Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2006, 01:54 AM   #1
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
On the Road Again...Well not quite...

The brake actuator that will replace the HD3000 that failed last Thursday arrived by UPS overnight from Elkhart, IN yesterday afternoon. Hurrah! It's he ActiBrake unit, now being installed by Mor/ryde. The Kiwi RV repairman plans to start the installation at 8 am today and I hope to leave Benson by noon. I'm planning to reach Wikieup to stay overnight, then will go on to Sunset CG in Death Valley tomorrow.

Wish me luck!
SKP Hugs, Sharon

Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:01 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Good luck Gypsy, hopefully they will have your rig ready soon, and end the brake problem. Have a safe trip.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:31 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Gypsy, good to hear that you will be back on the road again soon. Keep us posted.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:12 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Glad it worked out for you guys, careful, and..........Dirty side down!!
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Well, as it turns out, I spoke too soon. The actuator was installed and the brakes work. However, not only do they work when the brake pedal is pushed or the brake controller is activated, they also work when the headlights are turned on!

So now we're troubleshooting to see where the wiring is wrong. And what caused it to go wrong??? Electronics are never simple...

But the sun is still shining and I have a nice RV park to stay in. And I'm trying to keep smiling.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Sorry to hear that Gypsy. I was sure you were ready to hit the road eariler. Keep us posted.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:02 PM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Well Gypsy when you get this problem taken care of you will be a brake expert that we all can rely on for help. Hope your problem gets taken care of soon. Happy Birthday.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:12 PM   #8
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
I really thought I'd be on the road way before now, but the brake actuator installation took longer than expected on Friday, since we discovered some wiring problems. When we tested the brakes they worked -- With the brake pedal, with the brake controller (Prodigy), and with the headlight switch !! I'll be fine if I just don't drive at night.

Several hours later, with several wires replaced, the headlights now run only the headlights, and the running lights, or at least most of them. But not the ones on the front of the Monty. Somehow, the ground wire function was lost when a Scotch Lock fell off when pulling the new wiring through, so there's power to the lights but no ground, and those two lights don't work. I decided since it didn't pose a safety or legal issue, I'll let the problem sit for now.

We also discovered the casing on the 100A circuit breaker in the slide-out wiring had cracked, and one of the terminals fell completely out. No similar part could be found in Benson or Tucson, so we finally ordered a replacement to be shipped. It should arrive on Wed. This breaker replaced the stock 50A breaker which kept tripping, and I was advised by Lippert to replace it with a 100A breaker, which I did about a year ago at Fox RV in Indiana. It has worked fine for a year, and I have no idea why it broke. Maybe I stuffed too much 'stuff' in the compartment.

Meanwhile, I still want to go to Death Valley for the '49er Encampment, which ends Sunday. About 15 Escapees SOLOS are there and I promised them I'd be there (I'm Prez of the group). I might catch the last 1-1/2 days of the event. And I'm planning to have my birthday present from me to me installed there - a roof-mounted automatic tuning satellite dish!

Still smiling and I had a great birthday.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:17 AM   #9
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
At least you are in sunshine. We have been so wet we look like prunes. Take care and see ya in Q.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote