Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2009, 03:43 AM   #1
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Buying synthetic fluids

I decided to convert to full synthetic for the truck. In the process, I found that my local Mobil distributor has Delvac (TES 295) synthetic ATF cheaper than anyhere else. Also, Amazon has Mobil Turbo Diesel motor oil for $38.88/case of 6 qts-free delivery.

I posted before that the local Freightliner dealer has Baldwin filters (engine, tranny, fuel) at very good prices.

Just thought this may be interesting to some especially in these wonderful economic times we are in!

ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
I have switch to shell rottella senthetic and this truck has been great on start ups as cold as 20 below zero. It would not even crank over last winter and it never got that cold. It may cost a lot more per oil change but the truck always starts now.
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Not to start a war, but not all synthetics are created equal. Amsoil and Mobil 1 are true 100% synthetics. Most of the SOB's are not. Long story, court rulings, creative advertising. The switch to synthetics is a good move for a couple of reasons, but saving money isn't one of them. While the other "synthetics" aren't 100% synthetic, they're still probably better than conventional oil. My opinion.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:20 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
C & P from the Shell data sheet:

Shell Rotella® T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 is a fully synthetic heavy-duty diesel engine oil developed especially to meet the latest engine requirements.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:27 AM   #5
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Hey guys! I was just trying to let everyone know where to get the stuff at resonable prices.

My preference has always been Mobil products.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:26 AM   #6
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
If one is contemplating a switch to synthetics, he should have as much info as possible in order to make an informed choice. That's all I'm saying.

Here is a link to a thread on the irv2.com forum. It is a discusion about synthetics and it contains links for additional info. It's an intersting read and it provides many answers about synthetics in general, and some brands in particular.

http://irv2.infopop.cc/groupee/forum...864#3596097864
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:01 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well been using Shell Rotella 1540 for many years and have found no reason to change. Rotella has taken care of all my Duramax's. And its very easy to find. And its been cheaper for me. I don't change but once a year since we aren't full timing. And with the GM Oil change schedule I run many more miles than I did in the past. Good Luck with you choice. I also don't worry about my Duramax starting, but I'm not going to ever be in 20 below temps. But I know people who use their Duramax im extreme temps (Alaska) and haven't had any problems. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I don't know about Dodge or Ford, but the mileage intervals for oil change do not change for GM vehicles whether you run dino or synthetic.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
The bad thing about todays oil is that they have removed the Zinc. This is a requirement that the new trucks need to protect the emission systems.
I know in the gas engine websites that I belong to it is a problem. It's causing flat tappet cams to wear out especially when breaking in a rebuilt engine. I fear the same things happening to diesels too.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote