain the outside dual. I don't do that anymore. Don't want to be anyplace where there is snow and have to chain up.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
With the big rigs, I only chain the outer wheel. But my friend, who drives for a living, said that in extreme conditions, he has a set of chains that go over both tires. You're right, Don, you would not use separate chains if you needed them on both wheels...no room.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
There are different levels of chain requirements in California depending on the severity of the snow. If they make you chain up, they might want the trailer chained also. Years ago, when I took a utility line truck pulling a trailer over Echo Summit in a blizzard, the CHP wanted me to chain the trailer also. That particular trailer was not designed to have chains put on it so I had to disable the trailer brakes or they wouldn't let me go.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Phil,
You're retired, is there anywhere you need to be that bad?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am pretty sure CA requires chains on one axle of the trailer if it has brakes (in addition to chains on the TV). However I have never tested that theory as I don't bother with chains. If they are required, I don't move.

P.S. I know you have 4WD and in CA that usually suffices for the TV. If the CHP requires chains, then it really is nasty out and you don't want to be there. Ask Capt Kidd what happens!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I figure I will drive up there tomorrow and IF chains are required, I will make a U-turn and go back later. I don't need that in my life......Thanks for all the responses.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Phil... 1000 Trails/Yosemite Lakes is not as high in altitude (3600 ft) as the Yosemite Valley (about 4800 ft). Last I heard the big snow levels are down to 6,000ft. It is definitely colder later in the year as far back as I can remember, but you should be okay with no snow on the roads getting to the 1000 Trails campground. Top off your propane and your diesel before getting there!

The snow warnings are for those who venture into the higher road locations like the route to Tuolumne Meadows, the road to Glacier Point which are closed anyway. There is also some concern about anticipated storms which can turn to snow if it gets cold enough, but so far I have read it's good to go.

What website did you use? Here's the one I use all the time:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

then click on wilderness conditions. I looked for the places you'd probably visit and they look suitable. You will definitely need clothing for cold and wet weather. You'll be surprised how the weather can change so fast.

I don't know about Yosemite Lakes, but when visiting Yosemite NP, keep your food in a cooler or container, THEN you MUST use a "Bear Box" (Big, steel brown storage units) near where you park. These are for everyone so it could take a while finding a spot in them. Their usage is REQUIRED. California Black Bears (no more Grizzlies) can recognize food containers and their sense of smell far exceeds a dog, so either of these will get your vehicle ripped open like a can and then you will have a BIG ticket and fine for "feeding the wildlife". No kidding about these bears. They have learned the ways around us humans and coming out of hibernation means they will be REAL hungry and probably agressive. They aren't very big, but they are definitely dangerous.

I will hunt for some more sites I use and get back to you.

If you need chains, like everyone says, just the outside at the duallies.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #12
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
If you buy chains from Les Schwab and don't use them you can return them at the end of the season for a full refund.

I carry chains for the truck and Monty. So far have never had to use them but they are a cheap investment if you need them.

I don't think chains would have made any difference when we had out little adventure.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Well, I hope Phil made it to Yosemite Lakes. It is about 5 miles from the NorthWest Yosemite entrance at around the 3,500 ft level.

Another chain question. If one has a 4x4, and chains are required, are chains needed for all four wheels? The California Highway Patrol often makes four-wheelers use chains so they can stop better even if 4 wheel drive is enabled. But I only have one set of chains from when I had a 4x2.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #14
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Well, I hope Phil made it to Yosemite Lakes. It is about 5 miles from the NorthWest Yosemite entrance at around the 3,500 ft level.

Another chain question. If one has a 4x4, and chains are required, are chains needed for all four wheels? The California Highway Patrol often makes four-wheelers use chains so they can stop better even if 4 wheel drive is enabled. But I only have one set of chains from when I had a 4x2.
Art,

I left California in 1986, but I lived the foothills (Pollock Pines) which was about 3,500 feet. If you had mud/snow tires and 4X4 you had to carry chains, but they didn't make you put them on. With 4X4 and the tires most of us have they will make you put on your chains. I use to have a 2WD van, but had mud/snow tires on all four wheels, and always got waved thru.

I pulled my first 5th wheel over US 50 and 88 many time in the snow, with mud/snow tires and a F350 4X4 SRW, never had to put on chains. Mud/snow tire make a lot of noise, and I don't think any us want to listen to anymore.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Made it to Yosemite Lakes yesterday at 3500 ft. No snow and none forcasted in near future. Of course, going into the park is another 2500 feet so I will keep an eye on the weather real good. Did not buy any chains yet. Thanks to everyone for your input....
Old 05-26-2010, 04:42 AM   #16
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Phil......Turn around and head SOUTH.
That's what I would do, if I need chains, I'm going elsewhere.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote