Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2008, 03:43 AM   #1
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Tire Question

During our recent cross-country trip, we put 13,429 miles on the Dodge and I’m estimating we put appx 12,000, or more, on the K9HAUS. I religiously examined tire condition and monitored tire pressure. After returning home, we thoroughly cleaned the Monty inside and out. I cleaned and treated the tires by hand. At the same time I gave them a close visual inspection. Everything looked OK.

This week we towed the Monty home to stock it in the event the coming hurricanes force us to evacuate. When I checked the tire pressure, I observed what appeared to be small cuts or nicks in the sidewall and some small lines running from the wheel outward. These were not there when I put her to bed in late June. Any clue what might be causing this?

Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:24 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
This happened to me on a pickup, motorhome and a cargo trailer. All had small cracks on the side walls near the treads and all three sat for several months at a time. I am under the impression that it was due to UV and tire age. I do know for sure that some of the tires were exposed to direct sun light for several months and were not moved.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote