Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Water under the refigerator

After tropical storm Fay finally passed by (mostly) we went out to check the Montana. The carpet in front of the fridge was soaked all the way over to the stove, we got it all dried out, the refigerator had been turned off long ago so it wasn't drainage from defrosting. I believe the rain which happened to be falling horizontally at times blew in through the two vents in the wall of the 3400rl behind the refigerator. My question is, has anyone else experienced this and if so is there a fix? I am thinking of blocking the vents with plastic as long as the refrigerator stays off but wonder if someone more creative than me has come up with a better fix.......Old GI just getting older.

Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The slide seals not being flipped out is a prime culprit, but that would have leaked onto the floor. It might be the vents. Waynem had a fix for his with pics recently. You might PM him if he's not to busy out there trying to keep that new MH between the guardrails .
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I washed the roof on our 3465 a few weeks ago and when I got done, I noticed water on the floor in front of the refrigerator. The water entered someplace around the refrigerator vent cap on the roof, but not sure where. If you don't find any problems with the wall vents, checking the roof vent and the seal around it.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I would look under the fridge and make sure that there isnt any underneath. If it is dry under the fridge then the chances are the slide gaskets didn't flip out. I noticed this when we first got the Big Sky, and it only happens on the kitchen slide on our rig. So each time I run the slides out I stop the kitchen slide halfway out and look, as it is easier to pop them out from the inside. Ours is usually always the one to the left of the stove as you face it. If you go out and look at the outside it is very easy to see if the gaskets have flipped properly. I don't worry about the top one because I have slide toppers... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Pete,
All the above: BUT:

CHECK THIS OUT

While you are in there, you may as well fix the DRAIN TUBE
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:47 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Nailbender,
Now you have got me to thinking. I had posted an identical problem and Waynem provided excellent pictures of his angled aluminum fix. (Which I haven't done yet). You stated that there is a vent cap for the refrigerator on the roof of the unit. This now has me thinking that that may be my problem. I know that we had never had a leak in the kitchen area before and when returning from Myrtle, I went up on the roof (at Sparky's, while the women were taking an excessive amount of time doing last minute souveneir shopping) and noticed that I had lost two vent caps. One near the rear bathroom and one near the galley area. When I had the leak under the fridge it was only during a deluge which now leads me to wonder if it is indeed the vent cap that allowed a path for the water to enter. Where do these vent pipes originate and is it possible for the rear most one to allow water to enter the kitchen floor area??? Sorry Wayne, but if my solution is simply replacing the vent cap versus installing the gutter-type fix, then by my philosphy I have to try the one that involves the least amount of WORK initially!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:16 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
It was a good thought process Bingo, and I hate to burst the synergy you got built up, but our models do not have the roof vent.

The refrigerators in fixed walls have a bottom vent on the side, and the top vent goes through the roof. The vent is as big as a bread box so you can't miss it. As logic prevails, you can't vent through the roof when the refrigerator is located in a slide, so ours actually have the bottom and top vent in the sidewall.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:23 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dang Blast It!!!! Guess I do have work to do! Oh well, it is what it is. Thanks Brad, don't know why common sense didn't clue me in there a little (Duh!!!, that would be a neat trick with the slide!!), getting older maybe??
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Both times this has happened to us, the vertical seals being turned under were the problem ... and the only water on the floor was from the carpet on the slides being so soaked, it dripped on the floor. It took emptying everything out from the cabinet and the refrigerator and leaving two fans blowing on the carpet for about two days to dry it. Lots of carpet fresh/baking soda helped with the wet carpet smell.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Pete, Dave mentioned looking under the fridge. Pull those four screws on the area cover to access under the fridge. On ours I just put a piano hinge on the bottom of that access panel, added a couple of side latches, and, voila', instant additional storage. Contrary to what someone was told by Keystone, the only wires in there are at the rear and are not a problem. We keep bbq tools and numerous other items in there.

As Vicki said, ours happened during heavy rains when the vertical seals were turned under. Now I check it after the slides are extended. If necessary, the awning rod works very well to run up under the seal to flip it out into place and does so without damaging seal or wall finish.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Bingo,
I'd rather be on the ground, even on a step ladder, than be on the roof.
Drive on down to my place and I'll fix the angle iron fix for you. No charge for labor.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #12
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Can I just post an extra thought here. We are seeing lots of water damage in stick homes from hurricane Dolly. There are leaks that wouldn't be there in a normal thunderstorm, but show up when you have rain that is wind driven.

Example, we viewed a Park Model home two days ago that didn't have any roof damage, but the rain was driven into a hexagon gable. It allowed the rain to pool and drop about a 3 X 4 portion of the sheet rock in a bedroom.

Considering the amount of dust that we get into our rigs with the seals closed, water could enter right along with the dust bunnies.

Hurricane and tropical storm rain isn't a normal rain. The wind helps put it into places that it wouldn't enter normally. It is important that you read your policy and make sure you have coverage that will cover wind driven rain. Unfortuntely, not every policy will allow you that type of coverage. So folks read and understand your stick house, RV policy etc.

We are having to tell people that they don't have any coverage. Hubby can't give them money for something they haven't insured for if they haven't bought the insurance, but for some there wasn't an endorsement to buy, they were covered the best they could. Dolly just sat on top of this area too long and dropped to much rain.

Lots of crazy losses where there shouldn't be damage if the storm had moved fast. Water has to find a place to get to the ground, if it can enter any where it will.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Thanks to all for the advice, I think Waynem has the right fix I have the same setup as he does. The slides were closed when this happened so I don't think the slide seals had anything to do with it but the wind was pretty tough here during Fay and we got a lot of rain. Thanks again all, I'm off to Home Depot in the morning for the material we have more storms on the way. Marines always know how to rig stuff, I lived in some of their bunkers made out of ammo boxes in Khe San in 1971.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
It's an easy job Pete, an easy job. You only need one piece of 1/2" aluminum angle iron, hack saw, Clear Silicone Caulk, and a philips screw driver.

'Nam 68-69. 200 days 1 Mile South of DMZ at C2, last 5 months working off Hill 55 South of Da Nang. I do know how to scrounge and survive!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #15
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
I got everything today Wayne, I'll be out there in the early morning with supervision provided by an Army wife, I don't know what I would do without her......Pete
Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #16
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
All fixed, you are right Wayne it's an easy fix. Now we wait and see which storm/hurricane comes this way. We are just getting to the peak hurricane season........Pete
Old 08-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Nice job, I'm sure.

ARMY = "Ain't Really A Marine Yet!"

Thank her for serving.