Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Screenhouse or Patio attached to awning

Which would do better in strong winds. We saw awnings and attached patio rooms blown away. Wonder if it would be better just to get a screen house, that can be set up next to the Montana. Also if we would get the screen room, we could still use the space under the awning plus the screen house. Would like to hear from people that have screen rooms, or add-a rooms (patio attached to awming.
http//tinipic.com/4vfpxd

Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 02:56 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ronnelly,

In our opinion, no matter which you might choose to do, TIE EM DOWN! And, I mean good. Next hint, watch the weather, just cause awnings are tied down is no guarantee they won't blow away if the storm is strong enough.

Then, decide on your knowledge of how you like to camp. Purchase to meet your needs. Do you eat outside a LOT?? Do you sit out and play cards late at night?? Do you rarely eat outside, rarely bar-b-que?? What is your lifestyle?? (We rarely eat outside, mostly during our 2 weeks at the lake, the rest of the year, almost never. So, we have very little use for a full awning house, so, we don't have one!

We have never had a patio room, but, they look like a lot of work to put up. I am sure some of the fellows that have had one can give you some further insight on that front.

Lots of pros and cons, a great subject.

Good luck and have fun no matter which you decide to do!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We have a screen house that we use in areas where the insects are a problem. We didn't get a patio room because I like to be able to take the awning down in a hurry if the weather turns bad. It's also nice to have the patio area open for all our camping neighbors to be able to bring a chair over and sit a spell.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We have a seperate EZUp that goes up fast and comes down fast. I take the cover off when there is a threat of bad weather. We have some friends that put a screen room on their 5er and had to use those nasty snaps, which were screwed into the fiberglass sides. I personally don't want to drill any extra holes in the camper! The problem with the EZUp is the room it takes up in the basement, when we start traveling in August, we will cut down on the weight some and that might be one of the items I leave at home. We will bring it to Indiana for the regional rally in September if anyone is interested in seeing how much room it takes up.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:02 AM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we have both. we use the add a room because we have a seasonal camp site. it gives you alot more room. when I set it up for the season, it's tied down with strong straps and I use patio blocks on the base of it. never had any problem with wind...when in use, but that's because of the way I fasten it. if you were to just put it up for a few days and didn't fasten it....well then you would have a problem.

it's like using your awning....you can't just put it out and leave it. if you're going to use it for a few days and don't want to watch it like a hawk, then take the extra 15 mins. and secure it.

we love it and wouldn't do with out it. I personally wouldn't use it for a weekend trip, but wouldn't hesitate if staying somewhere for a few weeks.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:43 AM   #6
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We purchased a very nice screen house this past winter due to insects while we were in FL. When purchasing either be sure the screen area is very small mesh. Have seen some screen rooms with a white mesh that does not prevent the small insects from entering. We purchased an Eddie Bauer from Target for around $100. Was easy to put up and take down. Light weight and comes with a nice carrying case. When ready to stow takes only half the room of the EZ Up and is much lighter. Not at the unit right now, but would guess when in case size is approximately 9" square by 36" long. Takes about the same amount of room in the basement as our folding chairs. We decided for the cost and ease of putting up and down the screen house was best for us.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:44 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Joyce's advice is very good. You can swat the mosquitoes but you can't see the no-see-ums, so be sure to get the mesh for no-see-ums. It's extra fine, almost double in appearance.

We have a screen room that we love because we can put it over the picnic table wherever it is. We add the citronella candles and we're quite comfortable. It keeps out bugs and also keeps the dew off your table in the morning. Our screen room is nothing special but easy to put up and takes up very little room in the front compartment of the Monty.

So far those of us who have screen rooms are from the South. It's because of those mean bugs we have down here that Carol tried to take home to Michigan. Judy
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 12:34 PM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy,

I think Travelingman took home a few too (hope I remember his name right). You do have mean bugs tho! You know, my mamma and daddy always told me they left Virginia to move to Michigan cause the $$ was here, now, I know the real story, they were tired of the bugs! And, you are correct, we have never owned a full screen room, and only use the citronella candles when necessary, which is usually right about dusk for 30 to 45 minutes. Not real fond of the smell, but they do help a lot a prime mosquito time of the day. I can be convinced to purchase a screen room tho, specially if I spend more time in Montana OUT of Michigan!

Carol

Now, do you want to hear my stories about wasps, hornets, ponds, swamps and the gray vinyl siding on this house?
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:47 PM   #9
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We have what is called a "California room" when we use it the awning is tied down with eighteen inch steel steaks driven in as far as they will go. We then hook straps too the awning with a "heavy spring" hooked to the steaks. We use several (5) flopper stoppers on each end so the wind can't lift the fabric. We find that with room on the awning is more stable than with out. We will be keeping the room when we move to our new coach.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:18 PM   #10
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
[quote]Originally posted by fulltimedreamer

We have a screen house that we use in areas where the insects are a problem. We didn't get a patio room because I like to be able to take the awning down in a hurry if the weather turns bad. It's also nice to have the patio area open for all our camping neighbors to be able to bring a chair over and sit a spell.

Thanks to all of you for your reply.
We spent 2 1/2 months in Florida, and we used our neighbors screenhouse. Nice for hanging wet towels on a rack in case of rain or wind, also to use your picnic table and chairs for cookouts. We camp in Alaska and plan to get a screen room and use it wherever we go, especially if we stay more than a few days.

Our grand daughter goes camping with us in Alaska, so we know she'll like the idea of having a place to play with her camping friends.

We use our Alpenlite 11 foot truck camper in Alaska and our Montana 3380RL in the lower 48 states.

We have driving up to Alaska many times with our truck camper, and hope to bring our Montana to Alaska some day.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:23 PM   #11
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Joyce H

We purchased a very nice screen house this past winter due to insects while we were in FL. When purchasing either be sure the screen area is very small mesh. Have seen some screen rooms with a white mesh that does not prevent the small insects from entering. We purchased an Eddie Bauer from Target for around $100. Was easy to put up and take down. Light weight and comes with a nice carrying case. When ready to stow takes only half the room of the EZ Up and is much lighter. Not at the unit right now, but would guess when in case size is approximately 9" square by 36" long. Takes about the same amount of room in the basement as our folding chairs. We decided for the cost and ease of putting up and down the screen house was best for us.
We have been checking screen rooms at Costco, Sams Club, Walmart, etc. We don't have a Target in Alaska, but will check out the Eddie Bauer screen rooms. We want something that is easy to put up and take down.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:43 PM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Ron and Nelly, I sure hope those 3380s work going to Alaska since that's what we're taking with us this summer! We'll be in Anchorage in August.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:23 AM   #13
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ronnelly

Which would do better in strong winds. We saw awnings and attached patio rooms blown away. Wonder if it would be better just to get a screen house, that can be set up next to the Montana. Also if we would get the screen room, we could still use the space under the awning plus the screen house. Would like to hear from people that have screen rooms, or add-a rooms (patio attached to awming.
A happy medium for us has been the purchase of a single screen that inserts into the groove in the metal role of the awning when fully extended. This screen it the length of the awning and drops about 10' in height. We then are able to stake down the screen and it rolls up within the awning no problem. In addition we carry a 12'x12' Easy-up that also has quick apply screen panels. I can put this up in 5 minutes by myself. Since we rarely spend more than 2-3 days at a location this has worked wonderful for us.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:01 PM   #14
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

Ron and Nelly, I sure hope those 3380s work going to Alaska since that's what we're taking with us this summer! We'll be in Anchorage in August.
Maybe we'll see you around Anchorage, Homer or Seward. We do a lot of camping in the summer, so will look for your 3380RL Montana. Wished we had it in Alaska, but for the time being we'll use our truck camper. WE see a lot of 5th wheels here in Alaska.
The roads to Alaska are pretty good, except for when you run into construction. Have a good trip.