Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2006, 04:12 PM   #21
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
My take on the title l/2 Time is not that it cooks in half the time but that 1/2 time it is on convection and 1/2 time ir is on Microwave.
Happy trails.............................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:26 PM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, I looked at the sticker on the front of a new one the other day and... well, CRS is setting in but I'd swear it says cooks in 1/2 the time. But.... I'll look again next time we're at the dealer's place.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:39 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen says that it means it cooks in 1/2 the time. IE; If the cooking time for whatever you are cooking calls for 30 mins you must set the 1/2 time oven temp for 15 mins.. I would not have a clue/

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pud2

Dave i believe you had a malfuction with oven. I have used ours w/o tray a cooked pork chops and potatoes in a magnalite skillet sitting right on the glass turn table no tray for up to an hour. Have had no problems.

Darrell&Pam
I agree, Darrell. Even though one is SUPPOSED TO USE THE METAL TRAY (sans any reasoning), there still should be no reason for the unit to go into a "meltdown" status w/o it.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab, LB, SLE (w/ full power/elect options)
Reese 16K Hitch, Draw Tite Brake Controller (Activator II)
Full undercoating, Rhino Spray-In Liner
2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
2nd A/C, Fireplace, Dual Pane Windows, Central Vac
WE'RE HOME!

Don't EVER give up on your Dream.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:45 PM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cat320

We just picked up our 3400 this AM, and the DW has been plowing through the 50 lbs of manuals, paperwork, directions, etc. She says on page 2 of the laminated instructions it states that the metal tray must be used all the time except when in the microwave mode. As noted above, you'd think they'd high light it or at least put it in big bold print.

Call the dealer and plead ignorance..."Don't know what happened, the damn thing burned up."
That's what my dealer is pleading to the mfr. I'll let him handle it. I agree that it is odd that there are no highlighted cautions/warnings about NOT using the metal tray.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-06-2006, 07:04 PM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sweetfire

Dave, I don't see any mention of a smoke detector going off. You do have one, right? And you did check the batteries, right? I know, nag, nag, nag. Comes with the hat.

By the way, I'm sorry about the damage, but glad it wasn't worse and that neither of you got hurt.

Dennis & Leona
The smoke detector didn't activate, Dennis, which was a grave concern to me. It does work. Two factors kept the smoke level from going over the threshold for the alarm sensor...

1. The smoke that did form, a light haze in the kitchen/living room area, formed while Cheryl and I were already there trying to shut the oven down. It had not been there for more than a minute or so before we started to evacuate the smoke out of the 5ver. More importantly, and something to take note of...

2. the main livingroom A/C was running. the smoke alarm is over the stairs to the bedroom. The haze mostly was quickly sucked toward the LR and AWAY from the alarm. The A/C ceiling vents near the alarm were pointed AWAY from it. While heavier smoke would build up in a fire situation, and the alarm would probably eventually go off - everything in the 3400 is set up to keep any small amount of smoke away from the smoke alarm, thus delaying sounding any alert to a possible problem...

This, of course, is a problem only when the A/C is running. In the winter you wouldn't have this problem - most likely.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Dave, Sorry to hear about your loss of the microwave oven. I have the 2006 model also, and you are right, the two screws that you are talking about are put there for security, or so the dealer told me. After a repair on the switch that fell off after the second time to use it, I just had the dealer leave those two screws off, good thing, 'cause about 5 pushes later, it came off again. I was able to fix it, but had to take the whole cover off again. I posted earlier about the fix to this problem. If anyone needs help with the switch, I know how to fix it.

The way I understand the manual is that if you just push the time buttons, that is the microwave function and there is no need for the metal tray, but if you are using the half-time oven, then the metal tray is mandatory. My question would be if it is possible to use a different type of metal pan while using the half time oven? I haven't used the half-time function yet, so does it really cut the oven time down by half? Robbie

Robbie & Alice Simons
Robbie, I believe it was a Sears repairman who first showed my this little tool. He told me that this was strictly so only an authorized service rep could work on them. Some of these appliances have some pretty healthy capacitors that can give the unsuspecting do-it-yourselfer a real surprise if they touched it. It is a safety feature. I think...

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-06-2006, 07:14 PM   #28
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

My take on the title l/2 Time is not that it cooks in half the time but that 1/2 time it is on convection and 1/2 time ir is on Microwave.
Happy trails.............................
That was EXACTLY my statement, Sue. I was told that I was wrong - as the others has mentioned here. It actually IS supposed to cook in half the time. I thought that odd.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #29
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
As odd as it sounds, the half time oven really does cook the food in half the time that it would take in a conventional oven. My favorite is meatloaf. We have three small loaf pans that we put on the metal tray and set the temperature at 350 degrees and the time for thirty minutes. Comes out perfectly every time. The only problem we have had is making biscuits. For some reason they just don't get done in the middle.

