Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
Montana_3625

M.O.C. #3625
Help Needed - for Hopeful Future Owners

Have been doing a lot of research lately on purchasing a 5er and a tow vehicle at the same time. Have currently narrowed it down to two brands of 5er and two makes of truck. However, my research is not complete.
I would really value some opinions from the experts.
Any thoughts on Dodge versus Ford? Looking at the 2500 Diesel or the F-250 SD Diesel.
Any thoughts on Sunnybrook Titan versus Keystone Montana?

Also any opinions on towing a Montana 2955 with a 3/4 ton truck? In addition, which is the best hitch any thoughts on upgrades/options?

Sincerely appreciate any help anyone can give.

GatorFan

Montana_3625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:02 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gator Fan, we're towing a Montana at least 2,000 lbs heavier than the 2955 will be with a 3/4 ton truck and am ecstatic with its performance. Both the Dodge and the Ford diesels will do a good job for you. Both of them (plus the GM's) can easily handle any of the Montanas. I don't know the specs on the Dodge but do know the new Fords have ratings well in excess of the weights relative to the 2955. I suspect the Dodge ratings also exceeds those weights. Since both can do the job I'd recommend you drive both and then purchase based on the other factors important to you.

The Sunnybrook is a good brand, I'd certainly not knock it. But the Montana consistently outsells it and is the number one seller in North America for each of the last four years. I figure there must be a reason for that. I personally like the way Montana/Keystone stands behind the Montana and Mountaineer. The Sunnybrook units we've looked at appear to be good units.

There are a number of good hitch choices. You didn't say whether the truck will longbed or shortbed. If shortbed, I'd recommend a sliding hitch. Mine is a manual slider, a Reese, but there are other good ones, too. If cost is not a big deal, then the Pullrite Superglide is an automatic slider that takes the pain out of forgetting to pop the slider should you need it. But it is pricey. If you are getting a longbed, then you won't need any type of slider. There are several good brands.

I've not been real definitive on what I consider "best". That's because I believe there are several good choices out there and which is best is pretty much personal preference. You can, for instance, read the magazine tests on truck towing and see which is currently king of the hill. Read again next year and it may be a different truck. Bottom line is all three mfrs build good trucks that can handle the Montana line. So pick the one you otherwise like best would be my recommendation.

Good luck. Please let us know as this progresses for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Welcome to the MOC. You can find a lot of info/opinions in the "Tow Vehicle and Towing" section also. Like Steve said, any of the 3 will do the job, you just need to settle on what you want in a tow vehicle, then see which one fits your requirements the best.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
It would not cost you that much more but I would look at a F350 or a 3500 Dodge.
I have a F350, One ton chassic and I am glad I bought a F350 not a F250.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Ditto what carlson said. For about $1K more you can get into the 1 ton. This way when you decide to upgrade to a larger unit, you will already have the truck to handle it. The 250/2500 trucks run out of pin wt. capacity (GVWR) real fast with the 5th wheels. Also agree with sreigle - any of the big 3 (Ford, Dodge or GM) diesels are excellent. Drive all 3 and then make your choice. I have done a LOT of research on the diesels and in my opinion the Cummins is the best at this point. PM me and I will be glad to tell you why I think so. Good luck with your choice.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 02:21 AM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I agree with everyone else about the big three trucks; they will all do the job you want, but I will say make one point about the 2005 Ford Super Duties. they can come with an integrated trailer brake controller already in the dash, which precludes the need for an aftermarket controller installed in an typically awkward position. Drive them all and see what you like. Pin weight could be the nemesis of a 3/4 ton truck to a lot of people, but Steve is pulling while on his full–timing adventure an almost loaded to the brim 3295RK, which has the highest pin weights, with a 2005 F-250, and if he is having no problems…! That said, if you believe you might consider a much heavier 5er down the road—a la the Cambridge—then you might want to go ahead and buy the 1 ton.

Since I have not looked at the Sunnybrooks, I will skip over that to the hitch. If you do buy a short bed truck, then I would say you definitely want to look at slider hitches. I know there are people at the Trailer Life forums that say they pull with their short bed trucks without a slider, but piece of mind is priceless, which is why I went with the PullRite SuperGlide. It works with no fuss and muss; basically, if there is a need for the hitch to slide it does so without you having to throw a switch. You would most likely be looking at over $2k for the hitch, but it truly works beautifully. If going this route, you might go to www.pullrite.com and request their free video. You have nothing to lose by doing so.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:47 AM   #7
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
GatorFan,
You have received good advice from all the above members. We too agree with carlson and palebluedot. We purchased a new tow vehicle when we ordered our Montana and opted for the F350. As Steve says the 250 will do the job for you but we wanted to think about the future as the tow vechicle is a big investment. If we decide to go with a larger unit, in the future, we will have the needed capacity for towing. As others have stated this is a personal choice, just wanted to add our thoughts. We also looked at other brands of 5ers and chose the Montana for it's past reputation and the 3295RK fit the need of floorplan we wanted. Keep us posted on your decision.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:20 AM   #8
Montana_3625

M.O.C. #3625
I appreciate the rapid response from all of you. There is just so much information available that it can be mind boggling.
We are glad we have some experts we can chat with.
Thanks to all of you for your current and continuing comments.

GatorFan
Montana_3625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:46 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Everyone is right..The 3/4 ton will do the job but if you can afford it go with the one ton and if this is mostly a Tv consider a dually and a long bed.Do your homework on the diesel VS gas motor.. My critera was..Will I do 30,000 miles or more a year. Will I keep the truck for 5 years or more, Will I be towing a heavy load up steep grades on a regular basis..If yes I would have a diesel..I have a Ford V-10. The Ford also has the built in TBC and check the GVW and tow capacity on all three brands.. We all use our TV's in a different manner. What is right for me is ONLY right for me. Montana VS sunnybrook..Buy what you can afford..My opinion is Montana over sunnybrook again do your homework and get what fits your needs.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:41 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think I ought to clarify my situation a bit since I'm mentioned a couple of times. Our prior truck was an F350, supercab, shortbed, 2003 model, with the powerstroke and torqueshift. It did a terrific job. We wanted to go to a crew cab (granddaugthers are growing) so bought a 2005 F250 same as our F350 except crew cab and different color. I would have bought either the F250 or F350, whichever I could find. The 2005 superdutys were new (this was last October) and very hard to find on dealer lots and we didn't want to order. At a dealer we trusted from prior experience we found the f250 we bought. My only regret is that it doesn't have the Camper Package (for slidein campers) although it does have the Tow Package, Tow Command (the fabulous brake controller) and lots of goodies. Because it doesn't have the extra leaf in the rear springs like the F350 and like is added with the Camper Package, I saw just a slight bit of rear sag when we hitched up our Montana. Barely noticeable, but I don't like rear sag on trucks. So we added the air bags and now it's just fine.

Anyhow, my point I wanted to get to is that in ALL respects, this F250 is rated for considerably MORE than my 2003 F350 was and you can get an F250 rated for as much as anyone else's one ton. So what I am saying is the old argument of 3/4 ton vs 1 ton no longer applies unless you stay within a single brand. Otherwise they're no longer all apples.

So, when people say don't tow it with a 3/4 ton truck, I would have to reply then you better not tow it with last year's 1 ton in any brand, either, because these 3/4 ton trucks are stronger and have higher ratings. My soapbox, I know, but the terrain has changed. I'm sure we'll see the other mfrs following suit and we're all the better off for it.

Don't have to add aftermarket mirrors with the Fords, either! The magazines say they're the best available, bar none. And they definitely are excellent.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote