Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2005, 01:49 PM   #1
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Is It Winter or Summer?

This is a picture of our backyard today April 23rd. Last Sunday it was 83 degrees. We are about 30 miles north of Detroit. Bummer!!!!

tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:57 PM   #2
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
We're 40 miles east of Columbus,Ohio. Temp is 35* & some parts of Ohio are expecting 6" of snow tonight.Better dig out the winter coats.We have the fireplace going & the furnace at the ready.
Montana_440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
tbhd,

We are south west of Detroit, so far, even tho it has been doing that white stuff, there is no accumulation on the grass, it is still 36 degrees here. They have been saying 2 to 7 inches for us since Thursday, grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I went out and put the heat on in Montana, as we did not winterize it when we returned last weekend. SIGHHHH

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:25 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We are south of Detroit and the weather has been nearly perfect this week. Bright sunny days with daytime highs in the 70's and night time lows around 60. Haven't needed heat since January but did use the air conditioner about 2 weeks ago. The NWS is calling for for this weather to continue through at least Saturday.

Oh I forgot to mention we are about 1100 miles south of Detroit

Sorry I just couldn't resist
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:47 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are in Northern Ohio victims of Lake Effect. 8 inches of snow in our driveway up to 22 inches in the area..Right now it is 1:43PM EST it is 51 and the sun is shining. Expect rain/melting and flooding in the next couple of days..We are high and dry.The snow blowers are back in the Barn..It was 80 last week....good planning???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:49 AM   #6
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Glen

You give the rest of us hope. One thing good tho we don't have any mosquitos YET!!!

Sharon
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 09:40 AM   #7
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Timing is everything....

This weekend I had planned on dewinterizing the Monty. And so I did. The high Saturday was 35 and the wind was blowing 25-35. Not a great day to be outside playing with the water hoses. Got the water system flushed and sanitized and loaded in the freezables (canned goods & such so we are loaded for quick weekend getaways). Saturday morning, the forecast was for that evening was a low of about 30. No problem. My indoor thermometer has min/max records and it shows me that for a night time temperature dip, the internal temperature in the Monty is about 4-5 degrees above the outside temp.

So, dewinterized and loaded with freezables, I took it back to our storage place. Got home about 8:30 and while eating supper I turned on the weather. Now they were predicting 24 degrees.... That is a little colder than I was comfortable with leaving the Monty unheated.

It is over an hour round trip there & back. It would most likely run the small battery flat if I ran the furnace overnight. I had to be to church extra early the next morning and wouldn't have time to go there to turn the furnace off. So, I loaded up the generator and spent the night in the Monty.

The next morning I checked the temperature to see what evil cold I had protected our baby from. 32.8 degrees. Didn't even freeze outside.......

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:59 PM   #8
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
So far in Colorado Springs, we have had a pretty good stretch where the thermometer has not dropped below freezing at night.

There are two scenarios that will guarantee freezing temps:
1. Dewinterize the Monty
2. Use the lawn sprinkler system

I'll wait until about the 15th of May, then just cross my fingers until Memorial Day!
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:25 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Well, we're in "sunny SE Tennessee" where the TV weather people say it's been a very long time since they got a hard freeze after March 29. BUT, last night they predicted a hard freeze for Gatlinburg, forecast temp of 27. I don't know if it really got down to that cold but I feared it would so disconnected and brought in our water filter and left the water hose disconnected. This morning I reconnected them. Forecast for tonight is 44. Now that's more like it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 03:38 AM   #10
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
AAAhhh!! I remember those days don't you Glenn? A/C on in the daytime - woodstove on at nite. Guess thats why we left Mich. Anyways, it won't last up there. Of course you didn't have much of a summer last year either. Maybe its a trend.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:38 AM   #11
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
And I thought it was bad here! Where we are located in central Oregon we still get frost into June and sometimes July. This "spring?", up until we left on a short trip last week, we were still getting tapioca snow almost every day, then it would melt off, then nights were cold. Our Montana has been out twice, once last month, and once last week, and we re-winterized after each trip - don't trust Mother Nature, especially this year! Today it is in the 60's and mostly sunny - tomorrow - who knows?!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:00 PM   #12
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Our camping club went out this past weekend. i have some pictures posted at my site. Go there and look for Kekionga April 2005. We were nuts.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:52 AM   #13
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
Our camping club went out last wk end...to a fair ground with an un heated building.It snowed, blowed & rained.We stayed home in front of the fireplace,wondering how the campout was going.We didn't want to know bad enough to drive there
Montana_440 is offline   Reply With Quote