Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2006, 07:33 AM   #1
vicenzi
Established Member

M.O.C. #6309
Leaks around Frig. Vent Doors

Recently got a new 2007 3400. So far we really like the unit. However we have experienced a leak from around the two frig vent doors. Rain water enters there and then drips down onto the carpert under the frig. Our dealer has made a repair to it, but it seems that it will be only temporary. Just wondered if any of the rest has experienced this problem and if you did what did you do to fix it.

vicenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Vicenzi, make sure the drain hose is sticking out of the lower outside vent. If not you will also get water in your unit from that. Some dealers forget to do this.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:08 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Vicenzi -
I agree with Mudchief, might be the drain hose from the fridge. If not, I am curious how the rain is getting in and what the Dealer fix was?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
vicenzi
Established Member

M.O.C. #6309
bsmeaton-
It's not the drain. This is rain water. At the bottom of the vent doors there are three small channels (at least with mine) and because of the inward slant allows rain water to flow in onto the floor under the the frig. and then gets to the carpet below by following LP gas lines and electric cable. The dealer made a small wall at the bottom of the door (on the inside of course) out of a material like rubberized chaulk. It has worked for the last several weeks, but I do not think it can be permanent. I have some ideas that I think might work, but was looking to find someone that had been there before. As a note of caution to others out there. I would not have known that I had a problem had the carpret under the cabinet next to the stove gotten wet and was noticed by my wife.
vicenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Interesting,
I will check my new out thoroughly - I certainly can't tolerate water damage or mold.

I have a single lower vent on mine now (top one is on the roof). I would have thought they were the same type. Perhaps I was getting water and just never found it.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:38 AM   #6
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Vicenzi,

I had the same problem. It only happened when I had the slide out. I took it to the dealer and they found that the refrigerator trim was improperly installed from the factory. The dealer had to remove the trim and shim the rear to correct the height and reinstall the trim. Then they caulked and also drilled 4 weep holes on each side of the corner tabs to further channel the water. Two days ago we had some heavy rain and I opened the slides as a test. I checked the next day and it was dry. So the fix worked.
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote