Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2009, 05:08 AM   #1
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Did the Wet Bolt Thing

I just completed installing the Heavy Duty Wet Bolt kit on our 2007 3400RL. Glad I did, some of the shackle bolts were worn half through at 20,000 miles. Some observations are that the factory did a very poor job on the original shackle bolts and links. On 3 axles the spring bolts were not installed correctly and were just above finger tight. The shackle bolt is a shoulder bolt and the nut tightens against the shoulder, the other end of the bolt has a spline that is "supposed" to bind in the spring hanger or shackle link to prevent turning. Half of mine were not inserted into the hanger completely and the shoulder was inside the hanger. The nut was against the frame and the hanger was resting on the threads of the bolt. Really poor assembly.

The installation is pretty easy; it takes longer to get the trailer up and adequately supported and take the tires off than it does to replace the hanger bolt and bearings. Everything is heavy, but using adequate jacks to align the springs all parts slide in with no resistance. Took me about 3 hours per side with plenty of breaks, gossip with the neighbors, etc. Not to bad for a little ol' skinny 70 year old working by himself. It was truly a bonding experience with all the 5th wheel owners in the park.

And no, you don't need a rubber hammer for the job to press the bearings. I used a homemade bearing press to keep from damaging the oil-lite bearings. That is a long bolt with 2 washers and tape over the thread where it rests in the bearing, tighten the bolt and press the bearing. Actually found that I could insert the bolt and push the bearings into the spring ends with a firm push.

Not a bad job at all, just hope I never have to do it again.

I estimate that we had about 5,000 more miles until a catastrophic failure, speaks well of original equipment that we paid good money for from Keystone.

JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:55 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
From what we have seen at the factory that entire asembly comes in pre asembled from Dexter and is insalled at the first assembly station. perhaps a word with Dexter or word with Keystone to have a word with dexter.. This is a good example of Little or no quality control at Dexter or Keystone.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
To true Rich, couldn't agree more. When ordering the parts from Mor-Ryde it appears that Keystone gets what they order, I would be more than happy to pay the additional price for the wet-bolts on the new trailer.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
JimF,
Glad you changed them out before they broke! The heavier stuff should give you a lot more peace of mind. I know they made me feel a lot safer! Glad it all went well for you.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
i am having the wet bolts installed at mor-ride the day after the rally...sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
JIMF, do you have any advice on how and where to jack. I have a wet bold kit, but haven't gotten to it yet and am a little concerned about where and how to jack. I assume you have to jack up the frame and the axles. What for jacks did you use?
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Just replaced mine with the wet bolt kit about two weeks ago. I used a 12 ton hydraulic jack directly under the frame and as close as possible to the rear of the rear tire without interfering the shackle assembly. I raised the unit up until the rear tire was off the ground. I also used a 3 ton jack stand next to the main jack and under the frame for safety and security. In addition to this, I then used a trolley 3 ton jack to lift each individual axle at the u-bolts, removed the wheel then adjusted pressure of the axle to the springs by raising or lowering my trolley jack, removed the front and rear shackle bolt assemblies of the rear axle then installed all new hardware. Once this axle was complete I moved the trolley jack to the front axle and repeated the the same process. Application to the other side of the unit was the same. Note: I had the Monty hooked to the TV to allow swivel or tilt at the hitch when the unit was raised on one side. I felt that if I used the front stabalizer jacks, there could be potential of bending or twisting of the one side. Also if I was to do the same work again I would have a partner to assist. Four hands are better than two; also wear protection for your head, everything is quite sharp under the wheel wells and frame. My project went well and I am glad with the results.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:05 AM   #8
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I'm planning on doing this in the near future on my 2005 3295rk. How do I find out what kit to order,so I can shop on-line for the best price?
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by garyka

I'm planning on doing this in the near future on my 2005 3295rk. How do I find out what kit to order,so I can shop on-line for the best price?
Ask, and ye shall receive:

Ben Wiginton
MOR/ryde International Inc.
1966 Moyer Ave
Elkhart, IN 46515
(574) 293-1581 x219
(574) 294-4936 Fax
ben.wiginton@morryde.com
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Sorry for taking so long for a response on jacking, I don't look at the MOC very often. I did not jack up the unit. We are full time and have it level in a space. I took 2 tripod jacks (like you use under a cheap tag-a-long) and put under the frame just outside of the shackle mount and stabilized the unit. Then I jacked up an axle with a bottle jack, removed the tire and let the axle down. It cleared and gave me room to work. Total I had the 2 tripod jacks, a screw jack out of my TV and 2 4-ton bottle jacks, didn't need 1 of the bottle jacks. I kept 1 jack under the axle to move it up and down to align the shackles and bolts. I left the unit level throughout the process and the wife really didn't notice any movement in the rig.

I also left 1 tire on the ground while replacing the wet bolts on the other axle. I found that there was ample clearance to all bolts and the shackles, the mor-ryde was a bit of a trick, I used a ratchet head wrench and a backup, put a jack under the spring shackle and raise it for alignment. When you completely remove the shackle and spring bolts the axle will shift, the real trick is getting it to align so that the wet bolts will slide in with no pressure and will seat properly. Jack up the axle and align the spring in the frame shackle first. When it is aligned the bolt will slide right in until you have so seat the spline on the bolt into the shackle, there you have to drive it in.

Then put the pre-assembled shackle through the bushing on the mor-ryde side of the assembly and jack the axle up and sideways to align the other bolt through the spring. When properly located it will line up and you pull the shackle out of the mor-ryde and slip it through both the mor-ryde and spring.

The jacking sideways is the real trick. I used my between the wheel chocks, put one side against the tire the other side on the axle brake and screwed it open until they aligned. Worked slick as heck.

Good luck, the first one is the real problem, then you will have a good idea of what your doing, the last one is the easiest. A lot of adult beverages and no bystanders giving you advice will make the job go smoother. Also, I learned by gashing the heck out of myself, put a folded up towel over the spring bolts, when you reach through (and you will) you won't cut yourself. Also, if working under an open slide, as I was, wrap a towel around the slide brace and gear, saves your head, and folks that are watching from learning new words.

Enjoy, I did. Of course I like doing stuff like this.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
OK, I have a question...what the heck is a wet bolt? Where re they? Why might I need to look at them or replace them?
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #12
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Wet bolts are bolts that have a grease zerk in the head of the bolt with a tiny hole from the zerk that runs the length of the bolt to about 50% then runs at a 90 and exits to the exterior of the bolt to extrude grease around to lubricate both bolt shaft and bronze bushing. These bolts and bushings replace the dry type that are not lubed and have only plastic bushings that generally wear out in 6 to 10 thousand miles. If you look behind each tire you will see the leaf springs and at each end of the leaf there is a shackle assembly. This shackle with bolt and bushing allows the the spring to turn as the arc of the spring changes over uneven road conditions and load applications. In between the two tires and just behind attached to the frame you will see a large rubber mount bolted to brackets that are welded to the frame. This will be your Mor-Ryde suspension. If you have wet bolts the bolt heads that hold the sping end to the shackle will have grease zerks, and are visable from each side of the unit. There will be a total of 6 on each side of your unit. Hope this helps and explains description and location.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #13
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
I had wet bolts and a crossmember kit istalled at MorRyde after the Fall Rally. I am glad I did. One of the schakles showed excessive wear on the driver side rear.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #14
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
8e3k0, Thanks for the suspension lesson! I'll take a look and see what they gave me, and try to figure out if they are OK!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #15
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
8e3ko, Lots of good info. I sure appreciate your input. Guess I'll have to install them now! JimF, the mor-ryde info is also appreciated. This is what I have so it's good to know. Thanks to all. Guess I'd better get it done before it gets too cold. It's better working in warm weather.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote