Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
insulating basement ceiling

Today, I insulated the ceiling in the basement. I used urethane 1" sheets with the aluminium foil backing, and secured it with metal tape. It won't burn if there is a spark and it really made a difference in conserving heat and keeping the floor warm. Also, the window had fallen in the door about 1 inch. Took it apart and found the frame holding pins broke. I insulated and repaired that also. I am having trouble getting the sensors in the black water tank to clear. The unit is currently stationary but tried flushing but it did not work. Will be heading South shortly from Wisconsin and it should clear then. I have also tighted up the underbelly covering. Every little bit helps! Am still having trouble running down the TV cables. I have two in my upper cabinet and don't know where they go.

Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Roger,

Good Idea, insulating the basement floor. Did you cut the sheets to fit between the Alum framing ? or put it over top ?
Post some pictures sometime. It definitely helps when you can build & fix things on your own. You aren't the only person with black tank sensors that don't work right, most just ignore the gauges, It isn't hard to figure when the tanks are just about full anyways. You might have to take the TV out so you can figure out the TV cables. then you can mark them for future reference.

Take care
J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:55 AM   #3
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Montana Rog, this is very valuable info for those of us who may be in very cold temps with our Monty. My husband doesn't use the computer at all but I try to share all the valuable info I read here and this will be one of them. He is an industrial insulator and when we get our Monty, he will be doing some extra insulating as well. Thanks for sharing!
Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:52 AM   #4
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
Has any one insulated wall between furnace& basement
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
MontanaRog,

Great idea on the insulation!

Just a shot in the dark, but regarding the two cables in your upper cabinet; Doesn't one come from the overhead antenna and the other from the main cabinet? That was how mine came from the factory.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:04 PM   #6
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
I have two shelves in my upper cabinet above the TV. The upper one has two cables, the lower one has a coax jack. I think one may be for satellite TV and the other for cable..The jack, I believe goes directly to the booster...I tried a telephone signal generator, but there may be a splitter in the wall somewhere. I got a picture with the on board antenna, so that's good enough for now.

Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
A way to clean your black tank is to put a 40 pound bag of cube ice in your tank just put it in through your toilet just before traveling make sure it gets into the tank and take off it will break out all the solids in your tank and most likely clean your sencors and then it just melts to water form just a little trick I learned with my last 5'er it always had the sensor problems it always worked for us good luck
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Tim

Probably works, but I can think of much better uses for a bag of ice!

Ever tried the Calgon trick??

Course, we only use the Calgon to know it is clean, we don't give a care in the world what those silly sensors say anywho!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote