Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2006, 11:05 AM   #1
Montana_5885

M.O.C. #5885
Carrying extra diesel fuel??

We will be traveling from Alabama to Yellowstone Park, by way of Mt. Rushmore first. Anyone know is it's legal or not to carry 2 or 3 5gal. diesel fuel cans (the plastic type) in the bed of pickup thru the states we would go thru....in case we have urgent need of fuel to get us to a gas station?

We've been looking at the transfer tanks for the bed, but are having problems finding one that fits properly (that we can get shipped to us in time for istalling). We only have a 29 gallon tank, so some extra on hand would be nice. Our first choice is to replace the factory tank with a larger one, but there is no time for this. Thanks for any input.

Montana_5885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
ldunning
Established Member

M.O.C. #5692
I don't know about the legality of carrying plastic cans in the bed of the truck. There was a discussion in May 06 about tanks for additional fuel in TV's. Try a search and you should find it.
ldunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Good question Dreamin, I've been known to carry 2 5gal.(plastic) in the front compartment of the Monty. It just seems to give us peace of mind after having a couple of close calls between open stations in the rural areas. I realize this is a safety issue but I don't think diesel fuel poses as much of a problem as gas? I am sure someone will be along shortly to address the legalities and safety issues.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
I don't know about the legal ramifications either. I have in the past carried a yellow 5 gallon diesel can strapped to the cleat in the bed by the tailgate. I plan to do it again on our next long trip.
Rick
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Carrying an extra five gallons is peace of mind when you have a small tank. We replaced the 29 gal tank with a 45 gal tank and still carry one 5 gal can of diesel. I have been out traveling on back roads on a sunday and cannot find any one open in the midwest. Finally came along an open station just at quitting time and filled up our older truck which had a 38 gal tank. It took 37 gal to fill it up. Since then, I have always carried an extra 5 gal.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:34 PM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We almost always have 5 gal of gas either in the front compartment of the Montana or back of the truck. It never occurred to me that it might be illegal.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Dreamin

Like all of us, the fuel tank is too small, and you don't want to run a diesel out of fuel. While in Tx. this winter we purchased a fuel tank & tool box combo, and we really would hate to be without it. The tank will hold 60 gallon, but most of the time we don't fill it, unless we find some real cheep fuel. Larry & LaVonne
Old 07-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We carried three 5-gallon plastic cans (oxymoron) for 5 years but recently quit because we have to stop periodically anyway. So we just made it a point that after we have gone about 150 miles we begin looking for stations. Our truck has two tanks, one is 18 gallon and the other is 19 gallon. However, when I fill up, I can squeeze in 19 and 20 gallons.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I've got a couple of 5 gallon diesel cans that I NO longer carry. Like some of you I thought I might run into a problem finding diesel. Carried the cans for about a year. NEVER had to use them. Contrary to some information out there states west of the Mississippi do have gas and diesel plus many of the other items found in more "civilized" parts of the country.

If you have a 29 gallon tank you'll be looking for a place to "rest" long before you need fuel. I wouldn't worry about finding a station to service your diesel needs. If nothing else follow the 18 wheelers! They'll lead you right to a station.

As far as the legal aspects..... I'm not aware of any states that prohibit carrying diesel cans. I suspect that since it is not nearly as volatile as gasoline it would not have the same type of restrictions. Please let us know if you come across any info that spells out any state restrictions.

Good luck and enjoy!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:55 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
While we have a larger tank than you, we usually want to stop before the tank is even close to empty. And I agree with Dennis, we do have services here in the west. We haven't been to South Dakota but did just return from Montana and Yellowstone. No problem at all finding fuel. Farmers use it too!
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:06 AM   #11
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
My logic also seems to ignore my own experience. I've been carrying 4 gallons in a plastic diesel container for the last 14,000 miles (since we left home in March) and have not used it. However, I think I'll carry it a while longer only because it makes me feel better. I guess I'll need as much experience as Orv before I'll be able to give it up.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:56 AM   #12
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
We carry 5 - 5 GALLON containers of diesel, right now everything is so volatile the least bit of bad new seems to sky rocket fuel prices. Doing this allows me to better pick and choose where I stop and what I pay. I have also helped out several folk's on the side of the road. It make's me feel a bit more independent. I have been in fuel line's and I don't really care for them. I keep trying to remember it only took 19 bad guys to throw this country into a tail spin. Maybe those extra five containers will get me out of a mess some day. Jut my 2 cents.
Safe travels to all John H
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #13
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
who needs extra fuel....

What I need is a vault to keep the fuel money in.

Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:59 AM   #14
Montana_5885

M.O.C. #5885
Thank everyone for the input! It's great to see a forum where ppl respond so nicely.

First, let me apologize if I ruffled feathers about the West , don't get me wrong, we LOVE it there (my choice to live there if I could)! We've made about 10 trips to Yellowstone and have run into problems with gasoline (not diesel) in the past and we were not towing an RV, so I guess we're a little "gun shy" about fuel. We have traveled most of the west by car and we know they have plenty to offer! Actually much more than here in Bama

Now, I agree with you guys about stopping for "rest" or whatever before you need fuel.....but obviously you haven't ridden with MY husband ! LOL, he thinks you drive for hours and hours before stopping. True we get there a lot faster, but these old bones are getting too old for that He says this trip we will take our time and rest along the way....we'll see.........

BTW, I found the answer to my question. I finally called Montana State Patrol.....it is legal to carry the fuel in the cans. He said it was a Federal regulation that has long as it was under 1000 gals, you are ok. So this clears the way for all the states. We know this is not the recommended way and before our next long trip, taht will be corrected, either with a new replacement tank or a Transfer tank.

Thanks for all your wonderful replies and I'm sure you'll hear more questions from me! My husband says I'm going to keep posting messages and will have a reputation before we even leave....that you guys will say "Oh You're the ones"?? lol, maybe it won't be that bad tho!
Montana_5885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:05 AM   #15
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Actually, one of those little hand held calculator size "road wizards" is what I have used in the past. They help find the next station and the distances and lots of other information. The only draw back to one of those is that most are only good if you travel the interstates. Mine did not cover the other highways and secondary roads.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #16
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I didn't run out but couldn't make it to the next fuel stop, so pulled over. My (male?)mistake. Thought I could pass stations and make it. Wrong! Know your range and plan accordingly, believe me. We were in AK and the fuel stops are FAR apart. The problem was I passed some. Never again. BTW my spouse likes it when I stop anyway. Older but still learning?!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I used to be very concerned about having extra fuel on board, especially since I have that darn 26 gal tank. =( While traveling through MT, WY, SD, ND, IA, IL, ID and WA I have never found a reason to carry extra fuel. I usually run 200-300 miles between fill ups, but always finding myself stopping long before that for rest stops. These days I dont feel that the "distance" between truck stops out west is as bad as it used to be.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote