Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
ldmerritt

M.O.C. #29998
Dish TV

Hey there. We are new to RV’ing and getting frustrated by the lack of WiFi and TV service at the RV parks. Several people we spoke to have Dish for RVs. Can anyone give us some tips on what to get for TV and WiFi service? Thank you so much.

ldmerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:55 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have Dish. It works pretty good. I don't add the local channels option. They have a month by month plan for RVers. I just stop it when I get home and don't pay the next month.
The only problem, all be it small, is when I change time zones, I have to call them to change my location. Otherwise the guide shows the wrong time for everything.
My dish is the Pathways II, I believe. It only requires the coax connection for power. This usually means the newer rigs with KeyTV won't work, because it won't feed the power backwards to the dish. You can run a separate line to the inside box for the tv, or disconnect Keytv behind the storage panel and reconnect the in and output lines via an adapter.
I just put up with bad wifi, and if it is really bad I use my ATT phone for a hotspot.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 06:21 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Leanne,

Welcome to the forum! This is a great place to learn and share.

If you go Dish, I recommend the Winegard X2 antenna. A little bigger but works better. Run a separate coax for it and you will be happier. We switched to Dish at home after using it in the RV. If you also use it at home it is only $7 a month additional for the RV.

Use your phone as a hotspot to get WIFI. Some of us feel free when we are not tied to WIFI.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:15 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! We've had Dish for 11 years of full timing and are happy with it. We have a Hopper 3, Joey and a Traveler antenna, but again we are full time. When not at one of our two home bases we use our phones as hot spots for the wifi. Never have used the park stuff even when it's offered.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:42 PM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have used the Winguard Direct TV, automatic satellite on top, on 4 different 5th wheels. We use Direct-TV at home base, therefore we have used Direct-TV since 2006. In the early years we had Hughes Net, I set it up all over the lower 48, pain in setting it up, however it worked. I prefer Direct TV, simple, one touch you are locked on the satellite. Hughes Net provide great internet service all over the lower 48. Good Luck on your choice.

Happy trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 09:01 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We also have Dish for TV. I think everyone has cover that.
For internet we use our phones. In places the signal is weak we have a WeBoost Destination RV.
Here's the write up I did on it.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=83185
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:38 AM   #7
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Dish here as well, I’ve had dish for 20 years but I’m that odd guy. I haul a tripod and the home style dish around with us because we’re usually parked for awhile do to work. When we travel I just don’t worry about it as I’ll use wifi for the Roku or the roof antenna.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:06 AM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
In the past, we had Direct TV and Dish TV at the house. We had each for about 3 years. When we got Dish TV, we started with a tripod antenna but quickly moved to the Tailgater (which found the satellites automatically - much easer). The receiver traveled from the house to the camper and back to the house when we traveled and returned home.

We never bothered contacting Dish TV when we traveled to get local stations. We just flip to over-the-air television form our camper roof-top antenna for local networks.

We were with Direct TV first and then Dish TV second and we dropped both of them after about 3 years with each because both followed the same pattern. They started us out with a reasonable payment (and all we had was basic) that lasted a year. The second year, the price jumped. They re-negotiated a price for the second year, which was still higher, and the same thing for the 3rd year. By the 3rd year, the price (for both) reached over $100 a month. That was just too much to pay.

The other thing that turned us off on satellite television was the amount of commercials. We are not sports enthusiasts at all, we are movie watchers and more reality-type shows like This Old House, or Love it or list it, Property Brothers, HGTV stuff....

We noticed a trend with all of these shows, stations, and services.... there was eventually nothing new. They seemed to repeat the same shows over and over again. Next, the commercials lasted longer than the actual show.

Between the higher prices, repeat shows, and nothing but advertisements, we decided to simply go back to over-the-air television.

Oh granted, there were those campsites where we had absolutely NO television reception. And that was OK too. We adapted and found other ways to occupy our time.

Moving forward a few more years. Our jobs started allowing us to work from home (Information Technology work, computers). And all was great at home, but when the pandemic started, we really wanted to take our jobs on the road with us.

Finding a suitable cell phone program provider that fit our needs was a long process. We had AT&T and the hot spot worked great with my company, but not the wife's.

Early this year we learned about Visible and a truly unlimited data plan. We decided to give it a try. We picked up a small portable router that plugs into the phone so we can connect multiple devices, and we've been using it exclusively for almost everything since we got it!

As we travel around, Visible has not lost a beat (only once, and we switched back to our AT&T phones for a couple days). And we do a lot of streaming video on our Ruko televisions and our computers for work, work flawless.

Before forking out a bunch of money for a satellite system that is going to lock you into contract for a couple years, watch stations that are 50% advertisements, and face rising prices, ..... at least .... look into Visible?

FYI.... even if the campground offers cable hook-up, we don't use it. The few times we've tried, we are horribly disappointed because there's nothing but advertisements. We switch back to our Visible and use our choice sites. There may be some advertisments for the unpaid (not subscription required) sites, but for the $40 a month unlimited Visible plan, it's not so frustrating now. By the way, if you go in a plan with another person, the price reduces.

And yes, regardless of what the nay-sayers say, it truly is unlimited. I know ... we stretch the stuffing's out of ours!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:22 AM   #9
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
We are not full timers but last year we spent about 30 days on the the road and about 30 again this year. For tv we use over the air and campground cable. Most of the time it works ok. We also use campground wi-if. We did get a wi-if booster for the times that we are in the back of the park and it works pretty well for us. We don’t work from our rig we just relax. We spend a lot of time out by the fire pit listening to music and reading or napping. That’s what works for us .
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:02 PM   #10
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I have had dish at home for over 20 years. I've always had a dish on my RV. I currently have a Travel'r and take our Hopper 3 from home.. Still have the Pathways and Wally in case of trees or other obstacles. When traveling, I will watch our locals on Dish until they won't come in anymore due to distance from home. I then call Dish and have locals switched to where we are.

About a year ago switched to Visible for internet at home and when traveling. Great to finally have good internet everywhere we go, and never have to change connection on any devices.. Visible phone and portable router ride in rig hooked up to 12 volts. Have internet in truck while traveling. Visible has worked flawlessly.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote