Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2022, 11:20 AM   #1
Papa
Established Member

M.O.C. #28780
Send a message via AIM to Papa
Good Sams membership

Weighing pros and cons of renewing my Good Sam membership? I joined originally because I was offered a special deal that made the membership free when I purchased some items for my trailer.

I usually shop online for more expensive items but the member prices are pretty good at times making it worthwhile to go to the Camping World store near us.

Any experiences (good or bad) to share?

Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:36 AM   #2
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
It has always worked ok for me- I am a life member. On edit- I do not use the road side service.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 05:56 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Along with the Camping World/Gander Outdoors discounts, there also many Campgrounds that give a 10% discount to Good Sam Members.
Old 07-23-2022, 06:08 PM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Me too…we find it worthwhile.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 09:03 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Although you do have to watch what you buy at Camping World or Gander RV because some things are a bit pricier, like said, the 10% discount at several RV parks alone make it worthwhile for us.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 09:27 PM   #6
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Here is my only Good Sam experience.

While on vacation this Spring, my pickup decided to puke it's engine pulling our Montana 15 mi out of Flagstaff AZ.
Wife got on the phone with GS arguing that "We have you 89 miles out of Flagstaff"..
While they argued over that, I called the Tow outfit, AND the Dealership to fix my rig. They were on scene with 2 trucks hooking up before my Wife was off hold with GS.
Finally just told them we'd settle up later.
Got home and GS said "we don't pay when people call their own tow truck". Well, I'm here to tell you after an ass chewing they're never going to forget, they paid BOTH tow bills in full.

It shouldn't have been like that but they DID ultimately pay the bill.
Old 07-24-2022, 05:00 AM   #7
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
We've been Good Sam Elite members since purchasing our first TT 12 years ago. It has worked out well for us with discount at campgrounds and in store purchases. As stated, check prices. You can generally find the same item cheaper online, but sometimes it's worth getting it right away vs waiting. We also have roadside and emergency medical plan as well as an extended warranty on the Montana now.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:10 AM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Mark, will be trying the same. While we are Life Time GS Members I will be dropping their road service as we needed them two weeks ago when our Fuel pump went out on our TV, tried twice with GS to get a tow and never got anywhere. Called a local company and they were there is less than 15 minutes.
Might give Coach Net a try, I've read really good things about them.
Old 07-24-2022, 07:15 AM   #9
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Never had GS roadside but have been with Coach Net for years. Yes it appears to be a bit pricy. But when I needed it, Coach Net sent out a complete roadside assistance vehicle with operation--air compressor, tools, jacks, etc.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:46 AM   #10
TomS

M.O.C. #28596
Used the road service twice, once in Arkansas they towed both 5th wheel and TV within the hour. Second time the dispatcher could not find where the Florida Georgia line was on 95, sent tow truck from Miami for a flat tire. Cancelled that one when the Florida road service guy came by.
TomS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:36 AM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Became life members when it was a real camping club. Since CW bought them we haven't used it at all. Total waste of money for us, particularly since I found out I can usually get a better price for RV needs on Amazon. Our life membership with Escapees is another stituation in total, use it all the time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:09 PM   #12
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Have had a life memberwhip with GS for about 10 years. Have used the roadside assistance a few times. With motorcycle 1 time and TV broke a driveshaft 1 time. Both vehicles towed satisfactorily. Had a flat in the middle of the night and tow vehicle was there in 20 min. So far I am satisfied.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:45 PM   #13
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Been a member for 6 years with no issues.
Get a discount on diesel at Pilot/Flying J.
Get a discount at most campgrounds.
Get a discount CW.
BTW, before going to CW, find what you are looking for on CW website. It’s usually cheaper on the website but the store will match the price.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:01 PM   #14
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I was a GS member when I first got my RV 8 years ago. It was good because there is a Camping world a couple of miles form my house and I was alway their buying things for it. But after owning the RV for couple of years I have everything I need on board now. I haven't shopped at GS in years, so I dropped them. I use Amazon for the few thing I might need ever so often. For Campground discounts I use Passport America.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:20 AM   #15
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Like any membership, it only pays for itself and then you benefit from it, IF you use it. If you camp at Good Sam campgrounds, the card will pay for itself about about 3 or 4 nights of camping. Anything more, and you are money ahead. However, some privately owned campgrounds are pretty high priced, and compared to state park camping, you will pay much more. But you also get all the amenities, like full hook-up, that you might not get a state park.

If you shop at Camping World or Gander Mountain (or whatever it's called now), you also get a discount on your purchases.

We have a Good Sam card, we've carried for, probably over 20 years now. It's paid for itself and then some every year. We plan our annual pilgrimage to Camping World in the Spring and use that opportunity to replace items, like broken camping chairs, worn out yard mats for under the awning, gadgets and sewer hose replacements. It does save, but .... even with the discounts, sometimes Wall Mart's prices are still cheaper. So, you've got to shop wisely to make the card pay for itself.

Still, if you use it, it's a nice thing to have. There no commitments, it's a one year (inexpensive) price, and no obligations. You can expect some emails and advertisements in your snail mail though. Other than that, it's a good program.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:31 AM   #16
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa View Post
... I joined originally because I was offered a special deal that made the membership free when I purchased some items for my trailer.

Just a note:
We never renew our membership on-line. We have always renewed our membership inside an actual Camping World stick-n-brick store. And we usually do the renewal at the same time we do our "annual pilgrimage." Why do we do it this way?

Because the employee at the cash register will work with you to give you additional discounted membership prices that are not even mentioned on their web site. Every year we've done this, we've received a lesser price than anything listed on the web site, or the mail-in renewal notice.

If you have a Camping World any where near you, or you are traveling and stumble across one, check there. See what they can do. You might be surprised.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:20 AM   #17
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
We had GS for a while, but felt we were being " nickel and dimed" at renewal time and then tried to use it in our own country, Canada and found coverage very limited so we switched back to CAA with RV coverage. They did help us when we ran out of diesel in the middle of nowhere in West Texas though, many years ago.
2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:48 AM   #18
PeteMorris
Established Member

M.O.C. #19208
We gave up our membership a few years ago after being a member for years.

On line prices are much more competitive than GW’s.

We “saved” .06 a gallon for diesel at Flying J, which normally runs .08 to .09 higher than the competition.

Most CG’s now offer similar camping discounts for AAA or AARP.

Bottom line; we no longer see any savings or other advantage for a Good Sams Card, and no longer carry it.
PeteMorris is offline   Reply With Quote