Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2006, 02:55 AM   #1
Montana_4155
Established Member

M.O.C. #4155
toilet

Our Sealand toilet won't hold water anymore. We have cleaned it well around the seal (where the water goes down) as directed. I think the seal or "washer thingy" needs to be replaced. Do we have to take the toilet out in order to do this? Do we need a new toilet altogether? We'd appreciate any advice!

We are full timers for a year this month. Love the lifestyle!

Montana_4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:41 AM   #2
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
kARENBICKELL - I had the same problem and looked in the book, that came with my 3650RK - There is a stainless steel clamp around the toilet - if you bend down and look. I tightened that up a little at a time as it said to do in the Sealand book and that took care of the PROBLEM. Hope this helps...

John H (aka Hemlockusa)
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Some have helped this problem by cleaning the rubber seal and applying Vaseline to the rubber.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #4
rvivey
Established Member

M.O.C. #5060
I dealt with this problem since the RV was new. I found that the ball was catching the seal and dimpling it. I rotated the seal several times and it would fail after about a week. I had it repaired under warranty and they replaced the seal. The service center put one of the old style seals in that is supposed to be stiffer than the new ones and it has held for the last few weeks.
As a side note, until it was fixed I kept a plastic knife in the bathroom and put it between the ball and seal as it was closing to keep the ball from catching the seal. Maybe not the best idea but hey, it held water until I got it fixed.
rvivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:07 AM   #5
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Hey John(hemlockusa), I wanted to ask you something. In the storage compartment under the toilet, would you mind looking to see what kind of support there is. I have an aluminum substructure but it is shaped kind of like a horse shoe. It seems to me that the aluminum should be like a square to support completely around the toilet. I was just wondering if this was an error in construction or a design flaw. I know how it can be fixed and will try to post some pic's of the repair in late April.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote