Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2005, 05:24 AM   #1
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Additional Warranty

Has anyone purchased an additional warranty when they bought their Montana new? The dealer is asking if I want to purchase additional years of service warranty. This is with a third party company called "StarRV coverage". Seven years, no deductable for $1449.00. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:14 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
there are pros and cons on both. if you do a search, there are alot of answers to such questions. I personally don't like them. I think they are a rip off! many items in your camper are warrentied long after the rest of it. for example the roof...12 years. all the appliances have their own warrenty....the toilet even comes with a warrenty. I would take that money and put it in a low interest savings account and put it toward any repair not warrentied....chances are you'll still have money left after the extended warrenty would have run out.

Just one mans opinion....
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:44 AM   #3
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
DCP,
Read the fine print close, I also think they are a rip off. I just discussed this on rubber roof post.
Your so called extended warranty only covers certain things. To me Keystone will back up any ligitimate problem no matter what year your rig is. I think that is enough for me. My so called extended warranty cost me about $2000.00, and everytime I called them to see if an item was covered they said no. Like BillyRay said, if I had it to do again I would open a seperate savings account or put the $2000.00 into a CD, an call the account 5er repair money.
Mind you though these are only my thoughts, it will be interesting to see if someone out there has anything good to say about extended warranty's.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:54 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I just bought mine back in Feb. I purchased the coach in April of 04 and used the warranty from Keystone for the first year and then purchased the extended this year. My extended warranty is seven years from date of purchase on policy not on the coach. It is bumper to bumper covering everything on the coach and anything I have a certified dealership install with a deductable of $50. Total cost to me was $1195, I figure if you divide that over 7 years it cost me $171 a year. Pretty cheap insurance in my opinion, the main thing is to read all the fine print of what it does and does not cover.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 11:01 AM   #5
Land Bertram
Established Member

M.O.C. #2315
I too just purchased the extended warranty for our new coach. The Star Platinum Plus coverage was $1295 for seven years, $0 deductible. I agree with others that each of the appliances have their own warranty but in many cases labor is not covered for full extent of the manufactures warranty. I decided to talk to the folks in the part department to determine the cost of major items in the coach. After some feel for cost I asked the service tech the approximate time to replace / repair the items. Then I asked what the rate per hour for the service department. I then decided the $185 per year was not so bad.
Land Bertram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:19 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I might add that while Keystone does an excellent job of standing behind their product, appliances are bought from the appliance manufacturer and are warranted by them, not Keystone. Also, I've heard but do not know for positive that some of the appliances require annual inspections by an approved technician in order for the warranty to be effective after the first year of a multiple year warranty. So be sure to read the fine print on the existing warranties.

As others said, the extended warranty is insurance. It is a good deal if you need it and end up saving more than it cost you. It's not a good deal if the opposite is true. But there's no way to guess in advance if you'll need it, so if it buys you peace of mind, go for it. As others also said, read the fine print. The bottom line seems to be that if something is not specifically mentioned as covered, then it is not. In other words, it says only what it will cover. And from what I've heard you can expect that is exactly how they will force the contract's provisions. Make sure you fully understand, also, what is necessary for them to pay. Who can work on the appliance. Whether you need their approval before it's worked on, etc.

We did not get the extended warranty. But if you're more comfortable having it, then by all means get it. Just be sure you fully understand it before you write the check.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote