Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Maintenance in San Antonio, Where???

I need to have some wiring done, both electrical and TV, this winter. Anyone have a great story about repairs in SA? One like Bish's would be fine.......Thanks.....

Phil

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
What do you need done? Maybe we can (collectively) help. And, we'll be through Texas this winter on our way to the west coast.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Phil there is a Camping World in New Braunfels, Tx. I have use CW many time and they have alway done a good job. As for dealerships have never used but one, and didn't like their work. We are lucky our manufactor let us use Camping World. We just had C/W install a base plate, tow bar and brake system on Delaine's Chevy HHR, and they done a very professional job. They are also installing the new Traveler roof mount for some time now. As for Tv wiring I have used Direct Tv installers when they aren't on duty! We really enjoyed out stay (month) at Ft Sam Houston family camp and never found a bad place to eat in San Antonio. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Hate to prick your bubble of illusion but I for one (and know others) that would not let the service techs at the Camping World in New Braunfels wash the winshield on my truck. They supposedly installed our washer dryer in our new 3400RL. Had to have it completely redone, correct their botched wiring attempt and still suffer with the dryer vent hole being drilled in the wrong place. They were also "supposed" to repack the wheel bearing and adjust the breaks. Had to have emergeny roadside fix that one about 100 miles down the road. That was all 2 years ago. I won't go within 2 miles of that place now, IMO. Was that to harsh, sure the administrator will let me know.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Michael, I want to run another cable from my Traveler antenna and install a HD DVR from Direct. Run cable to bedroom and install direct receiver in there and a new LCD TV, also would like to install a cable to basement for TV and an electrical outlet, also would like to relocate fan and light switch for toilet room inside the room. Sorry to admit how inept I am at doing these things, afterall being a medic for 26 years and a pilot for 10 does not prepare one for the electrical/TV arts.....

Jim, I appreciate your candor about CW in New Braunfels. I have had good luck with CW, but each location seems to be a little different.

Phil
Old 10-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
# 1 - If your satellite dish is installed above your bedroom, you will find that it is pretty easy to route a new cable to your front TV. Remove the fascia of your Fantastic Fan or regular fan and then remove the front two lights - just let them hang by their wires. You can now fish a cable very easily to the TV cabinet. We will be in Texas sometime this winter and will help you if you want.

# 2 - To install a new LCD TV in the bedroom cabinet, I made a bracket that was 87 degrees front to back and the front had the traditional screw holes for a TV; the bottom had four holes that mated with the bottom of the slide-out cabinet. This way, I could mount a TV that was considerably larger than the cabinet opening.

# 3 - To get the cable from the TV cabinet to the basement, I ran it behind the drawers to the floor, and then under the carpet to the square flange that supports the dresser drawer (I believe this flange actually supports the slide). I chamfered the flange to accept the cable and when the carpet was glued back, one could not see the hole. The flange is hollow, so I pulled the cable to the area below the sink. Once at the sink, I snaked it through a hole to the front passenger propane compartment at which point I installed a cable TV outlet on the forward basement wall.

# 4 - For power, I tapped into a 110 volt wire behind the aft basement wall. I wasn't concerned about the additional amperage draw because LCD TVs don't draw that much current. I added an outlet on the same forward basement wall for the TV.

# 5 - For the fan and light switch in the bathroom, Kerry made a great post. Basically, you can draw from the 12 volt power for the bathroom sink area and route up to the fan and light. You would want to run two runs of wire from behind the 12 volt switch of the bathroom area up to the fan and the light. You would want to cut the power to the light and the fan. The preferred way would be to run a wire (hot) from the light and fan to the area behind the sink switch and then interrupt the power with a new dual switch. The wall seperating the bathroom and the sink area is hollow and so is easy to fish wires through.

The MOC can help...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:49 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Phil, have you seen the new Samsung LED (not LCD) TVs? They are just 1.2 inches thick. My father-in-law got one and it's really something - still a little pricey, though.!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Michael, While I appreciate the detailed instructions, I just do not feel competent to try all this myself. We are planning on arriving at Lake Medina 1000 Trails on 8 Nov, perhaps I could find a qualified guy to help me with this task. Adult beverage and brisket may be in the offing.........

Larry, I will look for a best deal around. I would like to install a TV in the bedroom that I can remove to the basement when weather permits. Maybe just install a mount in the basement and move TV back and forth. LED's are the up and comers....
Old 10-10-2009, 03:24 AM   #9
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
I live in San Antonio and store my rig at a storage lot on Potranco Road. On the premises there is an RV shop - Wagner RV, Inc. Owner/prop "Sonny" Wagner. Been in business for years. I know many people who have used him besides myself, and have never heard a negative comment of any kind. His shop is on the way to Thousand Trails at Medina Lake. If he can't help you, he should be able to refer you to someone reputable.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:25 AM   #10
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
I forgot to put his contact info in my post: 11509 Potranco Rd, San Antonio, 78253. Phone number: 210-679-6610.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks Johnny, I will keep his number handy....
Old 10-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #12
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Phil, I will see you in Kerrville, but I don't have any RV shop in SA to offer. As an electrical engineer, I have done my own wiring mods for satellite, etc. JJ recommendation sounds good to me. I don't really think the local Montana dealer would be your best bet even though they have taken care of my warranty issues promptly and efffectively. I am glad that I have not had to pay for most of it because they are pricey!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #13
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
Well, I've been out of town, but we bought our Mountaineer from Tex-Al Boat & RV on I-35, just north of 1604. They've done great warranty, and even stretched the warranty to cover work on my rig. I'd recommend them over CW!!!!!!!!!
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #14
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
It isn't San Antonio, but we have used Camper Clinic in Buda to repair our blow out damage as well as the super slide leak repair, front door leak, electrical breakers for the super slide, refrig repair, and a few other things. We have been pleased with the work they have done for us. All of these things were supposed to be fixed by Evergreen RV....where we bought the rig.....didn't happen.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote