Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Bike Rack

I’ve had a few requests about the basket on the back of the “Montana”. I went to a hitch shop and had a hitch with a 2 inch receiver installed that was bolted onto the frame, and had the receiver off-set to allow basket to be mounted to the right of ladder.

After the first trip fighting with the basket bouncing all over the place we went back to shop and had them weld on two inch and ¼ receivers with ¾ inch tubes to act as outriggers, and now there is no longer any bouncing of the bikes or basket that I’m aware of.

Anyone that wants to do something like this I’d just have two 2 inch receivers, or two inch and ¼ receivers mounted on the hitch assembly up front and mount the basket that way. There is just no hitch or basket/bike rack made that will not bounce, and add some twisting to the frame if you only have one receiver even the one that “Keystone” puts on some models, plus the damage that gets done to the bikes from rubbing together as they, and the rack bounce down the road.

It does seem a little stupid that “Keystone” adds a bike rack on some models that bounces all over the place, and in my opinion does add some twisting to the frame, and then says if you put a hitch on any other models it will void your warranty if you put on a hitch that will carry anymore than two hundred pounds. I think if you add the second receiver you then have less stress on your units frame and the basket/rack no matter if you have twenty pounds or two hundred pounds. (This is just my own humble opinion).

The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:50 AM   #2
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I like it can you give us a parts list. If you bought on line the site you found your part and maybe model numbers? Did you have to move the rear jacks foreword? Thanks
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:01 AM   #3
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Any good hitch shop can make you a custom bolt on hitch anyway you want.. Then pick up a cargo basket that fits your needs and add the bike rack kit.
No we didn't have to move anything to mount the hitch.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Vern, how are the outriggers attached? I'm not visualizing this very well.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KathyandDave

Bill, how are the outriggers attached? I'm not visualizing this very well.
Kathyanddave,
The 1 ¼ receivers are welded to the hitch just like the 2 inch receiver. Then the cargo basket set on top of the square tubes and are attached with fender washers and self tapping screws see pictures in the top post. Bill
Old 11-29-2008, 12:36 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
William, that is a nice job, I like the stability of it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:37 AM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bill,

Excellent job. Both of doing the job and of explaining it. The pictures are very helpful in explaining how it's done.

I've seen it in person and can verify it is a very stable unit. I also saw the first attempt which was not as stable. The current setup is what I want built on my rig! Thanks for doing a great job of telling us how it is done.

See you soon. Q is coming up sooner than we think.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:42 AM   #8
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Ozz & Dennis, thanks I try to learn from my mistakes.
Dennis, we can only hope to make it to "Q".
Old 11-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #9
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Doh! I didn't catch on to the link in the first post. The outriggers are brilliant. Thanks for the pix.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote