Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
re post about 3000 to alaska, bad trip

I had asked if anyone with a 3000 had driven to alaska and nobody with a 3000 replied!!We broke all the dishes, lost all the food in rear cupboards and are having the fridge replaced by Montana,but I am told I should not take this rear kitchen unit to either Canada or Alaska as roads too rough!! Even though the dealer knew where we were taking our first trip too and assured us that the new Moryde suspension would take care of that problem. Customer service also said I may be too heavy,too light, tire presure too high or too low and may have wrong blocks for suspension, but that was my problem and they would do nothing to correct problem. I find it odd that I cannot use dishes(suggested I should know that with a rear kitchen I had to use either paper or styrofoam)as they will break, cannot keep food on shelves as they fly all over and end up on floor, all the food in fridge ends up in pile so when u open the door it end up on floor and mixes with mess. I have driven from Vancouver to Prince Rupert many times and one of our group had been to alaska two years ago and led the pack so we have been there,done that. I was also told that Montana engineers did not make any mistakes!!
bob

blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
ouch! Hope things turn out better. We're planning a trip up there in a couple of years.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
This is hard to bevieve as we have the 3000rk and never have had a dish break or any problems in the freg ,, i think you mor-ride was at fault as we have hit some bad const and wondered what but nothing ,, also your dealer is wrong to even think its your fault as they are totally at fault and so is keystone and i would get on the horn to craig in c ser to get it rite

john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
mayhan

M.O.C. #7353
We travelled to Alaska in 2005 with a 26' Rustler 5th with a rear kitchen. We bought the child proof locks and hooked our cupboard doors together after stuffing the cupboards with pillows. For the fridge we bought the expandable bars that fit across the shelves. We haven't had any problems since. Last year we drove across Canada and altho the roads are a bit rough in spots, we again didn't have any issues.
mayhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We took our 3295RK to Alaska in 2004 and we did not have any problems with dishes or anything else getting broken. We went through several construction areas with no problems. Something don't sound right. We will carry our 3400RL up next time. We just slow down for road conditions. Hope you get everything taken care of.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
Joe n Pat

M.O.C. #6783
This is my first post on this forum. Hi to all you Montana owners....
Sorry to hear of all the problems w/your trip up here. We've been up and down 'that road' 3 times now & luckily have not had any problems. I tow pretty slow (not implying you tow fast) especially on the alcan. There can be some pretty serious frost heaves their & in AK. Some you don't see until your upon them. Washboards too. We just had folks up from Bakersfield CA. and they had tire problems with their fiver's. Keeping the pace relatively slow can help w/that road.. Yeah, the single p/u's & semi's fly by ya, but whats the hurry . We are traveling down the alcan to the 'so 48' in the latter part of - august..
Joe.
Joe n Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:48 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We have not been to Alaska yet but we have traveled thru southern Canada and much of the Western US. Roads have varied from very smooth to very rough. We've found that as long as you slow down on the rough stuff your breakage is very low to none. The faster we travel the more breakage we encounter on the rough roads.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Don't think Keystone can be held responsible for this sort of thing.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote