Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2007, 07:37 AM   #1
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
"Awesome" Cleaner

I saw this post over at RV.Net and thought I would pass it along to members here. I have never used this cleaner but have heard others here talking about it.

Posted: 01/03/07 11:34am Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used some Awesome Orange cleaner (from the dollar store, NOT the full strength version) to remove some black streaks that I always get from the drip rail on the top front side where the F/G cap meets the sides. Sprayed the cleaner on, let it sit for a few minutes and then washed it off, it cleaned the black streaks off just fine.

The next day as I went to park my MH back in the storage lot, I did my usual walk around and I noticed the caulking at the area where I used the Awesome Orange cleaner was hanging off!

No big deal to reseal the caulking, but be aware this cleaner can cause caulk failure. I religiously inspect my caulking and seams, and was surprised to find this.

On the other hand, this might be a good product to use when you're trying to clean off old caulk. As always, don't use it full strength around paint or decals.

Best Regards!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul D
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
(aka "R SANITY ")
2003 Honda Element 4WD Toad

AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Great information. Thanks!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I used Awesome full strength on my Terry for about 5 years on black streaks, mildew, heck, anything that got on it. Never had any problems with caulk or decals. I would wet the surface, spray the Awesome and brush with a long handled RV wash brush, then rinse like crazy, never let it dry on. One good thing was that the plastic items that normally turn yellow stayed a nice bright white.. I won't use it on my new monty which has gelcoat and a special coating that is "supposed" to prevent fading and black spots.. In a year I will know if it was money well spent or not..(i suspect not but the DW wanted to try it).
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I have a sneaking idea that the "orange" or citrus smell is put in there to hide the petroleum distillates in the forumla. And we all know what that can do to decals and sealer.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We use it like Jim does. I have a feeling the "let it set a few minutes" might have been the problem. Or maybe the trim would have come off anyway.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Oh boy, I used the standard "Awesome" on all the caulk moldings around my coach while in Goshen at the fall rally. I sure hope this spring when the coach comes out of the garage I dont find all the caulk laying on the floor....
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Oh boy, I used the standard "Awesome" on all the caulk moldings around my coach while in Goshen at the fall rally. I sure hope this spring when the coach comes out of the garage I don't find all the caulk laying on the floor....
Dave I dont know if you were trying to be funny but that made me chuckle.
Thanks,
Rick.
P.S I hope you don't find all your caulk laying on the floor too.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Regular awsome is not a petroleum based product.You can safely use it and rinse well. The citrus Awsome is just that..Citris oil. Don't use that on your trailer.
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we have been using the regular Awsome on the camper since we got it..no problems.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:37 AM   #10
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Bonnie bought a bottle of the regular Awesome (looks the color of lemonade) at the Dollar store after reading a post on this forum last fall. She used it on some pet stains and grease on the carpet. The stains came right out. She now uses some in the laundry (our son thinks he is Cooter on Dukes of Hazard) on the heavily soiled stuff. She says it works wonders. It comes in a 20 oz. spray bottle and has a dilution chart for its various uses.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #11
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
The regular Awesome..color of lemonade is the right stuff to use. I have about 6 squirt bottles on hand at all times. Works great! Rinse well!!
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote