Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2010, 03:16 AM   #1
OldRetiredMSGT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8879
Winter at MacDill AFB FamCamp

This is our first at a lot of things. This is our first attempt at spending the winter at MacDill AFB in Tampa. We left Independence MO on Dec 26 with about 12 inches of snow on the ground. Understand it hasn't stopped snowing since we left. Tampa isn't really what we expected either, the furnace hasn't stopped running since we got here. They promise it will get better later on except for the mosquitoes. We are paying our dues by doing the rotation thing. If you have spent the winter here, you know what I mean.

Our other first was the MOC Rally in Goshen this fall. We really enjoyed the rally and looking forward to the next one in Goshen. There are a lot of Montanas here and wonder if any of them are MOC members. We haven't knocked on any doors yet but may do so after we get settled in.

Our 2004 Montana has performed perfectly on this trip except we did fry a power cord connection at one stop along the way. They tell me that that happens when the campground power gets too low. Any comments on this subject? It happened sometime during the night and all I had running was a small electric heater. Going to check out a powerer management system from Progressive Industries next week at the Tampa RV Show.

My other first, This is my first attempt at a post to the Forum. How am I doing?

OldRetiredMSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:20 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
OldMSgt,
71 is ancient!! I'm just 3 years behind you.

I have the Progressive Industries PT-50C (the portable one) and it has saved me a couple times. If the voltage drops to 104 volts or lower it will shut off until it rises to a stable voltage. Lower voltage will cause the current to rise, which in turn starts to burn/melt the little wires not capable of carrying the current. If you can't find a good price at the Tampa Super RV Show, check rvupgrades.com. There price is $365. Use it as a barganing point.

How is MacDill? Are there any open spaces there? I'm sure itchin' to get on the road. Just waiting on the go-ahead form DW.

Welcome to the forum. You will find it very informative and friendly. I had a 3400RL, but now I'm an SOB (Some Other Brand)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We look forward to meeting you this week at the Tampa Show... Do you know about the lunch at Cracker Barrel and the pictures at the Montana Booth of Friday????

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
From one OldRetiredMsgt to another, "Welcome to the Best Darned Forum on the WWW". You might take a look at the Hughes Autoformer. It serves as a surge protector AND it will boost the CG's low voltage to an acceptable level. Some will say it steals power from elsewhere but in acutality it converts amps to volts. This is what Hughes says anyway. I was using the Progressive Industries unit also, but it just cuts the power when it gets low and does nothing to increase the voltage. I still use the Progressive EMS to check the CG power and may someday have these units hardwired into front compartment, but not by me. Right now all is portable. Good luck and enjoy the Florida weather. We are in San Antonio and it has been in the teens at night lately, possibly warming up tonight for next few days. We may not have gone far enough south, but we will tough it out this winter......

By the Way, You are doing fine with your posting. Might want to put make and year of your tow vehicle and year and model of Montana in your signature element. That way we all know what you drive and tow when you ask questions.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
OldRetiredMSGT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8879
MacDill has a very odd reservation system. I put in for a spot a year ago and am still #5 on the waiting list for a permanent spot for the winter. There ia a crazy rotation system between Dry Camp, Partial hook ups, and full hookups for two weeks max while waiting for a winter slot. Haven't heard anyone that can explain the reservation system. So can't tell you how it works but if you want to spent the winter it seems that you need to be here in Sep.

Sure would like like to find some other place to spend the winter at these rates.

On Dec 29 I put in for a reservation next year and was told that we were 150 on the waiting list for a spot.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
OldRetiredMSGT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8879
Whats with the Cracker Barrel and Montana Booth????
Old 01-12-2010, 05:53 AM   #7
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Question about elegibility to use these federal camogrounds?- Must one be retired from the military or is anyone who served in regular service elegible? Do all permanent posts have campgrounds? Thanks in advance for all info!! Don (Frozen Chosen era vet)

DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Donald &Judy:
for answers to your question you may want to look at:

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We went to McDill last winter while we were in Florida. After looking around and checking on the procedures we decided it was just not what we wanted to do. Just to much moving and we really prefer full hook-ups (50 amps) so we really didn't think it was worth all the hoop jumping etc. We use Military Family Camp grounds several different times. Most of them being in the West always enjoyed our stays there. Great security and alway great excerise facilitys. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
corncob
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8226
OldMsgt, you are very much correct that the reservation system at McDill is crazy. I recommend it for the worst system in the land, including private campgrounds. If anyone ever figures the resrvation system out and can explain it, I will provide the San Miguel.
I find your comment that you were number 150 on the waiting list for next year when you called on Dec 29th very interesting. Here is why, on or about Dec 15th, just for curosity, I called and was added to the waiting list as number 183 (180 something) for next year. Additionally, I was told NOT to try the two week rotation this year, because I was already on the reservation list once, and could not be on it twice. Certainly, makes me wonder how many of the winter over users there get in year after year. Some have been in there many years for the winter.
I can honestly state, that when I have stood at the desk and tried to understand the system, I got a different answer each time.
The biggest issue in my opinion is that there is no stay limit for those repeating there to allow others who would like a month or so.
At one time the main person told me that the Air Force liked her reservation system so much that all the FAMCAMPS were going to adopt it. No so with some other places I have talked with.
There are a lot of dissatisfied users with McDill. It needs a complete review and revamp.
Good luck on getting a good site. Enjoy whatever you can get there. We like the area.
corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
illapah, according to the link you included in your last post about the military system of retired persons eligibility, shows under the FAQ section, that even though I'm a Vietnam Vet (1965-1969), with Honarable discharge, I don't qualify for use of the RV parks at military facilities. I'm not disabled. This is a shame that we don't qualify, but understand that if this were more widely available, the waiting list would be much longer. Thanks for the link.
Steve
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote