Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
KardRV
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10180
CHIP

Hi all. I'm sure this question has been thrown out there, but here goes (again). Are the performance chips that are available worth the cost? I have a Ford F350 6.4L Diesel and I am looking to improve the mileage. I have friends with other vehicle makes and models who have the performance chips and swear bu them, BUT they have them for other reasons than I am looking at (they like to go FAST). Anyone have a chip and do you find that it helps??

KardRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have the Banks system on my 03 Ram 3500. I have better power and maybe a little better fuel mileage. The extra mile per gallon will not pay for the upgrade but the power is nicer.
If you only want mileage no it is not worth it.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dan-- Since I see you have a 2008 model you might want to check and see if the warranty for the vehicle will still be intact if you chip the unit. If you are still under mileage and powertrain warranty I wouldn't gamble on the chipping at least until your warranty is up!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We are running a Spartan system in ours which gives many capabilities and is built specifically for the 6.4 engine.
We have had ours for nearly a year now and it has made a totally different truck relative to performance and fuel mileage. Also has capability to monitor hundreds of points that you never see on your Ford dash or what other systems will provide. P.M. me for more particulars. 80% of the 6.4s in this area are running the spartan system and are obtaining superior results.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
I have the Banks System and I agree with John. A lot more power but not to much mileage difference.
Mine is also out of warranty.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I had an Edge EZ on our 98 and I can't really say that the mileage imlproved but the power was sure a lot better. The 98 Dodge only had around 200hp and less than 400ft lbs of torque. With the EZ box the power was a lot better but the mileage was the same. In fact on my truck it increased rear tire wear because I liked chirping the tires when the transmission shifted. You will never come close to breaking even with the cost.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:52 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I wouldn't chip the engine with the idea of increasing mpg, though that's what happens in most cases. We had the Banks Power Pack System installed on our '95 F-250 Power Stroke back in January '02 and have been very pleased with the performance. We gained not only horsepower but also 2 mpg. I wasn't expecting that but was happy with it. I believe it has paid for itself. If you're going to be just weekend camping, don't do it, but if you want to travel a lot then I don't see any reason why not to do it.

There are many who will tell you that if something goes wrong after you've chipped the engine that the truck manufacturer will not stand behind their warranty. Tell that to Banks Engineering in Azusa, CA. They'll readily show you letters from all three of the big auto manufacturers saying that the installation of any of the Banks systems will not, repeat, will not void the manufacturer's warranty.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:46 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Dan-- Since I see you have a 2008 model you might want to check and see if the warranty for the vehicle will still be intact if you chip the unit. If you are still under mileage and powertrain warranty I wouldn't gamble on the chipping at least until your warranty is up!
Good advice.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:50 AM   #9
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We have all the power we need with our rig, and just the thought of having to fight warranty issues I will stay away from Chips or Tuners for now.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Orv I'm sorry but even if Banks has 10,000 letters from the Big Three and I have a unit that is still in warranty, I would not chip or modify my unit at least until the warrarties have all run their course. What happens if something does go wrong with the drive train or anyother system and you take it to your dealer and he says "NO Way, you've broken your warranty." It wouldn't be just the amount and time you spend trying to fight the rejection but if you loose, you pay for the whole repair on top on it! Just not worth the gamble to me! I have plenty of power for me now and if I need more, I'll trade this one in and step up one more level for power and towing/hauling capacity. I still have a 40% of my warranty left and I'm not going to gamble loosing it.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:27 AM   #11
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
If you are spending money to save money, in the end you will not really save any money. In May 2005 I installed a Edge programmer in my 2001 Ford. I had 86k miles on the truck at that time. I did see a 7% increase in fuel economy (verified by hand calculated fuel logs). In May 2005 Diesel was $2.10~$2.20 a gallon as I look at my fuel log. In 2005 at the diesel prices at that time I figured I would have to drive 100k miles to actually save enough in fuel to pay for the programmer. Now as fuel increased in cost the number of miles decreased. But to put it in perspective it is now 5 years later and I have 189k miles on the truck. So basically I have just finally broke even.

