Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
“I got them RV dealer blues”

Well, I have expected for some time that the local dealer of Montanas was pretty haphazard on service, but today confirms it for me.

First, I think some of you know that I did not buy the Monty from them, but from a private individual who did. His wife, especially, did not think too highly of them.

Here is what happened…

Two weeks ago, I decided to remove the SuperGlide that [name withheld to protect the guilty] installed for me. Talk about a nightmare! Marsha and I spent 45 minutes fighting with one of the pins that connect the hitch to the rails, which we finally coerced loose with WD-40 and a hammer. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that the holes in the rail in which the pin had been inserted did not align correctly and the pin was basically binding in them. I fail to see how the person who installed it ever managed to get it in there in the first place. Sooooo, I called and spoke to someone in the service department who said bring it in, which I did on Saturday two weeks ago, but only after he asked me what I wanted them to do. It seemed a pretty inane question, so I informed him I wanted it fixed.

Upon arriving, the actual service manager looked at it and said, yes, there is a problem, and he would be glad to drill one of the holes larger to make it fit. I said no way; I did not want some half way job—I wanted new rails. He said he understood considering the price I had paid, but they would have to order the rails. Now the best time for me to take it is on the weekend, so I told him that it would have to be two weeks later—today—before I could bring the truck back in as we were going last weekend to the mountains to see Lance Armstrong in the Tour de Georgia AND meet our own Steve and Vicki Reigle, both of which are much better tales. He said that is fine and put me on the schedule board to bring the truck in today and pick it up tomorrow. A red flag went up when it looked like the dry erase board they use for a schedule covered only one week, but I thought I would wait and see, though I was suspicious that they would bungle everything.

I called two days ago because of my suspicions and talked to someone who sounded as if he had no clue what was going on, but who said, sure, bring the truck in and they can take a look at it, upon which I recounted the above story. I was growing truly doubtful about the professionalism of this service department now.

Well, I arrive at the store this afternoon and the service manager is not there and I have to wait for a salesperson to fetch someone to come up from the service department. While waiting, I make a point to look at the dry erase schedule board, and sure enough—you probably have already guessed it—my name and rails replacement are not there. Some service guy slides up and wants to know if he can help me, upon which I have to recount the story once again, so we go out to the truck. He says, well you know you have a good hitch, but it is hard to get to the cotter pins that secure the pin. I shake my head and inform him that is not the problem. He suggests that they could drill the hole wider, and I informed him that was unacceptable and that the new rails should be inside. He says that there are a pair in there and that PERHAPS he can get someone to fix it tomorrow!

Well, that went down like a swallow of Listerene, but I pushed the bile down, and told him that was not going to happen. I think he realized I was losing my patience and he recanted a bit and said he thought he could get it done tomorrow. I finally left a very unhappy camper.

You know, I try to teach me students and my son to be conscientious to avoid situations like this. Sadly, the world overflows with people who do not take pride in what they do, and the RV industry appears to have more than its fair share of this sort. I should add this is not the first time I have experienced scheduling problems with this dealer; trying to get the SuperGlide plate on the 3295RK was a nightmare in itself.

Keep me in your thoughts that tomorrow goes well and I do not lose my religion! Oh, and if you have a good service department with your Montana dealer, be sure to give him a big hug or at least a firm hand shake and thank you the next time you see him. Like the commercial says, such people are priceless!

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 05:24 PM   #2
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Good luck! We'll be checking in tomorrow to see how you made out. We are lucky - our dealer has a super service dept and he has been told by us many times that he better be nice to the mechanics he has on staff as THEY make his business.

I don't think bad service is restricted to the RV industry. Not to be immodest but we run an accouting practice and have not advertised in over 20 years but our business expands each year - we think it is just that we service the %*$$ out of each and every client no matter how large or small. Monday is the final day for taxes in Canada and (of course) one of the usual last minute clients sent their records to us yesterday. Normal turnaround is about 3 days but we sent the forms back in 24 hours by courier (this client is about 75 miles away - and yes our clients are spread all over Canada) wouldn't you know it the courier did not deliver. After an hour on the phone following several internet checks on progress NOBODY at the courier (National company) knows where the package is - the "Manager" promised to investigate and call back - guess what? No call. Just to add to the aggravation the forms (signed by our client) must be back in our hands for filing Monday without fail!

While we sympathise with your dilemma - and sadly it is too common in the RV business - it is a fact of life these days that most companies just do not seem to care about service and when you do find one that does care - GIVE THEM A BIG HUG - you are so right.

By the way we do get more than our fair share of hugs. SOrry to be immodest and verbose but this is one of our pet peeves.

We feel for you - hang in there.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I know all to well about bad servive departments.I fell your pain.My selling dealer is 3 miles away from my house.I travel 100 miles away to another state to get things done right.

My wife and I were so pleased at this new dealer,my wife sent them a thank you card with a big fruit basket-just for fixing things right.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 12:27 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I share your concerns as they sound similar to our dealer. I think we have the same dealer as Diane and Colin, however Colin must comb his hair on the right side as we do not get the same kind of service he does. I have been waiting for a pump switch for over a week now. It was supposed to have been sent by mail. I know the pony express went out a while ago and snail mail can be slow, but.....
I guess that's why I drive to Middlebury, In. to get my service done.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 03:14 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bill and Ann,

Just looking at your temp gauge things on the sig line, right now, it is 999 C in Kingston, isn't that the temperature in the opposite place from heaven?? (sorry, could not resist)

Any MOC or Montana, Mountaineer, or Big Sky owner that has a good dealer should get down on their knees and pray to the higher power of their choice! I am not on my knees, not saying more. UGH

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:07 AM   #6
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Our dealer here in central Oregon, so far, has been real competent, efficient, friendly and helpful. As far as we know, the things they have worked on have been done correctly and when promised - other than when they were doing the final check before we were to take our Montana (previously enjoyed) home and discovered a leak in the black water tank, so we had to wait for a replacement. Good service is hard to find nowadays, and whether it is your Montana service department or whoever we deal with, we should remember to thank them and let them know how much we appreciate it.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:04 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dianancolin, I do not think you are being immodest at all. You have worked hard for twenty years to develop and excellent reputation with your business. And you are proud of that. Rightfully so! If only more people were like you...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 12:14 PM   #8
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Well, we went and picked up the truck today and it appears that the news rails made the difference; all of the pins can be removed fairly easily without coercion. The service manager was there today, so perhaps that expedited the problem to be fixed.

I am still doubtful about their ability to keep track of what they promise, but it looks like this might work out this time (knocking on wood).
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 02:49 PM   #9
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Good news J.D & Marsha - hope knocking on wood has the right effect.

Steve, thanks for kind words - at least the courier did the delivery today - now Diana will raise &*^^ with their head office monday

Bill & Ann - I think we use different dealers (from memory anyway). We will not use the one in Whitby. Anyway Bill you just love the drive to Indiana anyway!! (LOL)
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:42 AM   #10
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Carol: I am trying to make a comeback. Been there...didn't like it. Met too many friends.
Diane and Colin: Wasn't sure about the dealer. Met a couple when we were at Middlebury from Thunder Bay, Ontario. They also have the dealer north of Witby. Guess where they drive for service..Right! Middlebury, In. They figure it is about 750 miles to Whitby and the same to Middlebury, In. It isn't that far out of the way for us on our way to and from Texas so when we were sent to Fox RV in Middlebury by the factory for warranty work, that's where we are going to get all our work done from now on. We stopped and had our final warranty work and axles/brakes checked while we were there on the way home.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote