Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Entry Door Locks - can a locksmith change them?

So I had a rather eye opening experience this evening. Preheat the oven, realize I need to check the propane, go out in 40 degree weather with NO jacket, keys, pager, or anything on me, just my jeans and tshirt. Yup, you guessed it, I locked myself out. After walking halfway across the park only to find the manager not home, nor others, I finally knocked on the RV next door and fortunately got help. They called a locksmith for me, and gave me a couple of jackets to keep warm. Whilst waiting I crawled into the fortunately-empty cargo compartment to keep warm.

My neighbor suggested crawling in through the basement and laundry chute. Fortunately, that was one of the things I had chosen this unit for, because it did NOT have one. I did wonder how he knew about that weak spot, maybe he's had montana before.

Anyway, sometime later he comes over with 2 handfuls of a ton of keys, noting that the people who make the RV's weren't too good about keeping the locks different and perhaps one of his keys might work. Setting my curiosity about how he got his hands on so many different RV keys aside, I let him try, and lo and behold, key #4, and I was in. I have never experienced a weirder emotion: Relief and gripping fear all at once. I knew about this, but didn't expect it to hit so close to home.

I don't know my neighbor that well, as I just moved here... so it does scare me a bit especially since he knows I am here alone with my 2 dogs, am stone deaf, and disabled at that. I grew up with a VERY paranoid mother who was always convinced someone was out to get us (and unfortunately for a time someone was). So that doesn't help my mindset here. Regardless, I am very, very thankful, as it was very cold and the oven had been left on, and so on.

But, I want to change those locks. And I will keep a spare outside the RV from now on, somewhere. Can a regular locksmith rekey the locks or change them so it's a little safer? I mean is it any different because it's an RV? I'm mostly just concerned with the entry door, although if he can do the same for cargo doors I may let him. What can I do to rectify the entry door issue?

blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Blamb,

Sorry you've had such an experience so early in your new ownership. There are two locks on your entry door. One has a key that just about everyone has access to. The other lock has a much more limited access. I don't know if they are actually unique or not but only one or a very few keys will work on the more secure lock. You will probably be OK as is. But if you really want I'm sure a competent locksmith can change out the lock for you.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Blamb,
Think about the positive side. If it happens again, you know where to find a key. The latch key on most RV's will fit but the dead bolt key is unique. Unique in that maybe 1 out of a couple dozen may fit, whereas the latch key opens up almost all RV,'s and the compartment door key (the 751) opens up almost ALL RV basements.

Think of it as a good neighbor.

Since you are gong to be there full time you may want to have a motion detector set up that will trigger a light inside the RV when you are in it. It could be set to only trigger when someone is close to the steps. Similar to the ones used to trigger a telephone light.

Are the dogs trained to alert you when unusual circumstance occur?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Yup! They are. I also let them sleep with me to ensure a good trampling if needed. But I have a bad habit of brushing them off when they try to wake me up - deep sleeper!

I'd love to be able to think of him as a good neighbor and leave it at that, but unfortunately events in my life have led me not to trust very easily at all.

Motion sensors are a good idea. I'll look into those. But, I also want to lock the RV down as tight as I can anyway, because I worry for my dogs when I'm not home, too.

I should mention, I use the same key for both the latch lock and the deadbolt. Doesn't that mean the deadbolt is just as vulnerable to my neighbor's key as is the latch lock?
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Two hints, learned from being locked out of RVs and stick builts

Always wear skirt, shorts, pants, something that has a pocket.

Two: Always keep a key to the house/unit in one of those pockets.

ALWAYS!

Get dressed in the AM, check for key in pocket, do NOT walk out the door without it. No messing up on this one is allowed.

Others can suggest hidey places and tricks for keys, hide one in auto or trailer, but, for me, the insurance and peace maker is the key in the pocket.

ALWAYS!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:05 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Carol,

Excellent ideas! I have keys in a hidden can on the outside of the rig. Also have keys for the truck! You just never know.

Blamb,

The regular lock and the deadbolt SHOULD be different. One key should NOT work them both. I'd complain to the folks who sold it to you if that is truly the case! Your deadbolt key should be almost unique.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:18 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We found a set of door keys from our 1996 Fleetwood terry and they opened the door on the Montana. No surprise...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:15 AM   #8
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Always make sure that the door handle lock is unlocked! Use the deadbolt for security. It will not lock itself and leave you outside. My door keys works in both, but I don't believe that many other keys will work in the deadbolt, but will in the handle. Keys in the pocket or hide-a-key are good insurance. Glad things worked out. Same has happened to many RVers.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:10 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
My door key works in both locks also....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:19 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Blamb,
Typically the keys for latch and deadbolt are different. I believe it is possible to cut one key to fit two different locks. It would all depend on the tumblers, but a lock that requires a "short" key and one that requires a "long" key could be keyed to open both. A long key would go in just so far into a short key lock, and if the key was cut correctly it would work. They only way to check your locks out is to find someone with a similar unit and try their keys in your locks.

You could always have an inside deadbolt installed so that when you are in the unit you could set the deadbolt. There would be no key lock on the outside to open it, just the inside mechanism.

That would provide you with peace of mind but remember, if there ever is a problem that a neighbor needs to get you out, more locks are going to prevent them from rendering aid in a timely manner. Darned if you do and darned if you don't.

Get to know your neighbors. If you have voice command, ask questions. Talk or write to the managers explaining your handicap and ask if there have been any problems in the CG. Get a feel for the lay of the land so to speak and try to acquire that peace of mind.

You have been there for a week or more now, so what are your feelings for your surroundings. Intuition is normally pretty good for someone in your situation.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
The deadbolt should be as secure as your stick home. When we take our rig into the dealer for maintenance they always make sure we dont lock the dead bolt or they cannot get in. And as mentioned you cannot accidently lock the deadbolt, it takes a key to lock it.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #12
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Another lesson you might take from this is "always carry your cell phone", especially as a solo camper. A solo friend of ours fell down her steps and broke her ankle. Door was not locked, but she could not get up. She crawled to a neighbour in the dark and yelled for help, but it would have been been safer to have a phone available at all times, you never know what crazy mishap might befall you.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #13
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
blamb,
Just for your information, those locks on your door will break with out notice. Mine broke while I was inside and I could not get out the door. Someone had to open it from the outside....information to get a new lock is inside the old one. I would have a locksmith replace the complete lock with a deadbolt if possible.
The doorlock/handle for the toilet door will break as well..mine did. I was outside the room and could not open the closed door without using a screwdriver to pry the thumblatch back enough to open the door. This can be replaced with a regular bathroom door lock that locks from the inside. Getting out, from the inside of the toilet area would be difficult.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote