Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2006, 04:25 AM   #1
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Which brand Keystone RVs offer the best insulation

I was just looking at the Keystone brands/models and construction and it appears that the Everest offers more insulation overall (or am I wrong??). I find it shows it with R values of 9, 15, and 29 and Montana's with R values of 21, 14, and 9. Could someone clarify this for me perhaps?

Thanks!

Sandi

Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
As you stated looks like Keystone says the Everest top the Montana by R8 in the floor and the R1 in the roof.

Looks like Montana has 6" of fiberglass in the floor and the Everest as 8" in it's floor.

To add up "R" values you would add the total floor make up carpet, pad, sub floor, the bubble foil, it all makes the R value. So if the pad is thicker or carpet heaver weight higher the "R" value.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Montanas have vented attics, Everest did not up to 06. This is important in some climates.

Montanas have the double pane glass option, I think Everest doesn't.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
That is what I was wondering - what the major differences were between the Everest and the Montana. From what I read too Wrenchtravler, you are right, the Everest does not appear to offer the dual pane windows or the attic vents as even an option. Would attic vents be more important in hot/humid weather or in an RV being camped in all during the cold/winter season??? What if you had a dehumidifier - would that resolve the moisture issue enough for full-time winter use?
Old 10-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sandi

I vote for attic vents, specially in the winter. Winter is when we fight condensation, just breathing in there can cause a bunch of humidity. Have not tried a dehumidfier, use the ceiling vents (specially the one with the maxaire fan) to control the humidity. Somewhere I remember hearing/reading that we need to be concerned about moisture in and around walls and ceiling. Not sure I understood that correctly. But, I am for any little thing that helps keep my Montana comfy!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
Montana_6085
Established Member

M.O.C. #6085
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

Montanas have vented attics, Everest did not up to 06. This is important in some climates.

Montanas have the double pane glass option, I think Everest doesn't.
I was told by Jack in the Everest division at the factory that Everest does have the attic vents now.

GQ
Montana_6085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
Montana_6085
Established Member

M.O.C. #6085
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wannabe Full-timer

That is what I was wondering - what the major differences were between the Everest and the Montana. From what I read too Wrenchtravler, you are right, the Everest does not appear to offer the dual pane windows or the attic vents as even an option. Would attic vents be more important in hot/humid weather or in an RV being camped in all during the cold/winter season??? What if you had a dehumidifier - would that resolve the moisture issue enough for full-time winter use?
Everest has an attic vent and it also has dual pane windows as an option. It isn't listed but they do offer them because I called and talked to the factory myself about the Everests. A dehumidifier will work but it does help a lot to have the attic vents.

GQ
Old 10-01-2006, 02:11 PM   #8
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
When we were looking for a rig, we checked out the Everest. The brochure does list the R values as 15/9/29 for ceiling/walls/floor. The only thing I noticed is that Everest calls them "R Values" and Montana calls them "R Ratings." Also the Everest calls their insulation package the "Optional Double Insulation Package" compared to our "Arctic Insulation Package."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:39 AM   #9
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Thanks so much for clearing these things up for me. I sure appreciate it.

Now, the values I listed for both the Montana and the Everest - are they then WITH the extra insulation - as in the Arctic pkg. for the Montana and the double insulation pkg. for the Montana?

If the Everest has the attic vents and you can get the double pane windows, what would be any other major difference between the Montana's and the Everest's?

Again, thanks so much.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:42 AM   #10
Montana_6085
Established Member

M.O.C. #6085
Quote:

Thanks so much for clearing these things up for me. I sure appreciate it.

Now, the values I listed for both the Montana and the Everest - are they then WITH the extra insulation - as in the Arctic pkg. for the Montana and the double insulation pkg. for the Montana?

If the Everest has the attic vents and you can get the double pane windows, what would be any other major difference between the Montana's and the Everest's?

Again, thanks so much.
YES...they are listed with the extra insulation for the values they list.

The difference I have seen, and mind you it is only my opinion, is that Montanas have way more storage than the Everests and we personally liked the workmanship and such of the Montana more than the Everest.

GQ
Old 10-02-2006, 03:48 AM   #11
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Thank you for your feedback. Opinions are exactly what I am looking for.

We have been in a lot of Montana's but not the Everest's. There is one particular floor plan (345S) that I liked in the Everest which really caught my interest; however, I liked the walls, flooring, and counter-tops better in the Montana.

I wonder if anyone would know which would hold up better for full-timing and particularly cold weather (I know they are not considered to be full-time units and/or used for cold weather camping per se).
Old 10-02-2006, 07:42 AM   #12
Montana_6085
Established Member

M.O.C. #6085
Quote:

Thank you for your feedback. Opinions are exactly what I am looking for.

We have been in a lot of Montana's but not the Everest's. There is one particular floor plan (345S) that I liked in the Everest which really caught my interest; however, I liked the walls, flooring, and counter-tops better in the Montana.

I wonder if anyone would know which would hold up better for full-timing and particularly cold weather (I know they are not considered to be full-time units and/or used for cold weather camping per se).
Yerah, we fell in love with the floor plan for the 345S Everest also. But, we have a problem with so little storage in that one. They just don't have a goodly amount of cabinets, like in the kitchen area, which is where I would like more. The 3600RE Montana is close to the same type of floor plan of the 345 Everest. It is not the same but it is close, in that it does have the ful width entertainment center and we checked one out over the weekend and the entertainment center for the 3600RE Montana is nicer than the one for the Everest. And of course it is our opinion of course. But by checking out some that were on the lot of the dealer close by to us we really ended up liking the 3295 Montana, as it seems that it would be better for us the way it is laid out. The rear kitchen gives plenty of cabinet storage and lots of counter space. We also love the entrance closet it has that is where the washer/dryer is supposed to go. We don't plan on having a washer/dryer so it is perfect to put the cat litter for our baby.

GQ
Old 10-02-2006, 09:03 AM   #13
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
GQ, that is so funny - we, too, chose the Montana 3295 as our first choice and then the 3400 as our second even before actually seeing them and we still are partial to the 3295. I loved the kitchen in the 3295, although I do not do much cooking any longer. I like where the desk is located in the 3295 since I work at home on my PC or laptop, although I like the desk in the 3400 better. I just do not really want to be near the TV. Even if husband wore headphones, I think it would be distracting to me as I am one that needs quiet when I work.

I figured with the Everest I could take a recliner out and put a small desk of my choice in that would fit. Nice to hear your opinion of how the Everest lacks the storage space, since we have never been in one, and have been in all the Montana's that we had interest in. I personally would want a washer & dryer if we would be living in it full-time.

I really appreciate your feedback (and everyone else's) and feel maybe we better stick with the Montana's from what people are saying.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think the Everest is a good rig but, like everything else, the best rig for you depends on how you plan to use it and how long you plan to keep it. I've asked three different Keystone executives on three different occasions exactly what the difference is between Everest and Montana. In all three cases I was told they have essentially equal bottom line budgets but spend them in different ways. The Everest spends more on "eye candy." Not that eye candy is bad. It is very appealing to see the nice wood, hardware, etc. The Montana spends a bigger percentage on construction quality, including the attic vents to vent moisture. Check the Montana and Everest websites for construction information. Montana shows the attic vents. Everest neither shows attic vents nor mentions them at all. Take a close look in every nook and cranny and you'll see the construction differences. Look at the hardware and interior appointments and you'll see Everest is nicer in that respect. So you have to decide for yourself which is more important to you. Either way, if you pick the one that works best for you I don't think you'll be making a mistake.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:06 PM   #15
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Steve, I think someone mentioned on another thread that even though they don't list the attic vents on the Everest's they did start putting them on them in the last year or two. That may not be so, as I know I did not see them listed on the Keystone site either, but someone else said they had inquired and were told they now are included so they very well may be.

That being said, I think the Montana may be a more solid unit overall for us for full-timing, particularly if we are going to be in the winter weather, although the Everest may actually be better as far as insulation factor so it would be a hard call on that I think.

I did write to Keystone and inquired about this and they actually wrote me back and told me that the Montana was the only one that they had confirmed by testing to do well in 0 temps. Of course, that also just means they didn't actually test the Everest in the same type of situation I would assume.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:54 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I remember someone saying at the plant (our tour guide?) that they just started putting vented attics in the Everest. We drove by one while at the plant during the Rally and noticed the vents on a new Everest sitting outside their plant.

I can't imagine the Everest not being as good or better than the Montana in cold weather. I understand what they are saying about the testing, but I would like to ask the question, "Is there any reason why the Everest would NOT perform as well as, or better than, the Montana at zero degrees???"
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:48 AM   #17
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
That would be my question as well Dave. Keystone just told me that the Montana is the only one that hasn't been tested. However, since the Everest "appears" to have more insulation and does have the attic vents, it makes me kind of wonder if it wouldn't do better in colder weather (and hotter for that matter). However, someone mentioned that the value of the Everest seems to depreciate more than the Montana but I wonder if that could have anything to do with the demand/popularity of the Montana ???

I guess I should have asked Keystone, based on how the two are constructed, which one would perform better in extreme weather conditions, the Everest or the Montana.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:52 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I believe the popularity of the Montana - even used - is the reason for the value retention.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote