Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2004, 03:53 PM   #21
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well I cant believe what I saw today. While out doing some running around town I was watching a guy try and do a U-turn with his gmc crew cab truck and while in the process brought both the trailer and truck together. As I was running over trying to get him to stop (which he did not hear or see me) I could not help but just close my eyes as the back window shattered, the truck cab crushed inward, and he cracked the front cap on his 3400RL. I just could not figure out why the this happend until I looked into his bed. He had the Reese sliding hitch, but since he was so flustered about having to either back up or do the U-turn he forgot to slide the hitch back. The reason for this story is, I have to agree with Glenn, I too have the Superglide and have made at least 4 or 5 different U-turns without any trouble. The hitch is amazing, slides every time... nothing to remember to slide or pull or lock/unlock. Just drive. As long as I have my shortbed truck I wont have anything but a Superglide.

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:58 PM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 3575Owner
True enough on all you said above Steve...but the good news is, I jockeyed it around quite a bit after I first hooked up to it and I have to say, I ould have to make a drastic maneuver to hit the cab...but I'm not trying to be argumentative...eventually i think i will get the slider...just to be safe...as it is, I have a Super 5th hitch...with a 17.5K load range...so i'll stick with that for now.

Thanks all...

Chip
Chip, I've only had to use the slider four times in about 9 years but was sure glad to have it those times. Broome101 mentioned he thinks a manual slider is good only for backing. That's probably how they're most commonly used but I did use ours once for pulling forward out of a pullthrough that I couldn't have easily backed out of, shortbed or longbed. So I do think there's occasions for using them going forward although backwards is most common. Like you, I can crank it around pretty tightly without need for the slider. The rounded nose of our Montanas gives us a much tighter turn radius than those with a flat face.

If I were starting from scratch I'd go with the superglide automatic. But I can't justify the expense since I already have the manual.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:08 AM   #23
Montana_2203
Established Member

M.O.C. #2203
Quote:
quote: If you have a crew cab chevy... the bed is actually 7.5' which is somewhat longer than a standard short bed... I have this truck and a sliding 5th. wheel but haven't found it necessary to use the slider... although it sure would come in handy if I ever needed it... sort of like an umbrella......

Originally posted by OntMont

While I can't disagree with the 6 posts in favour of a slider, I must add that we have been managing with a fixed hitch in my Short box Chev. truck. Yes, you do need to be aware of the possibility of hitting the back of the truck if you make a tight turn (usually while backing into a space), but as long as you pay attention, you can get by without a slider. About the tightest space I have get into is our own driveway at home, so I get a fair bit of practice. If you want to delay the decision and see how you make out, I don't think you will have a lot of trouble, but do practice with it so you know how much room you have to work with. If you have the $ available, sure, go for the slider, go for the Pull-rite, they are certainly helpful, but not essential.
Montana_2203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:46 AM   #24
Montana_2203
Established Member

M.O.C. #2203
Questions about whether you need a sliding 5th. wheel...
Quick answer...
... 1. measure the distance from the center of the hole in the 5th. wheel plate (in your pickup) to the back of your truck cab...
... 2. measure the distance from the center of the king pin (on your camper) to the front corner (not the side) of the camper...

... if the distance to the corner on your camper is less than the distance to the cab from the center of the 5th. wheel, you probably do not need a slider.

If it is only a few inches less you may still need a slider cause it might not be totally level when you are turning and that will have an effect on your clearance.

I think the newer Montana's (maybe all?) have an extension on the king pin unit that puts the pin out toward the front edge of the camper.... reducing the clearance needed...

I'm new to this group and I just bought my new 5th. wheel Montana 3400RL, and I have a crew cab chevy that has a slightly shorter bed and mine clears fine (although I did buy a slider just for the possibility of needing it.)

Hope this is helpful.
Montana_2203 is offline   Reply With Quote