Would I do it again. Yes, I like the extra power and the changes to the transmission line pressure helps it run cooler. But I would not do it if my goal was to save money.

As for the warranty they have to prove the modification is the cause of the failure. But in the end you will still lose in a warranty fight even if you are correct and they reverse their decision. Think about it this way. If you get in to this type of fight with the mfgr. you will spend weeks if not months possibly fighting with them. While you are fighting with them your truck is not being fixed unless you are willing to pay for it. If you pay you are out the cash as you fight with them. If you opt to wait you are with out your truck. They can afford to wait you out more easily that you can afford to wait them out. That is how they win. How do I know? My next door neighbor has a heavily modified 2006 6l Ford. He recently had to put a new motor in it. The truck sucked in the AirRaid Air filter and fried the motor. Long story short, he was with out his truck for 3 months as he and AirRaid argued over who was going to pay for it. Last time I talked to him they are still arguing about it but he had to have the truck so he paid for the new motor as they continue to argue. That was 6 months ago and he still does not really want to talk about it.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:53 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Many look at the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act as the savior with these tuners. Like RickW said, you can end up spending more money to prove them wrong, than it is worth. I wouldn't go into a fight with any of the big three without a good attorney. That can easily knock out 10K bucks. I used to be a proponent of tuners, but the economy has forced the auto makers to cut corners, and this is one way they do it.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Orv I'm sorry but even if Banks has 10,000 letters from the Big Three and I have a unit that is still in warranty, I would not chip or modify my unit at least until the warrarties have all run their course. What happens if something does go wrong with the drive train or anyother system and you take it to your dealer and he says "NO Way, you've broken your warranty." It wouldn't be just the amount and time you spend trying to fight the rejection but if you loose, you pay for the whole repair on top on it! Just not worth the gamble to me! I have plenty of power for me now and if I need more, I'll trade this one in and step up one more level for power and towing/hauling capacity. I still have a 40% of my warranty left and I'm not going to gamble loosing it.
I agree. It's not worth the hassle. All I posted that for was for those who do decide to chip using a recognized company like Banks, they can fight the automaker if he decides that the warranty was voided by the chip installation.

It was not my point to argue of try to convince anyone. My truck was out of warranty when I had it done. It's still running and has NEVER given me one bit of dissatisfaction.

Would I chip the newer trucks? Most likely not because from what I've read on this forum, everyone's newer trucks will pull any hill, drag any weight, and just work like a monster.

But I do like mine.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
KardRV
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10180
All great info, like usual. I have some "gum" to chew now. Thanks to all. Dan
KardRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I'm with 8e3k0. I have the Spartan tuner. I'm using the 210 HP tune. I have a 08 6.4 King Ranch. From what I have seen in my truck all temperatures stay in the safe range. The EGT is lower than before. I always said I would NEVER chip a truck. Then i had my oil checked and had 13% fuel in the oil. Ford said they could not fix it. The only way to fix the problem was to get rid of of the DPF, so I did. I could not be happier. My millage went from 13 to 16 around town. Power went from 350 to 560 HP. Pulling my 2955 the the transmission locks up at about 45 mph and it pulls like a freight train. Hills that it would shift down to 4th gear I now take easy in 5th gear. As for your warranty If Ford finds your truck has been chipped they WILL void your warranty. Spartan says Ford cant find it if you return your truck to stock before you take it in fore service. They also say nobody that has returned their truck to stock before service has ever had their warranty revoked. The 210 HP and higher settings also bypass the EGR valve. which is a problem on these engines. Mine is a different truck, much much better. Every body that has drove the truck has been impressed, even my brother a diehard Chevy fan. If you are on the fence jump, but do your research first. If I can help please feel free to call 540 380 2683.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote