Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Table problem

Has anyone had this problem? My wife went to pull out the extension
on the dinning table and the frame under the table just came apart.Looking closely it was obvious the screws were too small and they should have used glue on it. I don't know if I should go with the warranty or fix it myself,Iam afraid the next one will do the same thing.
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
jjackflash, I haven't had this problem nor have I heard of anyone else have their table fall apart like yours.

IMHO, if you have a warranty, use it. Sure you could probably fix it better than new, but I would document(as you have with your pictures) and notify your dealer.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:19 AM   #3
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
Jack,

The table in my 2004 Monty did the same thing. I replaced the short screws with ones a little longer and used some Gorilla Glue. Use a thin bead of the glue because it expands when it starts to cure. It was still secure when I traded the RV in 2007.

Dee
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:27 AM   #4
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Jack, our 3400 doesn't show or have what your pix indicates. Our grandsons are at that table often for eating and card games and they are the "true testers" if you will. If your handy and don't have to visit your dealer repair it. If you have to visit the dealer for other issues, have them do it. I guess it all depends on your circumstance and closeness to your dealer. Some minor issues that I can do while still under warranty, I do as I am over 100 miles from dealer I rely on. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:24 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jack, Some will say that you need to take it to dealer for every little problem to "Hold Keystone to the fire for quality control". As a fulltimer, that is impossible. My dealer is about 5000 miles away (Alaska). I carry a pretty full compliment of tools to keep my home ship-shape. My motto is "Why take it to a dealer and give him a chance to mess it up more" I repair my own when I can and take to a dealer somewhere when it is something I can't. Your home = your choice.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:43 AM   #6
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
I had this issue and fixed it my self. If you use the Gorilla Glue make sure you read the instructions, water is applyed to one side of the work peace....
just148
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:35 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Jack, I agree with Phil on this, Gorilla glue and slightly bigger screws but send the pics to the dealer anyway. If you take it to the dealer they will just put larger screws in and give it back, still without glue. If you can do it yourself then do it... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:24 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
For what it's worth, you can probably do a better job than taking it back for repairs and then wondering if it's going to hold. I get a lot of satisfaction out of doing things myself and letting my wife brag on me. Does a lot for the ego. Incidentally, someone mentioned Gorilla Glue. I've used it and love it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:17 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I would take a slightly different approach. Talk to your dealer and see if they will order a new table. Then when it comes in, you can merely swap out the table yourself, and add longer screws. Of course, they will have to have the old one to ship back to Keystone. I did this on a couple items where we did not have to drag the trailer back to the dealer. I don't disagree with fixing items yourself. I've done plenty of that, like someone said, so the dealer can't screw it up.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:13 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'd let the dealer fix it under warranty. Any future repairs will be covered under the warranty, should it happen again. If you fix it and they can determine that it has been fixed, and not by "their" standards, the warranty can be voided on that item. I'd only try fixing it if the warranty had expired.

I have absolutely no problems with my dealer, Holiday World South, Houston. They even find stuff I don't mention when I take Hanna in for a small fix. More on that later, as she is in the hospital right now at the dealer's place
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:16 AM   #11
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
SlickWillie has the real answer...even if I am handy!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:19 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hate to say it, but in the RV Industry, that is called "routine maintenance", not "repair" .

Shame on Keystone and the furniture company, but you know and I know that you will fix it better than they do, faster than they do, and you most likely will enjoy doing it.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #13
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Well,after reading all of your posts I think I will repair it myself.
I really won't be gaining anything if they do give me a new table since we haven't even used ours yet,I would have to bring it home take it apart put longer screws in and glue it. I can do that now,since it's already apart and at the same time be saving fuel getting there and back round trip a 100 miles.
Thanks for giving me the push I needed and the gorilla idea.
What a great forum!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote