Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Duramax Diesel

This is in no way trying to start a brand war. I am just looking for some actual mileage answers.

The question is, how many miles do you have on your Duramax diesel? I was reading and talking with a few mechanics who claim 250,000 - 275,000 miles is a fair number these motors should reach before any major work or overhauling would need to be done. Do you think this is obtainable? If so, are you planning on keeping your truck that long? I currently have 50,012 miles on my '04 and am considering a few possibilities in the road ahead. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated...

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The school I drive for has two Duramax diesel 15 passenger School busses One has 128K the other 168K. they both run as new. The motor will last far longer that the other collective parts of the truck.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
My older Ford has 125K and the Duramax is a comparable engine. My spedometer will turn back to zero at 400k. A lot have made it without an overhaul. I guess the key is to take care of it. Expecially keeping the oil and fuel filters changed. I prefer synthetic oil both in the engine and tranny. I keep a watch on my milage as a performance indicator. As long as I get 13-14 towing and 17-20 around town here I will keep my old truck. If I see a significant change I will trade up. In the event of overheat of the tranny or engine change all oils ASAP.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #4
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Montana Sky,

I believe that our 2005 has about 35,000 on it so can't give you any help with higher milage than you have. We have a great diesel mechanic here in our town that worked on our son's 2000 Ford that had over 225,000 miles on it. The truck was still running fine when he traded it in on his new truck. The salesman, a friend, also told us that we should expect to get over 200,000 on our truck. He also told us that we don't have to change the oil every 3,000 miles as we used to. I love the truck but hate when we have to park it as ours is a quad cab with a LB. It makes it interesting when you go to the grocery store. I wish the had the new caps on the Montanas when we bought the truck. We looked at getting a shortbed, but we were worried about the slider hitches and having to adjust them.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Our '01 has 85,000 miles on it. I just had the injectors replaced under warranty because of a known fault with some early injectors, otherwise it runs like new. I have no plans to change it, although the '06s do sound tempting.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave when we bought ours they told us we wouldn't live long enough to wear out the engine. Now I don't know if that is true or if we just looked really old to this guy.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I only have 21000 on my '04, but remember your engine warranty is 100,000 miles with a $100 deductable. Not too bad! I spoke with an Isuzu mechanic who deals with these engines a lot, and he said the engine will hardly be breathing hard at 200,000. Just passing on what I was told Kinda like the HONDA Goldwing engines, they don't really break in until you reach about 50,000 miles.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Thanks yall for lending your knowledge and experience. At the rate I am going this truck will be around 4 years old and have at least 100,000 miles on it. I am not that concerned as it will be paid for, but would like to run it another 3 or 4 years without the payment. Have been looking at the Chevy Kodiak 4500 for a few different reasons, but was trying to weigh the cost vs. benefit/longevity of either this truck or a 4500. Thanks again, I hope we all get into that 200,000+ mile mark.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:45 AM   #9
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
My 02 has 72,000 miles ...... I like the truck and have no plans to trade it.
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #10
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Montana Sky,

If you go to sell that TV of yours make sure you post it here first. Sounds to me like you just got it broke in, and based on how "picky" you said you were on your Monty, I bet your truck is taken care of at least as well!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, the engine should last a very long time so long as you take care of it. A bigger concern after 100k miles is the other things on the truck. Regardless of brand, those things wear and many parts are not going to go as long as the engine. Hopefully they will go much longer than 100k but certainly won't last as long as the engine. Only you can decide if it's time to trade at 100k or more for that reason.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #12
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
On this same topic, sort of, a friend of mine who admits to being a Dodge guy, says he's heard terrible things about the Allison Transmission. Has anyone else heard or had problems? I was seriously looking at the Duramax with the 6 speed Allison, but I can't make up my mind if I should get a 2006 or wait until the bugs from the Federally mandated 2007 changes for diesels get worked out in 2008. This is the first time I've heard anything negative about the transmission.

mac
Old 04-10-2006, 01:28 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Mac,
This is my 2nd Duramax and I have never had any trouble with my Allison tranny. Actually come to think of it, I have only heard of 1 person having his Allison tranny go out. That of course is his problem since he has the motor chiped, and has just about every modification on the market. I would say if you can find a 06 that meets your needs go for it, I think the 07 and 08's are going to have a higher sticker price on them compared to the 06. I base my opinion for the higher sticker on the information that Rich has posted about the upcoming mandates for 07 and beyond.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:07 PM   #14
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Montana Sky,

I hadn't heard anything bad about Allison's either. Oh the price point will be going up for sure next year, and 08, I would only wait for the 08 to get the bugs worked out from all the changes in 07. I would love to get one now but I have two daughters in college that seem to be disposing of all my "disposable income". That said, I still might see if I can't swing it later this summer, I think I'd be happier with an 06.

mac
Old 04-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Mac,
I sure remember those college days of paying tuition. Worked fulltime while going to college to pay my own way, I thought I would never finish. I swear it seemed like every time I turned around that darn school wanted more money. Now after being out for almost 6 years I am looking at going back. Unfortunately, I have been hurt on the job and have been fighting my way through the past 19 months. This has pretty much drained most of my savings along with other investments that I have been working on building over the past 11 years. Truly not sure where I am going to turn next, but I have sunk my feet in and decided if I am going to go broke over something, it is going to be over fighting for what is right. I have decided a few weeks back that all things happen for a reason, and the place I am supposed to be at is just not ready yet. That is the reason this has been taking so long to resolve. (Sure hope this comes true) I would have to say either way you go, an 06 or 08 you will not be disappointed, the Duramax and Allison is such an awesome combo. I am truly blessed to have the privilege and opportunity to own such a fine truck and coach.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #16
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Montana Sky,

Good luck on your continued education and whatever issues you're dealing with right now. Sometimes have a bunch of friends like on this forum helps! I did my school the hard way too because even though I had a full ride to DU (University of Denver, very expensive private school) right out of high school, I already knew everything, and MORE. So I didn't go back to get my undergraduate degree until I was married with two young daughters in my mid thirties. Six years of night school almost year around to finally meet my goal.

Again, good luck on whatever you decide!

mac
Old 04-10-2006, 03:37 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
According to the Diesel guys at the bus company were I drove a couple of years ago the Allison xmittion was the most reliable one out there.As for buying a diesel now or later , don't know .I am told by two very large local Ford Dealers that new 6.0PSD's are selling like hot cakes right now because folks are worried about the price of the 07's.Used diesels are in great demand and orders for the V-10 are way up.This is a very unsettled time for the new truck buyer...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Mac,
Thank you for the support. I have to say if it were not for the MOC I am not sure where I would be these days. I truly am greatful for all the members who have been helping me along during this battle.

Rich,
You are so right, times are changing in the world of diesel trucks. I was happy to read the mileage your Duramax bus motors have on them. Sure is a good sign for me and the rest of the Duramax owners.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:25 AM   #19
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
For you people intersted in the DM/Ally combo rigs, I suggest dieselplace.com. I have learned a lot just reading and observing, much like this website. It is devoted almost exclusively to DM/Ally. I really enjoy mine, and have been upgrading a few things to prolong it's service life. I put on a MBRP 4" cat-back exhaust to promote lower EGT and sounds a little better. I got a deep transmission pan direct from Allison, ($50.00 vs. $300.00 for a fancy finned aluminum job), and installed it with a new deep internal filter, and switched to synthetic fluid. Put synthetic in the t.case as well as the front and rear diff. (syn is required in the rear diff on these from factory). I'm now headed for a deep rear diff. cover, but haven't decided between two brands. Will increase fluid cap. here too and promote better cooling. That's about the end of my list of mods. I have 35k miles on mine; hasn't been to the dealer since the day I took delivery of it. Most people having trouble have over-chipped and performance enhanced to the point that they inevitably create a weak link. A lot of time this ends up being the tranny. This doesn't have to be in my opinion. Common sense and regular maintenance prevail. The trucks are stout and reliable as they were produced. If you've never driven one of these, hang on. You can't get the smile off my face.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:00 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
In all my years I have never heard one bad thing about the Allison Transmission. In fact, all I've heard are good things. I just wish Ford would put it in their trucks.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote