Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
dieselman
Established Member

M.O.C. #6615
Towing a Large Travel Trailer

This question is for those who have a large Travel Trailer. I am curious as to which hitch you use (Hensley, Resse, Pullright ect). I started out towing Travel Trailers years ago and never worried about sway or weight. When I purchased a trailer I was given equalizer bars and that is what I used. If the trailer swayed I just went slower. Now I am towing a new Mountaineer 31 RLDS which is 35 feet long with 1200# bars and Reese Dual Cam Sway Control. This seems to be the most cost effective. I have looked at the Hensley but deemed it to costly. I am just curious what those of you pulling a large Travel Trailer use and how it is working for you in the wind and inclement weather.

dieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
dieselman -

I towed a 30' Fleetwood and used the Reese setup with equalizers and a single sway control. The equalizers were a pain, but did the job. I did break my arm and a rib on them once when I wasn't paying attention, but can only blame myself. (using the handle to release the load on the equalizer).

The sway bars are amazing. You wouldn't think they have that much effect, but they do. I had overtightened mine once and couldn't understand why my vehicle wouldn't turn on gravel. The swaybar was holding my truck straight, and that was with a single!

For my input to you, I would consider the ease of setting the equalizers as one of the primary things to look for.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Before the 5th wheel I had a 31' Sandpiper. I went to the Hensley hitch and what a difference. You can find them used for 2/3 the original price. My 2001 Dodge had a loose front end and that really amplifies the sway problem. Hensley or pull right are the two I would recommend to anyone pulling over a 28' TT.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:17 AM   #4
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
I tour a 35 ft TT (as you can see in my signature) I use two sway control arms-one on the left side of the hitch and another on the right side. WORKS great!!!! I have to look in the mirrors to make sure it is still there.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Hey - finally a thread I can help on...

We have a 35' trailer and use the EQualizer hitch (actual name). It has built in sway, and rated for 12,000 lbs all the way through. I can just about lift the back of the truck off the ground with it.
As far as towing, I must be set up pretty good, 'cause if I'm not careful I get the speedo creep. Caught myself going way too fast a few times (not recommended) and it was towing like a dream.
Trucks coming the other way go largely unnoticed, and rain hasn't been an issue either.
Three years into it and I'm starting to see a little wear, but compared to the old motorhome we used to have, I can relax behind the wheel now.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselman

This question is for those who have a large Travel Trailer. I am curious as to which hitch you use (Hensley, Resse, Pullright ect). I started out towing Travel Trailers years ago and never worried about sway or weight. When I purchased a trailer I was given equalizer bars and that is what I used. If the trailer swayed I just went slower. Now I am towing a new Mountaineer 31 RLDS which is 35 feet long with 1200# bars and Reese Dual Cam Sway Control. This seems to be the most cost effective. I have looked at the Hensley but deemed it to costly. I am just curious what those of you pulling a large Travel Trailer use and how it is working for you in the wind and inclement weather.
dieselman,
Our trailer is the same length as yours and we also use this reese hitch.

Its worked excellent for us. We've been on long drives with wicked
cross winds and when the 18 wheelers blow by its really done a
great job keeping things stable. This is one thing I've never thought
we could do better on.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have the 35' 330RKBS and also use the Reese Hitch with Dual Sway. I traveled in some really nasty south wind coming home from Christmas at the farm. I kept thinking to myself what is this sway problem everyone was warning me about on that trip home. I guess they have advanced these hitches in the last few years becasue I sometimes can't tell its behind me...until I look at the gas guage.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselman

When we had the 335RLBS Mountaineer, I used a Reese, with sway control. Great set up except when you pass 18 wheelers. I don't care what hitch set up you have, you are going to get "sucked around". That is one reason we went to a 5er; that is a problem that is eliminated. Good luck!
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:18 AM   #9
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We also used the Reese and cams for years towing a large 34' with a front kitchen. It worked well and I would highly recommend the setup. We continued with Reese Signature series 5th wheel hitch because I think they make a good product and stand behind the Reese name.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #10
dieselman
Established Member

M.O.C. #6615
Thanks for all of the replies. I will let you all know how the Reese hitch with the cams do when towing. I am looking forward to a long time affair with this trailer and will let you all know how it goes.
dieselman is offline   Reply With Quote