Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
3650RK Owners - Center Kitchen Island

In the brochure, it shows the center island with the same top as the sink counter. However, mine came with just a plywood oak veneer top and solid oak trim. Anyone though of either tile or granite tiles for a more fancier look. I thought, that the factory thought, that people may put hot pans on that island, making a nice burn mark. Forgetting hot pads. With tile this would not happen. But I am thinking more of the weight factor. Would there extra weight cause more movement during traveling? Has anyone up graded this island? Another thought would be to just redo the top, a butcher block look or parquet.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
buschet1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7460
We kind of like the wood finish on the island. But our concern was the same as yours. So we just got a large glass cutting board from a kitchen store, put some nonskid drawer liner under it and we have the best of both worlds. That island is not the most secure thing and adding the weight of tile might cause it to become top heavy and more unstable. But I’ll bet it would look good. We love that kitchen!!!
buschet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:42 AM   #3
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
To tell you the truth I never noticed what the brochure showed, We saw the 3650 set up in CW showroom and fell in love with it. We had been hunting for a couple of years and our other choice would have been the 3400. I agree its not the most secure island and the think extra weight on top of it may get it to rocking while traveling.
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We have discussed refinishing the top as well. However, we have redone several stick kitchens in our past and our concern with any tile is the mortor cracking while traveling. Tammy has her KitcheAid mixer that she uses on the island and the poor thing shakes like a dingy in a hurricane - the island, not Tammy (Tammy is relatively stable!) My concern with butcherblock is the weight - it often weighs more than tile. Parquet might be nice on top. One day, I will figure a better way to secure that island!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
With the butcher block it would not be thick as a normal top would be . It would be fabbed up so look like the butcher block, but much lighter. Yes we looked a lot of trailers before getting this one, once she saw the kitchen that was it.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Gregn thats what happened with me DW saw the kitchen an said this is the one. As to the island I have wondered about taking it out for the extra room. You would also have access to kitchen with the slides in. just my mine playing with me I guess. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote