Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Microwave works slow, WHY?

at our last campground our microwave seemed to be working odly, we had the usual items on, the MW seemed to be working on low voltage where a regularcup of coffee took 2 1/2 times on beverage to heat the cup of coffee.
if I put the water heater and frig on propane then use the MW it works fine, now this was at our last KOA camp the new one we are at now does not do any of this, I just have 20 pounds of water pressure from them but good voltage.
any comments on this would be nice.

Thanks Don.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Do you have a device that checks for low voltages? Is sounds like the campground connection had a reduction in voltage which can be real bad for anything that has a motor.

I've experienced this and was forced to use my generators during some time periods at one campground I stayed at. I've heard or read that when this happens you can burn out motorized devices so I try to avoid allowing it. I do use a passive meter to monitor the voltage, but it won't automatically take care of drop. So far, so good with my manual method.

There are devices you can buy to automatically protect from this condition, similar to a surge protector that protects your rig when the voltage gets too high, there's devices to protect (shut off or raise) when the voltage gets too low. Since you mention the new campground doesn't have the electrical problem, I'd blame the old campground connection. Hopefully someone can come along and provide the (expensive) details, but with the appliances that can break from this it would be smart money spent.

And now you want the water pressure to be good, too? I don't know any way to fix this except telling the camp office and they might consider moving you to a better site or tell you it's the way it is everywhere. Now I've run into this problem and while it sucks for things to trickle, I don't believe it will cause any serious problems. Besides a pressure regulator, I use a pressure gauge to monitor the pressure coming into the regulator. I will notice that if the gauge is less than the 45 psi regulator I'll know to expect less pressure. Ugh!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
thanks Art the mdter is on the wish list
Old 09-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Like Art, I keep a meter like this one plugged into an outlet where I can easily see it. Have never experience low voltage so far.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:44 AM   #5
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I bought one of these. They're pricey (about $300) but less than the cost of a microwave. Comes in 30 or 50 amp flavors.

When I hook up I never think about power, just plug in to pedestal and about 30 seconds later I can hear a loud clunk as the relay activates, letting power go into the rig.

Funny off track story... The only time it has ever 'saved' me was one time when I tried to run the rig from my Honda generator. I didn't have the neutral connected to ground at the gen set and it knew it and wouldn't pass power to rig. I was po'd 'cause I really wanted coffee at the time but it was sure gratifying to see it work. I've never had it 'work' again to save me after a year of full timing so it makes me feel good (sorry) to hear of people encountering bad power.

That's the way it is with insurance; you don't need it and can't afford it until you need it and it's priceless.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:39 AM   #6
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We just bought the EMS with the remote guage to install in the unit. We had a surge in the summer and the PowerMaster booster saved us but fried the boards in it. It is getting repaired now.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sounds like low voltage which is not a good thing .We also have the PT 50C PMS. It is pricey but then so was the Montana.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:06 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Funny off track story... The only time it has ever 'saved' me was one time when I tried to run the rig from my Honda generator. I didn't have the neutral connected to ground at the gen set and it knew it and wouldn't pass power to rig. I was po'd 'cause I really wanted coffee at the time but it was sure gratifying to see it work. I've never had it 'work' again to save me after a year of full timing so it makes me feel good (sorry) to hear of people encountering bad power.

You can still run your Honda.

Just put your hardwired Progessive EMS into bypass.

Did that a Quartzite for 15 days

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have a SurgeGuard, but also have these meters from Datel Meters. They're $65 a piece.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Al:

I've never heard of a bypass mode. How do you do that?
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
It sounds like you are having "drops" in voltage and as others have said could ruin anything with a motor including the microwave. We ran into this several times at 1000 Trails preserves. Our answer was to buy a Hughes Autoformer. It serves as a regulator and will boost low power up to a useable level, also protects against surges also. Since I have bought and used it, I plug it in at every site to protect against drops.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have had the Progressive Industries PT-50C since I had the old 3400 RL. Since 2008 it has saved me at least 6 times in my 30,000+ miles of travel.

I would not be without one.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
It's a switch that is located on your remote display

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pbahlin

Al:

I've never heard of a bypass mode. How do you do that?
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
With the Progressive Industries PT-50C, which I also have, if your CG power drops to below, I think, 104volts the PT50C will shut your power down, a good thing, however, you are then without ANY power until the power comes back up to at least 104 volts. Most electronic folks will tell you that 104 volts is not good for electronics over the long haul. With the Hughes Autoformer if your power drops below 117 volts, it will boost your power back up to 118volts. It has a 10% boost capability. It also serves as a surge guard also. I use my PT50 to check the pedestal before I park to make sure it is good, then disconnect and plug in my autoformer. CAUTION: Be wary of sticker shock when pricing these units....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote