Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
ABY

M.O.C. #9818
Leaking Slide Pump

To start, I have a 2003 Montana 36 foot fifth wheel with three slides. The reservoir on my slide pump leaks hydraulic fluid. I have had it in the shop three times. They replace the seal each time but it leaks again within a few months. The shop suggests that I replace the pump with a newer version that costs about $1,500.00. Any suggestions on a less expensive permanent fix.

ABY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It might not be the seal that's going bad but what the seal seats against or contacts. Unfortunately, getting a new pump that doesn't have a fitment issue would be the expensive solution. $1,500 sounds like a lot of money. How much of that is parts and how much is labor? I would imagine it's messy with all the fluid to mess with and bleeding the pump after it's replaced.

I don't know enough about the pump to know what to replace if it's not the seal and if it would be cost prohibitive to replace it. But this might still involve messy fluid and bleeding. Hopefully someone will be along who's either done this or had it done.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
First order of business would be to thoroughly clean everything around the unit. Then you can use Dextron 3 oil which is red to help see where the oil leak is. Check all connections and fittings around hoses and then check the areas where the motor bolts to the center section and the opposite side where the reservoir bolts up to the center section.

$1500 for a pump? Ouch!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Think about calling the vendor. Ask a LOT of questions.

Sounds like a lot.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As above... You might want to call Lippert the vendor for the pump and as suggested ask a lot of questions.1500.00 sounds ......steep....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
No matter what the end solution is here ... bleeding the pump is really quite simple ... cycle the slides all the way out and back all the way in about 3 times ... you're done ... the system is self bleeding. Before you start with the slides all the way in ... make sure the reservoir is filled to within about 1" of the top, then recheck it once you've cycled the slides. Some of us have placed some fasion of a support (piece of rubber, wood) under the outer end of the reservoir to help suppport it. You might try a metric O-ring as depending on the size might be slighty larger on the OD. The reservoir is plastic with a plastic flange that the O-ring sets in ... perhaps the plastic has a slight crack? There are RV salvage yards through out the US (there's one down by Branson, MO)... used pumps and or reservoirs are out there at a considerable cost savings. Just kicking out some ideas here.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
kountry traveler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9428
Lippert has a pump complete with resevior for $999.95 on their web site. They also show many of the components for repairing your unit. I belive that you can repair your unit for a lot less then the $1500 price. The access to this unit is very open and I belive that you could replace that yourself if you have some mechnical skills. Good luck in what ever you do.
The Kountry Traveler

kountry traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
is it possible to replace both sides of the fiitting ? the fittings could have a neak or gouge in it
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
The problem is the reservior to pump connection. It is sealed with an O ring. We have had ours replaced two times now. If it leaks again I am just going to buy extra bottles of ATF at Wallmart. The ATF and some simple green is a lot cheaper than changing the pump. In fact it is cheaper than changing the O ring again.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:25 AM   #10
ABY

M.O.C. #9818
Thanks for all of your comments. There is good information in all of your responses. The price of $1,500.00 is what Tex-All RV & Boat quoted me and they said it was just for the part. They said they would not charge me labor because the extended warranty I purchased through them isn’t worth the paper it's printed on. The company, First Warranty, went out of business and it's now in the hands of the Florida state attorney’s office. Sorry, I'm digressing. I am going to contact Lippert, as soon as I finish this posting, to price a new pump.
ABY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:01 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ABY

Thanks for all of your comments. There is good information in all of your responses. The price of $1,500.00 is what Tex-All RV & Boat quoted me and they said it was just for the part. They said they would not charge me labor because the extended warranty I purchased through them isn’t worth the paper it's printed on. The company, First Warranty, went out of business and it's now in the hands of the Florida state attorney’s office. Sorry, I'm digressing. I am going to contact Lippert, as soon as I finish this posting, to price a new pump.
Man you've been double whammied! $1500 for a $900 part and they won't charge any installation, huh? Run, don't walk away!

EDIT: BTW, that's another reason why I don't like extended warranties.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:31 AM   #12
kcjolley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9226
i had the same problem,putanew o-ring in but also coated it with some teflon sealer as the fit didn't seem snug enough.it solved the problem.
kcjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #13
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
ABY,
In New Braunfels on Sequin street there is a shop, Capital Bearing. They did have a large assortment of O rings of which one might fit your pump. If you were able to bring the old one it would help them.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #14
wrench

M.O.C. #9433
I order a size 348 o-ring and installed it in july.
so far so good
wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
hawkeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #3663
I have replaced the o-ring 3 or 4 times cost of new o-ring was $.50 at hyd shop. Be sure and clean tank and check for cracks in tank.I repaired tank with a hot glue gun.
hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #16
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
I have an 03 and a year ago the pump was leaking.I called Montana and they told me to remove the tank,clean and seal the o-ring with red high temp RTV.I did that and it hasent leaked in 14 months.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote