Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
Old Spiffy

M.O.C. #26277
Clunking noise

We have a 2015, 3711 FL that makes clunking sounds, most of the time, but not all the time, when we move around inside. Seems to be coming from between kitchen slide and bedroom slide.
I know that is vague, but we have spent hours trying to narrow down the location or locations!!!
Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Old Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Sometimes my husband forgets to put leveling blocks under the stabilizers. It is a thing for him and a constant cause of nagging on my part. The last time he did that, the stabilizers were extended almost to their limit. Not only did we have a lot of wobble, we also had the clunking sound you describe. I have no idea what caused the noise but on our next stop we used blocks under the stabilizers and problem solved. Hope this is what is causing your phantom noise.
Old 11-01-2020, 02:50 PM   #3
Old Spiffy

M.O.C. #26277
I have been on gravel and asphalt for six months, now on concrete for one month... no pads. This last month has been worse. So, pads will be a quick and cheap solution if that’s the cause of the clunking!
Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #4
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Spiffy View Post
I have been on gravel and asphalt for six months, now on concrete for one month... no pads. This last month has been worse. So, pads will be a quick and cheap solution if that’s the cause of the clunking!
Thanks for the tip!
I allways use wood pads under all the legs. Just feel better about keeping the pads away form water.

Does your unit have 6 point hydraulic level up ? If so, there is an additive to add to the tank to eliminate that popping noise.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:12 PM   #5
Old Spiffy

M.O.C. #26277
Yes my unit has a 6 point hydraulic level up ? What is the additive?
Thanks
Old 11-01-2020, 06:46 PM   #6
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Spiffy View Post
Yes my unit has a 6 point hydraulic level up ? What is the additive?
Thanks
There is a Lippert bulletin on that. One of the additives is made by caterpillar the other one is some form of fork oil. If you Google that you should come up with a hit
Old 11-01-2020, 10:37 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Don--If you go to the Search Engine at the top of the page and click on it and then type in fork oil, you will come up with numerous posts concerning this problem and some of the names of the additive you can put in your hydraulic reservoir. If you click to the post titled Hydraulic Leveling System and page down to rohrmann's post dated 10-13-2014 you will see a list of the additives. Good luck and I hope this is what is causing your CLUNK!
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:39 AM   #8
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
The fork oil or other anti-stiction fluids are used to eliminate a loud popping noise usually when actuating the jacks or slides. IIRC, the popping noise is quite loud but only occurs when you are running the jacks in or out, not while sitting still. Here's a link to the Lippert Service Bulletin https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0002091.pdf. I used the Maxima Fork Oil available on Amazon for about $15.00.
If you ever hear the popping noise, you will think the trailer is coming apart. It's very loud and you can actually feel it when you're inside. It's quite disturbing if you aren't aware of what it is.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:42 AM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
The fork oil or other anti-stiction fluids are used to eliminate a loud popping noise usually when actuating the jacks or slides. IIRC, the popping noise is quite loud but only occurs when you are running the jacks in or out, not while sitting still. Here's a link to the Lippert Service Bulletin https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0002091.pdf. I used the Maxima Fork Oil available on Amazon for about $15.00.
If you ever hear the popping noise, you will think the trailer is coming apart. It's very loud and you can actually feel it when you're inside. It's quite disturbing if you aren't aware of what it is.
That's not quite true. There are many others in myself that had the problem while sitting still. Stormy the cat fluid additive corrected that
Old 11-02-2020, 04:51 AM   #10
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I stand corrected then. When I got that noise, it was very cold outside and I was told that the cold weather was the primary cause and that it was pressure variances in the hydraulic system that caused it. Since adding the fork oil, it hasn't happened again.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:32 AM   #11
Old Spiffy

M.O.C. #26277
Thanks to everyone’s response, very helpful!
I must say that the last month has been in Apache Junction, AZ, so the temperature variation would definitely contribute to why we hear the clunking more often!
I am headed out today to find the oil.
Thanks again!
Don
Old 11-04-2020, 07:03 PM   #12
bigdawgfinley
Established Member

M.O.C. #22520
Clunking noise

The noise you hear could be completely different from what we experienced but it sounds similar. What I found after staying in one location for longer than two days was the axle springs and shackles making noise. What I did to cure it was to relevel the trailer. No more noise!
bigdawgfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:43 AM   #13
Biker bill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24657
Welcome to aj neighbor