Gary and Karen
SFC USAR Ret.
MOC (4049)
2006 2950RK
2005 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison SB
16K Pull rite Super Glide
Prodigy brake controller

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did, so throw off the bow lines, sail away from safe harbor and catch the trade winds in your sails." Mark Twain
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #30
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
We've had great luck with our 1/2 too, the only problem I would say is it actually cooks in less than 1/2 time, but there is that "warm up" time that get's added on when you set the temp and time. It seems like you just have to get used to it.

mac

1999 Silverado LS Extended Cab, Prodigy Brake Controller
2006 2955RL
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:28 PM   #31
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Hay everyone, I know that real men don't like to read the instructions but if you had read them you would have READ in that always use the pan in the 1/2 time part. I love mine but have only used a few time so it still works great for us.

Mary wife of hazmic

Mickey,Mary and Wilson[the westie]2006 3475 5th wheel 2000 f350 crew cab dually diesel
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #32
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Karen
Do the biscuits on convection only not 1/2 and they will come out as good as your regular oven.
Happy trails......................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:44 AM   #33
raucnd
Established Member

M.O.C. #4926
I feel I should add my 2 cents worth. I have had great success with my half time oven, and it does cook in half the time. It makes great pies and the crust gets done on the bottom. Sometimes you have to experiment with the temperature and time. I can cook a pie at a lower temperature than I do in a regular oven, not the oven in our trailer, but at home.
Sorry your oven "malfunctioned"! I would hate to think of being without mine, that's how much I use it.
D. Rau
raucnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:04 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Taking the oven apart and replacing that handle part is a easy task. I know that because I could do it so it must be a simple task. I was not happy that I had to do it and the instructions are not very clear.They should have been recalled but in true Rv industry fashion the repair of someones elses mistakes was up to us.. Other than that Helen likes the unit and it operates as the instruction book says it does.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:45 PM   #35
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Just today we replaced our dead 1/2 oven with a GE JES1290ML01 that we got from WalMart for $189. Had to do a little woodwork and modification of the support base (lots of swearing which is normal). It is a 1.2 cuft 1000 watt machine and works great. Doesn't have all the dinging bells. It also has a grill feature in addition to the convection and 1/2 features. Disappointed in that the shelf tha Montana built to hold the 1/2 oven is coming apart and will have to rebuild it in the near future.

MoBillTuxRex&Princess
Fulltiming since '93
'04 3575; '06 2500HD Duramax/Allison
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:19 AM   #36
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
dsprik, sorry, suffering from CRS, but wanted to tell you that the GE convection/microwave oven we installed also tells you that you have to use the metal tray for convection, 1/2 time and grilling. It has no box warning either which as a retired attorney tells me that those directions are for just cooking the food--there is no hazard because you don't use it. Logic says that the tray is used to make it hotter on the bottom part of the food--leaving it off wouldn't dramatically increase the temp. Know that we used the convection side of our 1/2 oven without the metal tray. Think that you have a defective oven and that would be my approach with the mfgr. regarding warranty.

MoBillTuxRex&Princess
Fulltiming since '93
Old 08-09-2006, 06:20 AM   #37
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Now I'm getting confused.....nothing too unusual! Are you guys saying this is 3 ovens in one? Microwave, 1/2 time, and convection? I thought the convection was considered cooking in 1/2 the time. I have only used the microwave in ours so definitely removed the metal tray.
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:17 PM   #38
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Yes it's a 3 in 1 oven, we've used all three settings, very nice I think. Maybe we got lucky but I don't think we would trade for anything, we love it.

mac

1999 Silverado LS Extended Cab, Prodigy Brake Controller
2006 2955RL
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:18 PM   #39
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Our replacement GE is actually a four in one including the grilling. Since it is slighly larger than the 1/2, the surround didn't fit. Made one out of a florecent light ceiling panel which was done in about 1/2" squares. It was done in silver finish. Cut it about 24" X 18" with a hole in the center the size of the oven. Taped the area behind the panel with black tape and it looks great and it gives a lot of ventelation to the oven which is very quiet. So if you need to replace your 1/2 oven, this is the trick.

MoBillTuxRex&Princess
Fulltiming since '93