Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Avatar theft? How about TAILGATE theft!

My brother called from Chappell Hill, Texas, today in a foul mood. His daughter and son-in-law had borrowed his new Ford crewcab truck which has the fold-down step in the tailgate, and while they were at a local store in College Station (Texas A&M), someone stole the tailgate right off the truck. After my brother's stuttering and ranting and raving subsided, he asked if we kept our tailgate locked. Duh, we didn't realize we could lock it.

Steve said after he reported the theft, he was told by local police that tailgates are hot items now because they can usually be removed in less than 15 seconds and are easily and quickly sold for drug money.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks for the tip! I will find out how to lock it...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:30 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Never heard that one before! I guess some people will do about anything to support those kinds of habbits.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:23 AM   #4
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
If you get a screw type radiator hose clamp and put it around the end that has the slot for removal it might help. It won't keep it from being stolen, but it may slow them a little. I have one on my notch tailgate.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:55 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Truck tailgates have been a hot item for several years. They are so easy to remove, we have a Aluminum V-noch 5th wheel tailgate and it is lockable plus I use the Radiator clamp and when traveling I also use a short cable with a pad lock. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:27 AM   #6
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I lock my tailgate when I have large or heavy things in the bed. A thief would have to lift anything over the tailgate to remove it and hopefully that would be enough of a deterrent.
Locking the tailgate all the time is probably a good thing to do.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:40 AM   #7
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We had ours stolen last year from a medical center parking lot. We now use the regular tailgate and HOPEFULLY will continue to remember to put it down before hooking up or unhooking. With the "notched" one, we never knew how to lock it and the dust and dirt entered the bed through the louvers. We no longer have either problem.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Those diamond studded, gold plated, slotted, notched tailgates would be a valuable item to steal. Glad I still have the stock one and just ordered the lock for it... .. Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have always locked mine. Now, with the Rol-N-Loc, I have a "double lock." But hey, on any tailgate, all that is needed is a flat bladed screw driver to pop it open.

I like the idea of hose clamps. Hmmm! Never thought of that.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:04 AM   #10
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Well, exnavydiver--I didn't know such fancy tailgates existed outside of truck shows! Seriously, although I have seen similar "decked out" tailgates, the one on my brother's truck is the one that comes standard with the new F-350's. So, although it was standard issue, it looked good to someone. Also, I forgot to add to my first post that the truck was parked in a high-traffic lot, in broad daylight, with people all over the place, and no one saw or reported anything. Sadly, there were no video surveillance cameras . . .

Carolyn
Old 06-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On my earlier Fords with non-locking tailgates I used a bicycle cable lock in a corner. There were holes in the bed sidewalls close enough to do that. I don't recall now where the hole was in the tailgate.

Now I will have to check to see if I can use that cable on this Dodge tailgate.

Thanks for reminding me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Gee - Zoots, the truck itself is one of the top most ripped items in the nation, not just the tailgate.

I guess I just don't stress about it.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #13
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Our V-Notch has its own Lock with Keys, and is much less problem to secure. Ford Trucks has long been very easy to steal thats why they were the most stolen Truck. However Ford has improved the system to make it harder to steal. Our Aluminum V-Notch weight is about 20 lbs or less vs 50 lbs or more for the OEM tailgate. Most people don't pull a 5th wheel and have no need for the V-Notch. But to be truthful if it wasn't for the cost I whould have a hauler by Chariot. Maybe next Silverado will be ordered without the OEM bed. But will have to wait to probably 2011 if there is any Diesel left for the USA???? GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #14
Ray Audet
Established Member

M.O.C. #8296
Just a note to the locking of the tailgates. Some specialty truck shops will install an automatic locking mechanism so that when you use your key FOB to lock your truck, it also locks the tailgate. Kinda nice, because you know that everything is locked up. The installation, as I understand it, requires a wire being run from one of the doors to an actuator installed in the tailgate itself. The prices I've heard are $150 - $200, installed. I'm going to have one installed as soon as they are out for the new model Sierra.
Ray Audet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:52 AM   #15
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
We installed a "Pop-Lock". Didn't cost much and simple install.

Works great.
nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:03 AM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I use the OEM key. I place it in the lock and turn it a quarter turn to the right to lock, and a quarter turn to the left to unlock. So far, it has been working flawlessly.

Sorry, some times I just can't even help myself!!!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:20 AM   #17
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Waynem, I'm glad to say you started our day with a laugh (on us). Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees . . .

Double shame on us, again. We've seen that lock right by our hands every time we open the tailgate. I don't think it ever registered on us that it was there for a reason! Talk about being oblivious--we certainly were. Knew it was there--never thought about using it--duh, duh, and double-duh!

Carolyn

Old 06-02-2008, 05:28 AM   #18
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Never thought about locking mine until I read it here.
It's now locked.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:36 AM   #19
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Oz, look at the picture on you signature. Right there by your tailgate handle is what looks like a key slot. Sorry, couldn't help but grin or maybe laugh out loud at your post.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:38 AM   #20
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Tailgate hinge pin lock installed - about $20 online, looks like a sideways "J" and special screw replaces stock.
Also have easy lift tailgate torsion bar that would also slow down anyone trying to remove ( to install the tailgate had to be rotated 90 degrees and took 2 to do).
May get electric remote control lock someday too...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote