Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
cmcree

M.O.C. #8497
Loud Snapping/Cracking Sounds From Suspension

I just got back from my dealer where our Monty 3500RL is being prepped for delivery. While watching them use their modified forklift to move the Monty back into its parking spot, we heard two hugely loud cracking or snapping sounds coming from the axle area of the unit. It sounded like a high caliber rifle report. The forklift driver seemed completely unconcerned and continued on his way. We asked the service advisor about it and he explained that this noise was common and was a result of tweaking of the U-bolt setup which attaches the axles to the frame. Have others experienced this sound?? He told us to expect to hear it when moving the unit into tight spots in campgrounds when the units must pivot and the wheels don't have room to travel far while the rotation is happening. After reading a few threads from members writing about having the "camber" of the axles adjusted to help with uneven tire tread wear, I am concerned that we will have "twisted" or misaligned axles, so the unit will drift to one side or another while being towed or else the tires will wear improperly. Any advice??

cmcree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We took deliver oof our new and I for one have never heard of this, we have had several trailers over the years and never heard it on any of those either. I (in my opinion) would really question that answer, perhaps call team montana. Congratulations on the 10th Anniv edition, they are really nice, makes us itchy for one.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Cmcree,

I think the sounds you are describing are fairly normal. We have had our 02 model for a few years now and always get some fairly significant clanking / cracking and snapping type sounds. The sounds are most notable when making a very sharp low speed turn and or when backing into a space where we make about a 90 degree turn. Also the wheels look like they may pop off the trailer when making this maneuver. But so far nothing has broken!

If I were you I'd check and make sure nothing actually broke. My guess is that nothing did. But it won't hurt to look.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Cmcree,

There is always some noise from the rig when turning sharply. Mostly, we don't notice it when we are inside the truck. However, I've witnessed rigs being parked and when jacknifing into a parking spot, noises occur. Like HamRad, if you're concerned, take a look under the rig and/or insist that the dealer inspect it closely.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When I am loading or unloading at the stick house, I have to make a very tight 90 degree turn to back into the drive way. I have heard those same sounds and when I got out to check, you could see the stress on the wheels, one was pointed in and the other pointed out. Fortunately I can pull forward into my neighbors driveway across the street and maneuver a couple times to straighten everything out to normal, or as near normal as possible. I personally thing that when you put that kind of stress on the wheels, some snap-crackle-and pop will be noticed. Just don't leave the wheels in a stressed position.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Like the others, when making sharp turns, I get those noises. If the dealers were smart they would tell us about the noise so we would not think the trailer is coming apart every time we make a sharp turn.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:28 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Thats a very normal sound, when the axles are put into a tight turn you will hear those sounds. The less stress you put on you turns the best. I try not to put the 5er in that situation unless there is no other way. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:33 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Like most everyone else, if I make a sharp turn when backing I get those noises. I try to avoid those sharp turns if I can.
As Wayne mentioned, you can look at the wheels and seem the stresses being put on them and the suspension system during those turns.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We hear noises but not loud ones like were described. And sometimes when backing you'll hear noises from the brakes, if your controller doesn't apply brakes when backing. The Prodigy applies brakes when backing as does the Ford builtin but many others don't.

I'd feel a lot better about any loud noises if I understood what is causing the noise and what stress or damage it is causing, if any. Having just dealt with a broken spring hanger, a loud noise from the suspension area would have me crawling underneath for a careful looksee.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
cmcree,
I agree with the others the sounds you may be hearing are normal. While having some work done at Charger RV in Elkhart IN where Keystone made an appointment for me, I experienced those scary sounds and asked about them. I was told that they were coming from the MorRide system and they are quite normal and do not cause a problem. They seem to happen when in a tight turn or coming out of one and not every time.
JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The sounds may be coming from the MorRide system ------ however mine makes a lot of noise and I do NOT have MorRide. Ours is pre MorRide. So I suspect that much of the noise is coming from the flexing of the frame and the stresses on the axles and wheels.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #12
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
I don't care where they come from, I just wish somebody told me about them before I made my first sharp turn!
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #13
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Yess,,I agree....the scuff marks on the roadway had some brothers alive and well and living in the cab of the truck
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #14
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Mine pops too when exiting driveways. But when the loud popping changes to sounding like a load of Yellow Canaries, it's time to replace the neopreme bushings.Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #15
cmcree

M.O.C. #8497
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my topic about the snap, crackle, pop sounds coming from somewhere under the belly of the beast. I got down on my knees and looked under there today and checked that the spring leaf attachments to the frame were not bent or broken as Steve reported had happened to him. I did not see any evidence of anything having moved or shifted anywhere. Perhaps it has something to do with the large rubber parts that are in the middle between the axles and integrated into the Mor-Ryde suspension system. I guess they provide a lot of "wiggle" room for the whole system. I am going to read the voluminous information provided with my coach by Lippert about the whole suspension system. Should make for just fascinating reading, but I guess that's what interests many of us MOCers or we wouldn't be reading and posting on this site. What I DID see, however, was a great deal of rust, which, since I am in dry, semi-arid Northern California, I assume comes from the salt on the roads in Indiana where the coaches are made and stored and moved around. I asked the dealer, since I am still in the PDI stage of things with all of this, to remove and paint the rust with their inhibitor, as it is all over the suspension system, the welds on the brackets holding the leaf springs, numerous adjustment screws under the slides, and coating the fittings of the LPG gas system.
cmcree is offline   Reply With Quote