Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Backcountryasm

M.O.C. #22275
Towing a High Country 379rd

Hello All, I wanted to post my workaround for deciding hitch & configuration etc..... I would prefer your reply's to help me think through items to ferret out anything I may have missed. Please don't bash this hitch or that hitch etc...... Constructive help is what I am after.

Tow vehicle driver; Owner of general contracting firm for 25 years, former USMC aircraft mechanic, DW and I are going to move up to fifth wheel from Rockwood signature ultra lite TT, very fit and am an ardent workout fanatic (until I got injured) recent back surgery to fix one herniated disc and have two others I am now babying. DW and I will be traveling to VA from Alabama to pick up the new unit, saving a considerable amount by traveling.

TV: 2017 ram2500, 6.7diesel, 6-4" bed, B&W turnover ball, Airlift 7500lb bags with on board air. I do not have the OEM puck system, ultra flex tonneu cover (try-fold hard cover).

5er: High country379rd, Lippert std. pin box

My considerations; wanted to keep the tonneu cover if possible, want to be able to remove 5er hitch for full bed accessibility considering my back situation, (Presently use Andersen weight distribution hitch for TT and love this products performance and ease of use.), Had doubts with turning radius and rubbing inside the bed from pinbox left and right swing.

Workaround: Local CW has a unit here but will not do business with these people so I checked it out locally and made my measurements, wish I could back up to unit and test this out. Looked up up technical drawings from Lippert for the pinbox, Andersen ultimate fifth wheel, B&W turnover ball, measured my bed. Drew the attached at a scale of 1/2" = 1 foot to determine placement and radius turn considering the location of all involved.

Determination: (set up; Andersen ultimate hitch with B&W turnover ball); Have figured my turn radius at a max of 80 degrees at cap contact with rear of cab. The pinbox will fully turn inside my truck bed rails without contacting, I can keep my tonneu cover. I am willing to compromise full 90 degree turning as I don't see where I will ever need to jackknife the trailer on purpose for the ability to remove the hitch easily. Will always need to be careful about my turning radius with this setup.

Looking for feedback for anything I may not have considered?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Towing layout.pdf (2.07 MB, 44 views)

Backcountryasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Knowing what I know now, I would go with a Reese Goosebox. cushioned ride, nothing in bed and no debates on voiding frame/kingpin warranty.

Oh and welcome to the forum and congrats!!!
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
Backcountryasm

M.O.C. #22275
That is an excellent idea! I hadn't thought of the reese gooseneck, I will investigate this. thanks
Old 07-30-2018, 05:18 PM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Have you checked inventory at northgaterv.com with lots in Ringgold, GA and Alcoa, TN (Knoxville)? Great people to do business with! On our third Montana bought from them.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
The Andersen Ultimate is relatively light, but what I have seen a few of the toyhauler crowd do with "conventional" hitches, is leave the fifth wheel hitched, but pull the pins attaching the hitch to the bed, then use the landing gear to lift the hitch out of the bed. Getting it aligned perfectly to re-mount the hitch to the bed can be a little fussy.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Welcome to the forum.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
X2 with WeBeFullTime. Just purchased Montana 3121 about 60 days ago. Also our 3rd unit from Billy.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #8
Backcountryasm

M.O.C. #22275
Thanks, I checked out Northgate RV and they have a really nice website. They are closer to my location and would be more convenient but they do not have the floorpan we are looking for. RV outlet is where we are going in Ringold VA. Any of you guys have any experiences with them? I have decided to bring her home with the AU, see how she tows. A local shop here sold me the AU for wholesale at $640 so this will be my best option for bringing her home. My DW and I are going to take it easy on the way home and do it in two days to give ourselves plenty of time to deal with any unexpected issues. We will settle in with the new coach and as suggested may possibly go to the Reese Gooseneck pin box. Sounds like the best option. I would rather purchase it and install it myself and have time for all the due diligence.